VOGONS

First post, by panda2297

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

I got a Voodoo 3 3500 AGP for my retro gaming. Basic specs are 1 GHZ Pentium III and 512 mb of ram. I can run quite a bit of Windows based games with 3dfx mode enabled. One of the games I noticed that has 3dfx support is Jetfighter III Platinum. This game supports running in Windows under command prompt, but recommends you boot into DOS. If I tell this game to run 3dfx during setup, the game crashes back to the main menu of the game. There is a 3DFX folder with this game and in that folder there is a isvoodoo.exe. As soon as I run that, I get: Glide version 2.4.1. _GlideInitEniironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo Graphics, none detected.

So what I am thinking here is that although I ran it in Windows with my Voodoo 3 properly running, it's DOS not supporting this Voodoo 3. I was thinking about maybe running this game in DOS. But I am not sure if I even can since I read around forums here that Voodoo 3 doesn't really do DOS gaming (correct me if I am wrong on this.) What makes my findings confusing is that my error on isvoodoo.exe references glide2x.dll. Doesnt' DOS actually use glide2x.ovl (at least what I am searching here.)

Would appreciate some direction on this. I'm thinking I may have to go out there and buy a voodoo 1 PCI

Reply 1 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should work with Voodoo 3. See DOS compatibility list (for Voodoo3):
download/file.php?id=39228&mode=view

I can't remember I did something special to get Jetfighter 3 working. Make sure glide2x.ovl is not present in the game directory (can be an old version). Are you running the game through Windows prompt or booting directly into DOS? Have you tried other DOS games?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask questions about old hardware and and its setup in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by panda2297

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for bringing up an old thread here. I didn't have the chance to revisit this issue and finally had some time to troubleshoot. Since there isn't much I can find online with this issue at all, I figured I would post my solution after many hours of troubleshooting.

Going back to Vetz's questions. I made sure glide2x.ovl was not present in my directory. I took a look at the 3DFX install on the JF3 Platinum CD. I saw where it dropped the temp files and I realized it never overwritten my C:\windows directory for the OVL. However, that was not even the problem.

In the end, I went to this forum where Vets screen shot was referenced in his screen shot to me. I went to the full page of the forum located here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

I then downloaded his patches and overwritten C:\JF3. So in conclusion, the 3DFX patches included with the CD never worked regardless if it was pure DOS or Windows. Now that I applied this patch, I'm good in both Windows and DOS. I got all the patches on there in case there is any other DOS games I want to play on my Voodoo 3.

Reply 5 of 5, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
panda2297 wrote:
Hey everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hey everyone,

I got a Voodoo 3 3500 AGP for my retro gaming. Basic specs are 1 GHZ Pentium III and 512 mb of ram. I can run quite a bit of Windows based games with 3dfx mode enabled. One of the games I noticed that has 3dfx support is Jetfighter III Platinum. This game supports running in Windows under command prompt, but recommends you boot into DOS. If I tell this game to run 3dfx during setup, the game crashes back to the main menu of the game. There is a 3DFX folder with this game and in that folder there is a isvoodoo.exe. As soon as I run that, I get: Glide version 2.4.1. _GlideInitEniironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo Graphics, none detected.

So what I am thinking here is that although I ran it in Windows with my Voodoo 3 properly running, it's DOS not supporting this Voodoo 3. I was thinking about maybe running this game in DOS. But I am not sure if I even can since I read around forums here that Voodoo 3 doesn't really do DOS gaming (correct me if I am wrong on this.) What makes my findings confusing is that my error on isvoodoo.exe references glide2x.dll. Doesnt' DOS actually use glide2x.ovl (at least what I am searching here.)

Would appreciate some direction on this. I'm thinking I may have to go out there and buy a voodoo 1 PCI

Yeah. As I'm finding out, Voodoo cards are a bit of a pain in the arse to deal with 🤣.