VOGONS

Win98SE: installing from .img files?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! In the past, I downloaded a lot of programs from REMOVED and most of them came in the form of .7z archives containing .img files. I've been able to mount them on a Win11/64 laptop under DOXBox-X. However, I want to install them on a Win98SE tower. I can decompress them to floppies but want a better approach. Is there one? For most DOS programs, I can simply copy the install from my Win11/64 laptop.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-05-03, 15:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 3 of 5, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GoTec seems to be a hardware-based floppy drive emulator, but the system has a real floppy drive. I want a software-based system to temporarily replace the hardware with a disk image file. Again, I can copy over installations from DOSBox-X.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 4 of 5, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All the files from the floppies in one directory on a pre-formatted HDD, run set up from there. I'm not sure this works from floppies, it does from CD.

But booting it? What about floppy emulation boot off a CDRW?

I have a PXE server on my LAN, and serving the boot floppy as an img from that would work...... in fact, a server-side switcheroo of floppy image files might mean the whole floppy install can be done off PXE and memdisk.