VOGONS

First post, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get General MIDI or Roland mode to work with the Collector's CD-ROM version of TIE Fighter for a while, but every time I select either option from the music configuration utility it just freezes, OPL works fine, digital sound also works fine. The system is a P3/1.4GHz, genuine SB16 with Yamaha OPL chip on it, a wavetable daughtercard installed, an MT-32 connected to clone MusicQuest MPU-401 card. X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM works fine and music plays with either Roland option or General MIDI option so I know the devices are configured properly and are working. The same thing happens whether I use pure DOS or from within Windows 98SE. Trying different SB drivers seems to make no difference in Windows, and the Roland option should work with no drivers in DOS. At a loss at this point what could be the problem.

Reply 1 of 6, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it sort of works now. I am not sure why, but sometimes (about 1 out of 4 tries), the MIDI initializes properly and the game will work with proper music out of my MT-32 or SC-88, either with the MT-32 driver selected or the GM driver selected. Same result either way. Strangely, for it to work I have to select the SB16 MIDI in Windows 98 as the MIDI output device (it has a wavetable card attached to the wavetable header), and NOT the Roland MPU-401. The other 3 times the game freezes on loading. I only got it to work in Windows 98 DOS mode, much easier to close the app and restart. Might work in pure DOS also but I've not tried. I'm still not sure why it doesn't work most of the time, but at least now I can play the game when it does load with the wonderful adaptive MIDI soundtrack. Exactly the same thing happens with Dark Forces. X-Wing, which seems to use older drivers, always works properly. Anyway, someone might find this helpful and if anyone has any ideas what the problem is I would really appreciate it!

Reply 3 of 6, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

Resource conflicts?

No, I checked and there are no conflicts. That was the first thing I looked at. Every other game works just fine, except those that use imuse from circa 1995 seem to have issues.

Reply 4 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would help rule that out if you could give the assignments you're using. For one thing, if ACPI is enabled, you can't use the default IRQ9 interrupt for MIDI.

If there's like a comprehensive amount of other games that tested okay, it sure makes it interesting. The X-Wing series is known to be a little challenging for MIDI interfaces, but usually nothing this severe.

My troubleshooting would start with disconnecting the gameport joystick, then testing it without the daughterboard on the SB16, and lastly without the MPU card.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 6, by Betelgeuse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
firage wrote:

Would help rule that out if you could give the assignments you're using. For one thing, if ACPI is enabled, you can't use the default IRQ9 interrupt for MIDI.

If there's like a comprehensive amount of other games that tested okay, it sure makes it interesting. The X-Wing series is known to be a little challenging for MIDI interfaces, but usually nothing this severe.

My troubleshooting would start with disconnecting the gameport joystick, then testing it without the daughterboard on the SB16, and lastly without the MPU card.

The MIDI card is using IRQ 7 and IO address 330
SB16 is using A260 (not sure why, conflict with something, it somehow changed from 240 by itself), IRQ5, DMA 3 and 5, additional IO addresses of 300, and 388
ACPI is enabled and is using IRQ 9

I did have the joystick unplugged but that makes no difference. I haven't tried removing stuff yet or disabling ACPI but I may give it a shot.

Reply 6 of 6, by csico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Betelgeuse wrote on 2018-07-25, 01:14:

I've been trying to get General MIDI or Roland mode to work with the Collector's CD-ROM version of TIE Fighter for a while, but every time I select either option from the music configuration utility it just freezes, OPL works fine, digital sound also works fine. The system is a P3/1.4GHz, genuine SB16 with Yamaha OPL chip on it, a wavetable daughtercard installed, an MT-32 connected to clone MusicQuest MPU-401 card. X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM works fine and music plays with either Roland option or General MIDI option so I know the devices are configured properly and are working. The same thing happens whether I use pure DOS or from within Windows 98SE. Trying different SB drivers seems to make no difference in Windows, and the Roland option should work with no drivers in DOS. At a loss at this point what could be the problem.

I had similar issue with this game and I also have a P3/1.4GHz machine. What I did was to disable L1 or/and L2 cache in the BIOS. That resolved the issue and the game launched with General Midi. The game was too slow though in order to be fully playable but at least prooved that something to do with the super fast CPU could cause the issue. This actually also fixed my Sam and Max CD that had similar issues. My next try will be to slow down the CPU with a special software and see if that helps with the cache on. Anyway I hope I could help somehow. I know how annying these issues can be.
Best,
csico