VOGONS

First post, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I put together a system and I can't for the life of me get Win98SE installed without seeing one of an assortment of crashes.

eg..
Fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C0038D1E in VXD VFAT(01)
General Protection fault in module SETUPX.DLL
WIN98SETUP caused a General Protection Fault in module USER.EXE
MSGSRV32 caused in invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL

After configuring date/time, I cannot get past "Upgrading system settings" without a crash. Though sometimes it crashes even before then. Pretty randomly. Hoping maybe someone can help.

basic system specs:
AOpen AX59Pro
K6-2 550
256MB pc100
Voodoo 3000 AGP
Audiodrv ESS 1868f
10GB Seagate HD (ST310014A)

My install procedure involves:

Format c: with super fdisk, then did a surface scan. No errors.
Boot off Win98 Cd to dos prompt.
Copy win98 dir to C:\
run setup in c:\win98

Tried:
-clearing mbr first (using super fdisk) then let Win98 setup partition and format the drive before install.
-swapped out the video card. (Replaced Voodoo 3 with MX 440)
-removed sound card completely.
-updated the bios from 2.34 to 2.36
-lowered AGP aperture to 4M

I've done a full run of Memtest86+ and it passed with no errors with 256MB installed.
Pulled one of the mem sticks anyway, and tried again. Then, keeping only one dimm slot populated, have tried with 4 different 128MB Dimms. Still no luck.

Arggh!

Reply 1 of 4, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two things that spring in mind, first off there could be some kind of IRQ conflict with the IDE controller for the HDD or CD, try removing that ESS audio card and doing a bios defaults to make sure that's not the case. Otherwise, it might be bad caps 🙁

I'd try another OS as well, try to install Windows 2000 or XP or even ME just to see if you get similar errors or other BSODs during installation or general instability.

Reply 2 of 4, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WinXP setup bluescreens with STOP: 0x0000007E.

I tried disabling bios mem caching and shadowing. Also pulled the AGP card and popped in a Rage II PCI card. Still bluescreens. The mobo's appearance is good. Arrived very clean. No visible bulging on any caps or anything. <sigh>

Reply 3 of 4, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I moved JP4 on the mobo to set CPU/AGP/PCI clk to 95/64/32 (was 100/66/33). That seemed to help. Got Win98 installed, but now it's freezing (kb/mouse, anyway) when it boots up and tries to detect a PNP monitor.

Reply 4 of 4, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I missed your point about removing the sound card all together, so I guess that one's out. The fact that it BSODs when installing WinXP does not bode well, nor that it manages to go slightly further when using lower clocks. The fact that the caps look alright on the outside, doesn't mean that they haven't died/started to fail, unfortunately it's not always something you can visually make sure of 🙁. Can't think of much else to try, other than perhaps looking at the board and comparing to a high-res photo online to see if you're missing any SMDs.