VOGONS

First post, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day, I didn't have to remember my Win 95 Retails code, as a valid country code followed by any 7 digits would do the trick.

Fast forward 20 years, and I have a few copies of Win 95b with legit codes, and one copy of 95c without a code. Will 95c accept a 95b registration code? Or will random codes work, like with 95 retail? I want to use 95c on a P6 build, as it fixed some bugs that affected the P6 family chips.

I have been looking, but am unsure how to identify 95c (or OSR 2.5) from photos of CDs for sale, and most sellers are clueless. My preferred option would be to buy a legit copy with code, and use that, but as long as that doesn't appear to be an option, I need a workaround for the backup copy I have.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 1 of 3, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:

Will 95c accept a 95b registration code? Or will random codes work, like with 95 retail?

Win95C should accept any OEM serial number for Win95 RTM...OSR 2.5. Retail (boxed) edition of Win95 OSR (A, B or C) never exist. Only the original Win95 RTM was in both the retail version and in the OEM version. Any other were pirate copies.
The serial numbers for Win95 OEM&Retail are easy to find in Google.

debs3759 wrote:

I want to use 95c on a P6 build, as it fixed some bugs that affected the P6 family chips.

AFAIR, Win95C had the same kernel as Win95B (4.0.1111), which is not P6-optimized. The only difference from later OSR2 builds is the integrated installer of IE4. Any bug fixes and optimizations for Win95 B/C was released as updates for both releases of Windows 95.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 2 of 3, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ATauenis wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

Will 95c accept a 95b registration code? Or will random codes work, like with 95 retail?

Win95C should accept any OEM serial number for Win95 RTM...OSR 2.5. Retail (boxed) edition of Win95 OSR (A, B or C) never exist. Only the original Win95 RTM was in both the retail version and in the OEM version. Any other were pirate copies.
The serial numbers for Win95 OEM are easy to find in Google.

I know only the original Win 95 and the upgrade came in retail. I have two copies (one open and one sealed) of the upgrade. I have three OSR 2.1 oem disks with codes. I only have a pirate copy of OSR 2.5, but am looking for an original disc.

ATauenis wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

I want to use 95c on a P6 build, as it fixed some bugs that affected the P6 family chips.

AFAIR, Win95C had the same kernel as Win95B (4.0.1111), which is not P6-optimized. The only difference from later OSR2 builds is the integrated installer of IE4. Any bug fixes and optimizations for Win95 B/C was released as updates for both releases of Windows 95.

As far as I can tell, prior to OSR 2.0, MMX was flakey (hardly surprising, MMX was new!), and prior to the updates added to 2.5, P6 support was flakey. It's easier to install OSR 2.5 than an earlier version, as it needs less updates.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can use my 95B key fine with 95C.

If it's some OEM version that changes the key format a bit you'll just have to copy the 7 numbers part of your legit key in between some easy to remember numbers.

apsosig.png
long live PCem