VOGONS

Reply 21 of 26, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've setup an experiment to verify which version of Firefox would be the fastest. So I've recompiled every last ESR version from 10 to 52, in each case using the same compile (g++ 4.9.2) and compiler options (-march=athlon-xp -O3). The CPU was slowed down to 500 MHz and FSB to 100 MHz in order to make the results more pronounced. Each version of Firefox had its own profile. It is setup in private mode to avoid cache effects, and a blank run of Firefox (to allow it to setup the profile) was done in each case.

The test measures how much time it takes from starting Firefox at the command line to load https://www.google.com/ (until the circle at the top left stops spinning):

Firefox 54 (2017-03)  : 35 seconds
Firefox 45 (2016-06) : 27 seconds
Firefox 38 (2015-05) : 21 seconds
Firefox 38 (with UOC) : 17 seconds
Firefox 31 (2014-07) : 17 seconds
Firefox 24 (2013-09) : 10 seconds
Firefox 17 (2012-11) : 10 seconds
Firefox 10 (2012-01) : 9 seconds

However Firefox version 24 and below have problems correctly displaying the page with the text entry field being misplaced.

So it seems to me the "sweet spot" is around version 38, which provides decent performance and good compatibility with modern web standards. The UOC patch does indeed make the browser noticeably faster, even without NoScript.

Reply 24 of 26, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote:

Thank you for your hard work! Just to report that I tried the latest version of your patch on Debian wheezy (7.11) with Iceweasel 38.8 and it's working extremely well. Cheers!

Thank you for testing it! I am developing a new, fully rewritten from scratch version, which speeds things up even further. Unfortunately work and real life is slowing development down, but I hope to release it before Christmas.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 2GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Gecube Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB OC | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | Creative Sound Blaster Live! CT4620 | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 25 of 26, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE!

All the versions of the UOC Patch, including the Enforcer, have been rewritten from scratch. This time, I have extensively reworked the tweaks used for the rendering engine, which allowed me to double the scrolling speed of the patched browsers, increasing the general responsiveness. Loading times have also been shortened, thanks to some tweaks backported from K-Meleon Goanna. The New Moon 28-specific version of the UOC Patch has been withdrawn, since now the Patch no longer comes with E10S enabled, due to compatibility issues on some machines with some video cards (especially ATI ones). Users of the SeaMonkey browser, especially version 2.48, can use the 45 ESR version of the Patch once again.

As all the changes are too many to be listed in a single post, I will limit myself to say that all the versions of the Patch have been extensively remade and tailored upon the peculiarities of each codebase, and this has required me to write thirteen different revisions, before coming out with the final version, which might be subjected to minor updates in future, as usual. I have successfully managed to mitigate the occasional stuttering issue that affects Mozilla based browsers, especially Firefox 45 ESR SSE, and thanks to the backporting of some parameters from K-Meleon Goanna and Serpent 52, I have managed to dramatically improve the overall speed of the browser and reduce the page loading times. This, at least on the machines where the pre-release versions have been tested, proved to be a real game changer, turning old computers, no longer usable on the web, into decent web browsing machines. I also have reintroduced favicons, since some people complained about the lack of those in the previous versions of the Patch. The Awesome bar has been disabled, keeping only the autocomplete feature active.

Please update to the newest version of the UOC Patch and the Enforcer, and start with a new, clean profile, as a "dirty" profile might hamper the performance of the patched browser.

The new build number is N2M.

Happy RDDin'!

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 2GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Gecube Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB OC | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | Creative Sound Blaster Live! CT4620 | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 26 of 26, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE!

The 38 ESR and 52 ESR versions of the UOC Patch have been updated with the new scrolling routines that have been previously implemented in the 45 ESR version. This improved the scrolling speed and smoothness even on those codebases.

Please update to the latest version!