VOGONS

is this a fraud ? Doom 1 Copy

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi

i recently found this auction on ebay :
edit: linked image removed.

This looks like a Fake Version.
The labels are askew, and disc 2 label text is not centered.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Matthias

Last edited by matze79 on 2018-08-19, 10:19. Edited 6 times in total.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Matze, generally we don't like evay links here anymore. Too much bad stuff happened

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks like the kind of disk labels I used to print as a kid for software I couldn't afford. 😀

Stay away from it! Or print your own labels. 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fake, fake, fake, fake!

Here is a google search for what the real disks look like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=doom+floppy+d … w=1920&bih=1094

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 11, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that we know these are fake, I'm curious to know if the disks contain the shareware version or the registered version.

It sure would be a rip-off if they turned out to be the shareware version. Imagine someone bought that listing because they wanted the full/registered version of Doom for their collection, only to find out that it's yet another shareware copy. 😠

Reply 6 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They do look old "ish". I think what we have here is a seller who is selling off a bootleg copy somebody probably gave him years ago that's been kept sitting. Maybe he isn't even aware they are bogus. I used to have a label printer and would try to make "professional" looking floppies to pass around to my friends and they always looked like these.

That said, I haven't seen the auction or the sellers reputation, just a bit of speculation.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's more than 2 disks then it's the full thing. but yeah this is fraud

KCompRoom2000 wrote:

It sure would be a rip-off if they turned out to be the shareware version. Imagine someone bought that listing because they wanted the full/registered version of Doom for their collection, only to find out that it's yet another shareware copy. 😠

You jest, but collecting physical shareware Doom is actually a thing within the Doom circles so that doesn't sound too bad.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 11, by Hunter54

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was the said provider of the game, I explain again that I have the game in 1993 in a box with manual in Munich at PC Fun for 85.- DM purchased. Members here like "matze79" and "Ter Roshak" have publicly denounced me as a scammer and insulted me. Furthermore, public pictures were published in which there is a personal right to the picture. In this line, I now give the entire process to the authorities or lawyer. Best regards

Reply 10 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

The labels are askew, and disc 2 label text is not centered.

That's more of a proof against a fake. If someone would fake the labels, why would he be so sloppy? Fakes are - in most cases - too perfect. Back then, labels or printings on diskettes were always imperfect. Just look at games from Origin or Microprose for example. The printing on each disk even from the same set looks different in position, brightness, font-weight, etc. It's quite funny when keeping in mind that those were professionally made disks.

Reply 11 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Hunter54 wrote:

I was the said provider of the game, I explain again that I have the game in 1993 in a box with manual in Munich at PC Fun for 85.- DM purchased. Members here like "matze79" and "Ter Roshak" have publicly denounced me as a scammer and insulted me. Furthermore, public pictures were published in which there is a personal right to the picture. In this line, I now give the entire process to the authorities or lawyer. Best regards

Good luck with the authorities and lawyers. No name was mentioned, etc.

Anyway, before insults get thrown around, topic is getting closed.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper