VOGONS

First post, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know it's not software but wasn't quite sure were to place this tread. It is software and hardware related. The early '90s was an interesting time and one I fondly remember quite well. Dos battles, Windows 3.x and OS/2 were the talk of town tech wise wrt x86s. Apple had some interesting products and the most sold single model personnal computer of all time, C64, finally stopped production. Linux was born. At this time there were were a ton of computer rags being sold around the world relating to computer products. Here in New Zealand the most viewed were Australian magazines. At work the odd US or UK mag would show and it would show the various market differences. The UK rags seemed to have the most variety and a few months old, where as the US were more x86 vs Apple and more corporate orientated.

The two most viewed Australian mags for me were Your Computer and Australian Personal Computer. I loved viewing the glossy ads, reading about new tech and my most favorite sections were letters to the editors as well as the trouble shooting sections. Your Computer produced a Tech Tips compilation of it's trouble shooting sections a couple times a year. I recently come across a couple these digests while getting reacquainted with the stuff I had boxed up. A rediscovery if you will.

20190930_135047[1].jpg
Filename
20190930_135047[1].jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What mags did you guys oogle over back then?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the US it was Compute! and PC Magazine being a couple of the major ones, and Computer Gaming World also covered plenty of gaming relevant tech in the time as well. Yeah there's a heavy x86 PC bias 😀 though there are times when CGW covered some notable Mac games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here in NL we had a few local magazines in the 80s and early 90s, generally focused on a single brand/machine type, mostly targeting the hobby/home computer market. Then there were a few more 'profesionally oriented' magazines, which mostly covered PCs and some Apple stuff. Especially in the 80s there was also crossover between magazines aimed at electronics and computers.

Other than that we got a lot of magazines from the UK, which were awesome. In those days I mainly focused on Amiga, so I mostly bought/read Amiga Format and CU Amiga. In the 90s I got more serious about PCs, so I also read PC Format on a regular basis.
These UK magazines were full of interesting stories, background, and even contained programming courses and such. Each month they'd have a cover disk included, with lots of cool software. Lots of shareware, demo software, and even programming tools etc.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The artwork in the UK mags was fantastic as well. Very colorful and humorous. An old friend of mine gave me his complete set of INPUT magizines from 1984-85. It was a complete course on programming for the most popular 8-bit systems at the time by Marshall Cavendish Publishing. You can now veiw them and download the set from archive.org https://archive.org/details/inputmagazine

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Between Dec 95 till 2001? I subscribed to PC User Australia. Only recently did the magazines get thrown away something leaked on them in my parents garage.
I still have all the CD's though which at least in later years had an electronic version on the disk.

Articles were interesting if biased towards MS (WinME was recommended even while it was still in beta for months) Always liked the annual tweaking edition, with my first one still including Win3x.
And yes I lusted over those price lists at the back of the mag like faster had drives, fancy sound cards, but was still at school so couldn't buy anything

Reply 5 of 5, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PC Format here. Collected number 1 to 1996 or 1997. Actually just going through them all now checking out some of the programs my lowly 486 wouldn't run at the time.

Attachments

• r.win 98 games 1.jpg
    Filename
    r.win 98 games 1.jpg
    File size
    874.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception