VOGONS

First post, by porksmuggler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can always demo each, but for Windows 98 SE, I'm looking for opinions on which is preferable. Though I imagine given the company's history , the answer will be neither. I've heard good things about Disk Doctor, Win Doctor, etc. from earlier versions, but never bothered testing any out in the past 30 years.

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it depends on if you are going to run an older MSDOS like 5.0. Norton Utils was useful before Microsoft did their thing and brought out equivalents. I used Disk Doctor and Defrag before DOS 6. I think it had a system info tool that was ok too but there are better options. The Norton stuff for WIndows was not very useful really and some of it was a waste of resources.

Reply 4 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
porksmuggler wrote on 2024-04-17, 15:14:

Obviously the case for any newer versions, but not the case apparently with Norton Utilities for DOS, which is why I'm asking about these first two Windows releases.

My advice would be to not even bother with those first two windows releases,
aside from experiencing it.
Having it installed on a system you will be using regularly is just not recommended, nor really beneficial.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 6, by porksmuggler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the replies, I have now experienced it. SpeedDisk and Disk Doctor did look as useful alternatives to Windows ME tools supplanted to 98, but the rest, TSRs, bloat, all typical Nortons sadly.

Reply 6 of 6, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
porksmuggler wrote on Yesterday, 14:44:

Thank you for the replies, I have now experienced it. SpeedDisk and Disk Doctor did look as useful alternatives to Windows ME tools supplanted to 98, but the rest, TSRs, bloat, all typical Nortons sadly.

but unfortunately NDD itself is also a DOS16M bloat.