VOGONS

First post, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I have a question regarding redbook audio. I know that GoG, for instance, does mp3/ogg audio tracks via cuesheets for games that originally came with redbook audio tracks. However, that's not an option when you're trying to run games on original equipment, which is too slow for mp3 playback anyway.

Is there a workaround to get cd audio to play while running games with an image mounted? Uncompressed audio (.wav) should work, but I read that you can't have multiple tracks be part of an .iso file.

I guess I could always get an cd-drive, but it's hard to go back, once you remember how loud these things were...

Anyway, I would appreciate any hints!

Reply 1 of 8, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Daemon Tools can simulate redbook audio - as you mention you must convert the MP3s to WAV first, and then update the CUE file with a find/replace ".mp3" to ".wav". Then you just open the CUE file with Daemon Tools and it will locate the BIN CD image and tracks and simulate the CD ROM drive.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 2 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nero Burning ROM format (*.NRG) could include several tracks if the virtual writer was used.
The format can be read by various virtual CD-ROM drive(r)s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_(file_format)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 8, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, people! Now that I searched for "daemon tools audio cd" and related terms, I found a bunch of useful stuff.

I did create a cue/bin image (Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, 1992) that worked fine on my Win7 machine. However, on my 486 laptop the game freezes right after setting up sound when it's about to launch the intro. I also noticed that Windows 95C doesn't come with the CD audio player... I guess since the machine doesn't have a built in cd-rom drive. Anyway, I think I'll test some of the other virtual drive software available and maybe a different game to make sure the images are working and the issue is not somewhere else.

Reply 4 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Except Nero format is there any other image format with is lossless for cue+bin files? Most annoying for me that that 2 have files instead of 1.. BTW are Nero images supported by Dosbox?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 5 of 8, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost all CD formats do audio; ISO is the exception as a very simple format. BIN/CUE, CCD, MDF/MDS, BWI, MDX, etc. MDX is the single file version of MDF/MDS, for your OCD needs. NRG is probably fine too, but it won't duplicate copy protections like better proprietary formats.

DOSBox mounts ISO and BIN/CUE formats; I believe all the rest you need to mount externally.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are any freeware tools to create BWI, MDX,CCD on Windows?

I tried to convert cue+bin to iso, i know that is will lose audio tracks, but target file is also because of that much smaller.. Is there any experience if games are ok, if cd tracks are removed?
Im asking also because AFAIK there is no pure Dos virtual drive which is supporting anything else that iso.. and would be nice to use *.iso for game which are requiring cds.. without real cds exchange hassle..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 7 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With a little search engine effort you'll find ImgBurn, and maybe a lot more answered questions that don't lead to habitually bumping up old vogons threads as if they were still active discussions

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, already i tried ImgBurn it got stuck for minutes and nothing with iso which i have tried, if i remember correctly it was Carmageddon.

Otherwise: Point noted, i thing that i lesser evil use old related thread that create one with same topic, but yeah im lazy pig and sometimes in dont give seaching enough time..