VOGONS

First post, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have this weird and VERY annoying problem.

For instance I install Prince of Persia from a A: , all good. Then I want something from another disk and when doing a DIR command it shows the content of the PRINCE floppy.

And now I want to install Windows3.1 from floppy but I can't because when it asks for disk 2 it keeps seeing disk 1 despite I swapped disks.

HELP.

Reply 2 of 12, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's weird. I don't have a direct solution.

What version of DOS are you using?
Do you load any software in autoexec.bat and config.sys? Have you tried disabling this?
Maybe you have some more information on the used hardware?

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this using dosbox or real hardware? I assume it's real hardware since you've tried different parts on it but you can never be sure

If it's dosbox, use the latest SVN where you can refresh the drive using some combination (ctrl+f4 I think? something like that)
If it's real hardware do a clean boot from a floppy disk without loading anything at all and see what happens

Reply 4 of 12, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well ... it's 386 upgraded to 486 with a 4GB CF on a UMC i/o card installed with EZ-drive and then MSDOS 6.22 on top of it. I have 128mb cards also with EZdrive and a plain vanilla MSDOS 6.22 and those don't have the problem. I must say finding a compatible CF card was a bit of a pain and for instance on a GOLDstar i/o card I got artifacts already in the bios and installing it with EZdrive didn't work. Another 2GB sandisk and a fake 4gb sandisk didn't want to play but a real maxtor 2gb drive did it's job. I am not sure if this is or can be related to my problem. I installed the current CF without probs. I have cutemouse and my cdromdriver in config.sys, disabled already.

Furthermore all I did was using memmaker. But I somehow doubt this is related.

When I boot from the msdos install disk BEFORE ezdrive can boot, the same happens.

Reply 5 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you need to use DRIVPARM to inform DOS that your floppy drive does not support the "disk changed" line

what type of drive is it (1.44MB, 1.2MB, etc)?

Reply 9 of 12, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SimonV wrote on 2020-01-23, 14:43:

It's a CHINON F-357 1.44mb drive.

Interesting, that is the same floppy drive used in several roland midi sound modules and sequencers. But they obviously have the ability to detect a disk switch since when you pop out the disk and put in a new one, the module will read it and then show you the first song ready to play that it read. There was even a jumper when I swapped in my GoTEK that I think I had to put in place to support it?

So yeah, just kinda surprised to hear this drive doesn't appear to support the disk change?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 10 of 12, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I don't believe in this either because it does work with other CF cards and a real hd connected. The only thing that is changed so far is actually the 4gb CF. But then again I could install MSDOS so I am really in the dark here.

That drive is also the drive use for the Commodore Amiga A3000 and A4000 but as the "357a" ... it spins at half speed to make HD disks work in those machines for whatever reason. So it's probably one of the most versatile drives out there. And very much sought after also.

Reply 11 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SimonV wrote on 2020-01-23, 17:23:

The only thing that is changed so far is actually the 4gb CF.

So it used to work with the same drive but now it doesn't? If so I'll repeat it, create a clean boot disk (format a: /s), boot from it and see if anything has changed

Reply 12 of 12, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the problem. I disabled the onboard floppy port in favor of a port on my ISA i/o controller and this somehow had this a "special effect" . I reverted back to the onboard floppy port and it's ok again. Still bizar this doesn't happen with ALL my installs.