VOGONS

First post, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, did anyone experience frequent freezes / crashes on Windows 95 while gaming?
Some games seem to work ok, but others sometimes freez up and block the whole system (keyboard, mouse, everything - i have to reboot and go through the scandisk each time...)

These are the setup specs:
- Motherboard: M558 VXPro II chipset
- CPU: Pentium MMX 166mhz
- RAM: 64 MB EDORAM
- VIDEO: S3 Virge/DX 2Mb
- HDD: Quantum Fireball 15GB (only 8GB available and using) - no bad sectors
- SOUND: AudioPlus 64003D (CM8830) ISA

I am suspecting the HDD, because I had freezes in various games ( last ones that froze up we're HERETIC (1994), HERCULES (1997) and GTA 1.
Sometimes they freeze quick and sometimes after a good 2-3 levels of playing, it's never the same timeframe)

I have also installed a PCI USB card on it, and managed to get the USB ports working. Transfer speeds are very low but it works 80% of the times if you copy few files at a time.. Sometimes while copying random files it also freezes up the system ( probably bigger files..) I know USBs are problematic in WIN95 so I am glad it works at least for small files.

Regarding hardware, Is there a chance the PCI card is causing these general issues or is the HDD the cause ?
Or is it a software problem and it's just a very problematic OS ? i have pretty much installed and tweaked everything. it should be fine

Last edited by kasper21 on 2019-10-24, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
realnc wrote:
kasper21 wrote:

Hi guys, did anyone experience frequent freezes / crashes on Windows 95 while gaming?

All the time. Windows 98SE fixed quite a bit of that in my case.

I will setup WIN98 on another machine also, this one is just for WIN95 at the moment. So it's just a faulty OS ? no way to stabilize it ?

Reply 3 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote:
kasper21 wrote:

Yup. My experience was about the same. The one and only time I saw Win95 being stable was on my father's 386DX40 (Win95 RTM). 😀

Also..

kasper21 wrote:

If my memory serves me well, Win95 had no special support for MMX yet. Sure, it "just works" there and games can make use of MMX, but..
Windows 98(SE) was the first release to truely support MMX or was MMX-aware, at least. Both the kernal(s) and DirectX 6.1 could make use of MMX features.
If I remember correctly, DirectX 6.1 even accelerated Direct3D via MMX, so a 3D graphics card was considered unnecessary (for a short amount of time)..
Anyway, that being said, DirectX 6.x could technically also be installed on Win95.. So perhaps the difference in practice is not that much. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Yup. My experience was about the same. The one and only time I saw Win95 being stable was on my father's 386DX40 (Win95 RTM). :) […]
Show full quote
realnc wrote:
kasper21 wrote:

Yup. My experience was about the same. The one and only time I saw Win95 being stable was on my father's 386DX40 (Win95 RTM). 😀

Also..

kasper21 wrote:

If my memory serves me well, Win95 had no special support for MMX yet. Sure, it "just works" there and games can make use of MMX, but..
Windows 98(SE) was the first release to truely support MMX or was MMX-aware, at least. Both the kernal(s) and DirectX 6.1 could make use of MMX features.
If I remember correctly, DirectX 6.1 even accelerated Direct3D via MMX, so a 3D graphics card was considered unnecessary (for a short amount of time)..
Anyway, that being said, DirectX 6.x could technically also be installed on Win95.. So perhaps the difference in practice is not that much. 😉

I have DirectX 8 running on it. Should I try to downgrade to 6.1 ? would it make any visible difference? I am not after stellar performance, I just want more stability, to be able to play games for hours without freezing..
I also use various old graphics software on it, they seem to do ok for now.

Reply 6 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
realnc wrote:

Why do you want to keep W95 on it? I thought W98SE is fully compatible with all W95 games.

For using some older software that was intended for Win 3.1 / 95 .
Also for variety purposes and experimentation. I have multiple PCs with different operating systems each.

Reply 7 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just trying Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and on Level1 i got Blue screen " DISK WRITE ERROR" - Unable to write to disk in drive C: ... is this a HDD issue or the same problematic Windows95?

Reply 8 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kasper21 wrote:

I was just trying Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and on Level1 i got Blue screen " DISK WRITE ERROR" - Unable to write to disk in drive C: ... is this a HDD issue or the same problematic Windows95?

Do a virus check.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:
kasper21 wrote:

Do a virus check.

really? viruses already? i just put the system up and running for a few days, no network connection on it and just installed ISO images of some programs.
The games we're also copied from another modern PC and no warnings on Win10, files seemed clean.
I hope that's not the case though...

also, sometimes during defrag or scandisk I get notified that the process started over because of "a new write to the hard drive" so something is writing to it from time to time resetting those processes and maybe also causing the games to freeze? would that be a possible cause? some background process?

I really hope to find a solution, if possible, otherwise how did people even game on Win95 back then? 3 out of 5 games seem to crash on me..
I remember my first Win95 PC from 24 years ago and I know the occasional Blue Screen would sometimes come up but the games ran pretty smoothly, I remember gaming for hours without any problems and with much lower specs back then (still a socket 7 though)

Reply 10 of 17, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure that your CPU fan is working and your CPU heatsink is installed straight with a tiny drop of fresh thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink. Try MemTest86. If MemTest86 doesn't identify a RAM problem, then try a different video card. If a different video card doesn't fix the problem, then clone the hard drive and run from the clone. If the problem persists, then install Windows 98. If Windows 98 doesn't fix it, then try using a known good power supply. If you still have problems after that, then take the motherboard out and screw it to the wall of your retro computing area as art.

Reply 11 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
STX wrote:

Make sure that your CPU fan is working and your CPU heatsink is installed straight with a tiny drop of fresh thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink. Try MemTest86. If MemTest86 doesn't identify a RAM problem, then try a different video card. If a different video card doesn't fix the problem, then clone the hard drive and run from the clone. If the problem persists, then install Windows 98. If Windows 98 doesn't fix it, then try using a known good power supply. If you still have problems after that, then take the motherboard out and screw it to the wall of your retro computing area as art.

CPU fan is working fine, gets kind of warm but it's in the normal range I guess, I thought termal paste was not a necessity for these older CPUs <200mhz, but I will check that also.
I also did try using 2 video cards, before the S3 Virge/DX, it had a Cirrus Logic 1MB, and still problematic with both...

Last edited by kasper21 on 2019-10-25, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kasper21 wrote:

...I thought termal paste was not a neccessity for these older CPUs <200mhz....

Yeah, you're right. I've been using nothing older than a Pentium III CPU for a decade, so I forgot that Pentium 1 CPUs didn't use thermal paste. 😊 You could add thermal paste for good measure though!

Reply 13 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every MMX cpu I've come across has had thermal paste on it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 15 of 17, by kasper21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I put in another HDD (also a Quantum) and made a clean install on it along with all the drivers and programs. Added thermal paste also on the CPU.
Unfortunately I am still getting some errors and the USB file transfers are... terrible... It freezes the system 8 out of 10 times now...

In games, I tried a random one (Hercules) and after some time I got " A Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxx in VXD IOS(04): " ... after a lot of digging online I found something related to the SB16 audio driver.. not sure if it's the same issue but it's worth a try.. i took out the ISA sound card I had and will check and see if the games still freeze alot..

Reply 17 of 17, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only reason to install Win95 is Brian Eno's intro sound. Can't think of any other reason - but this one is quite compelling.

What I may advice is quite tedious: set up you Windows 95 to boot into it's pure DOS mode (i.e. set BOOTGUI=0 in msdos.sys) and set up autoexec and himem routines, like you would in pure MS-DOS. If your DOS games go on crashing - it is hardware problem (DMA conflicts, bad memory, PSU voltage fluctuations, or motherboard capacitors gone dry).

The other way to test Win95 - Is running it with minimum hardware. If you strip your rig to a single RAM module, videocard and Mouse/keyboard (without sound) - and it stops crashing - it means you have dead or conflicting hardware.

Or you may try Win98SE to try and replicate your issues on this bugfixed OS.

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png