VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS members!

I have a simple question: What is the newest of Norton Ghost that supports XP (and supports a live CD solution)? I have a relatively base XP install on a 500GB HDD on my main i7-3770k system that I want to make a backup of, because I have had a... less than great experience with XP on this machine. The first install went by the way side due to a registry change (I did make a ddrescue backup of this install, but after restoring the install with this image, something didn't feel "right" about it), and the second re-install of XP's partition just a few days ago was accidentally deleted (whether by me accidentally or by a program under Windows 10, I'm unsure). I just finished reinstalling XP for the third time on this PC, and this time, I want to make a reliable image of this install, before anything happens to it again, and I know that Norton Ghost is a great program for that. Now, I know there are other options out there as covered here, but I know that Ghost is a preferred choice in the retro community, as opposed to other solutions, and so that's why I'm looking at Ghost for this task.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 2 of 9, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure why you would still be looking into Norton Ghost for disk imaging backup in year 2018. There are lots of superior solution in the Linux LiveCD rescue disk nowadays, completely free and open-sourced. I would recommend PartImage and FSArchiver for modern disk image backup solution. I had proven experience in backing up and restoring bootable NTFS partition from XP, Vista, Win7 all the way to Windows 10 using PartImage.

Reply 3 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stretch wrote:

Ghost 2003 can be booted from a floppy and supports XP.

Noted, although I don't think this is the latest version of Ghost that can do that for XP, no?

kjliew wrote:

Not sure why you would still be looking into Norton Ghost for disk imaging backup in year 2018. There are lots of superior solution in the Linux LiveCD rescue disk nowadays, completely free and open-sourced. I would recommend PartImage and FSArchiver for modern disk image backup solution. I had proven experience in backing up and restoring bootable NTFS partition from XP, Vista, Win7 all the way to Windows 10 using PartImage.

IDK. Like I said, I thought something was off when I restored that image of XP using ddrescue. It could have been just me, but I thought that that solution wasn't the best. Also, looking at PartImage's website, it states that NTFS support is still experimental - not to say your experience with making NTFS images is invalid or anything, but I want to have more confidence in my backup solution beyond "experimental". That's why I'm looking at Norton Ghost, since that was a tried-and-true backup solution for Windows, and why I am looking for the latest version of Ghost, for the best experience in backing up XP.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 4 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I strongly suggest Acronis TrueImage. It's not free, but its brand specific versions are free. Western digital and Seagate has free versions of it and it supports a hassle free live CD option.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/dis … zard-master-dl/

https://www.wd.com/products/features/acronis.html

Only requirement is that, your source or target HDD (internal or external) must be a Seagate (or a WD for that matter).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
I strongly suggest Acronis TrueImage. It's not free, but its brand specific versions are free. Western digital and Seagate has f […]
Show full quote

I strongly suggest Acronis TrueImage. It's not free, but its brand specific versions are free. Western digital and Seagate has free versions of it and it supports a hassle free live CD option.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/dis … zard-master-dl/

https://www.wd.com/products/features/acronis.html

Only requirement is that, your source or target HDD (internal or external) must be a Seagate (or a WD for that matter).

Yeah, I heard of that. Might try it alongside Norton Ghost. It is the cloning software for Windows these days, or at least one of the commercial ones.

Still (not to sound mean but), no one has answered my original question: which NG version is the last version to support XP? Don't all versions after 2001 support XP?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 7 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I have original norton ghost 15.0 from 2010 that supports XP, Vista and windows 7

Yeah, I thought that would be the case, since XP was still relevant during 7's era, and there was nothing on the Wikipedia page that mentioned that NG15 didn't support XP.

Now, about getting NG15...

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8 of 9, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The nice thing about Ghost 10 is that also includes Ghost 2003. Ghost 2003 from my recollection is the fastest Ghost for XP. And Ghost 2003 also can be booted from floppy. I used to visit a site called radified that had a lot of discussion on Ghost.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 9 of 9, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stretch wrote:

The nice thing about Ghost 10 is that also includes Ghost 2003. Ghost 2003 from my recollection is the fastest Ghost for XP. And Ghost 2003 also can be booted from floppy. I used to visit a site called radified that had a lot of discussion on Ghost.

That's good to know.

Speaking of Ghost. What's the latest version to support Windows 98, do you know perchance?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png