VOGONS

First post, by bandhercules

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello.

nice to see people are still using old machines and software which run fast.

I have Windows98se with KernelEx installed and they are very fast. A few days before I installed windowsxp sp3 in a new partition, so I have Windows98se in C and WindowsXp in D.

I did this because of the restrictions of internet to old windows.

Sadly I could run only Opera20 which is very slow(even google search is irritating). All other programs give the error that they could not be installed due to sse2 instuctions my processor cant handle. If something was installed, it couldnt be executed. I hit the exe to run and I get the message that the program couldnt be initilalized correctly and will terminate
0xc000001d error

I couldnt install chrome, I couldnt run maxthron, slimjet browser, skype etc etc

Its so sad, I was expecting something better from winxp. Opera 12.18 in win98se is SUPER FAST no matter the restrictions in internet. Opera 20 in winxp is slow even though most elements in web pages manage to work and be active. They didnt let me install opera 36 because of the annoying sse2 prohibition and demand.

Even the cursor in winxp moves very slow. I use the keyboard cause I dont like mouse. In win98 the cursor runs like hell, in winxp I have made the same settings (in setting for disabled people) putting full speed and it moves with difficulty.

Do you have any hacking solution for my winxp? I want fast internet that works.

I have pentiume III 667 mhz(some programs give 662 or even the satanic number 666), and 1 gb ram.

Reply 1 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unlike 98SE, which is DOS-based, Windows XP is part of the NT-line and naturally needs much more resources to run equally fast as 98SE. You can disable unneeded services, especially "Designs", which will make XP look like Windows 2000 - speeding things up quite a bit. But it will never run as fast as 98SE on that hardware. A Pentium III @ 667 MHz with 1 GB of RAM is also just too weak for a good experience with Windows XP (unless you stick with software that was available *back then*) - and for modern internet browsing anyway. Hell, a single tab in my Firefox often uses more RAM than your system has in total. 😁

Reply 2 of 3, by bandhercules

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey found this gem. SeaMonkey 2.38 is the tool for you if youre using old hardware and software. No sse2 or other processor or memory restrictions.

All pages and their elements work perfectly!

It is not super fast but it's neither slow and irritating! Good work!
The only shame is the lack of greek language(i can even see turkish, chinese editions)

But since it works fine at a decent speed, go and pick it up!
https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fww … 0N2oyNVu9Nu9JAA

As for slow cursor movement, maybe you could hack the registry editor settings if you know how to do it. Still havent found how.

WinXp seem far better and useful now.

Reply 3 of 3, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Discard anything Chrome-based if your hardware is old. I don't know the rest of your specs (video card? HDD or SSD? onboard or PCI controller?), but in the link below you can find way better browsers for XP, developed by the MSFN user Roytam1, which support the modern web and security protocols:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browse … -builds-part-2/

As you are using an SSE-only machine, I recommend you to try the following browsers, to find out which one runs better on your system:

-Firefox 45 ESR SSE (45 ESR codebase with TenFourFox enhancements)
-New Moon 27 (38 ESR codebase)
-Serpent IA32 (52 ESR codebase)
-K-Meleon 76 Goanna (38 ESR codebase)

Also, you can optimize the performance of those browsers by using my UOC Patch and Enforcer, two custom configuration files for Mozilla based browsers that optimize them for old hardware. A Pentium III Tualatin-S (overclocked to 1.7GHz) is my main computer, runs XP and with my patch, browsing the web (with the browsers listed above) is quite enjoyable, much more than stock settings as Mozilla browsers are terribly unoptimized out of the box.

You can find the UOC Patch and Enforcer at the link below:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178306-the-uoc-p … r-old-hardware/

You can also find it on VOGONS, as I posted it here as well:

The UOC and QUOC Patch - An attempt at optimizing Mozilla based browsers for old machines

Keep in mind that every codebase uses a different version of the Patch and Enforcer.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3