VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to use UniVBE to allow for VESA resolutions in Duke 3D like 320x400 but not having any luck. I’ve tried on a few cards like a Tseng 6000 and now a Matrox Mystique as shown below. Any ideas?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you don't like VESA 640x480 or 800x600?

For Matrox Mystique, IIRC it requires a supplement VESA TSR to support low-res VESA modes. Typically, UniVBE is not required for Matrox Mystique but I don't remember if it will supplement low-res VESA modes for Matrox Mystique. UniVBE comes with VBETEST which you can use to check if the low-res VESA mode used by the game is available.

Reply 2 of 5, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-19, 22:51:

So you don't like VESA 640x480 or 800x600?

Sometimes I like to play on slower machines and find it to be a good compromise. It works on a Riva 128 without UniVBE but really curious how to get it working on some of these other cards I have. I thought UniVBE would be the answer but maybe I’m not setting it up correctly or as you mentioned need a TSR?

Reply 3 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just use VBETEST that comes with UniVBE to list the VESA modes. You can use it with or without UniVBE. If the low-res VESA modes showed up, then the game will work.

Some companies believed VBIOS resident memory footprint can be as large as 64KiB, some didn't just to be 100% IBM PC AT compatible. So they would have to trim the fonts & video modes table to fit the main VBIOS into 32KiB and the rest in VBIOS supplement TSR. I know Matrox Mystique has VBIOS supplement TSR, but I am not quite sure if it will offer low-res VESA modes. Some companies also decided that low-res VESA modes were not worthy of support. Most games would just use VGA mode 13h or mode-X, so the design would prioritize hi-res VESA modes starting at 640x400.

Reply 4 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any ideas?

Use older UniVBE version. 6.70 dropped some lowres modes (at least without additional configuring).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 5, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hail to the king, baby

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.