VOGONS

First post, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I'm not sure how interesting this is to anyone.

I installed a network adapter into my Windows 98SE machine and was curious if I could check the VOGONS forums with. Well, I guess I can. For those who are curious, here are my system specs:

• PIII 1000MHz (socket 370)
  • 1.5GB RAM (only 1GB visible to Windows)
  • Opera 9.64

Reply 1 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VOGONS uses very simple and light forum software. I could browse and reply even on a K6-II 500MHz without much hassle. I love forums like this. 😁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 7, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IE6 is also very fast on this site on either 98 or 2k. Too bad 99% of websites added https a couple of years ago so I can't open anything other than vogons anymore on old pc's. Latest firefox on 2K can acces a lot of websites however, haven't had much luck with Opera.

This topic is relevant to this one:

Portal or webpage friendly to old web browsers ?

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

To browse most sites and also TLS 1.2 sites you'll need to use Opera 10.70 Build 3488 (for 95) or 12.02 (for 98 with Kernelex) (enable TLS 1.2 and disable anything older in Opera).
You'll possibly still need to use a proxy for ciphers and certs not supported by Opera but the TLS 1.2 sites I tried worked.

You can browse TLS 1.2 sites by using Retrozilla, K-Meleon (KernelEx) or Qtweb (Kernelex) but sites won't render correctly (Retrozilla) and you'll need to disable javascript for K-Meleon and Qtweb.

You can browse TLS 1.2 sites without worrying about the browser supporting TLS by using a proxy but most TLS 1.2 sites won't render correctly on browsers that aren't Opera, K-Meleon or QtWeb.

Probably best hope for 9x if relying on the installed browser to render is for someone to modify the leaked Presto Opera code or fix the Javascript issue in K-Meleon and Qtweb.

Web Render Proxy would be the next.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information. I did a little more digging and this is what I ended up doing to my system.

I followed these steps:

Here's the KernelEx Wiki page for Opera.