VOGONS

List of CD-Rom Games for DOS 1990-94

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really? I thought that was well documented. Also, first CD-ROM game in general or for PC/DOS?

I’ve alwys had trouble finding a definitive list. It seems most places (mobygames included) will group in re-release versions in the same year as the initial release. Occasional they note the change but not always. Several sites say they know the first cd games but almost all of them say different things. My hope here is to bounce around what several people believe are accurate release dates. With hopes that if some believe others are wrong or have proof otherwise then there is a common place to discuss and get down to the truth.

This would just be a list of IBM PC Compatible/DOS CD games.

Reply 21 of 23, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
bjwil1991 wrote:
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

1993 - MegaRace

Huh. Funny enough, I have that game and the manual. My dad purchased that game in 1993-1994 when we got a CD-ROM drive for our family computer.

I bought it in 1995 from a local surplus software store, CD and a cheap-looking copy of the manual; I believe both came from a Packard Bell (MegaRace was bundled with some PB PCs back then).

root42 wrote:

I loved MegaRace. The game was itself rather 'meh'. But the FMV was great, and the game host brilliant.

Actor Christian Erickson did a great job as Lance Boyle IMHO; some find Lance grating and pompous, I just find him very funny (and strangely appealing) overall. The nifty Adlib soundtrack by Stéphane Picq is also noteworthy for me.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 22 of 23, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
I bought it in 1995 from a local surplus software store, CD and a cheap-looking copy of the manual; I believe both came from a P […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

1993 - MegaRace

Huh. Funny enough, I have that game and the manual. My dad purchased that game in 1993-1994 when we got a CD-ROM drive for our family computer.

I bought it in 1995 from a local surplus software store, CD and a cheap-looking copy of the manual; I believe both came from a Packard Bell (MegaRace was bundled with some PB PCs back then).

root42 wrote:

I loved MegaRace. The game was itself rather 'meh'. But the FMV was great, and the game host brilliant.

Actor Christian Erickson did a great job as Lance Boyle IMHO; some find Lance grating and pompous, I just find him very funny (and strangely appealing) overall. The nifty Adlib soundtrack by Stéphane Picq is also noteworthy for me.

Funny. We got that game with our Packard Bell Multimedia 486.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 23 of 23, by Interlace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a suitcase full of old jewelcases I saved since childhood stored at my dad's place, from memory in there's stuff like The Magic Death, Mad Dog McCree, Dragon's Lair, Lure of the Temptress, Fire & Ice, Inca, Blue Force, Flash Traffic, Ringworld.. and I've got a couple I can't remember atm that may go back to the very start. One of them only had like 2mb of data and ran on a 286.