VOGONS

First post, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to find system shock 2's version 2.03 update and I cant find it, is there any website with a list of patches and updates to download for retro games like system shock and others?

Reply 1 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is probably your best bet for old game patches: https://www.patches-scrolls.de/

Not sure if they have that particular System Shock 2 patch, but it's worth a look. For other games, the PC Gaming Wiki sometimes has mirrors of the original patches. However, they seem to mostly focus on fan made fixes, which allow games to run on modern systems.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 5, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When those fail, try searching through the magazine cover CDs on archive dot org. May take some effort though - "small fry" like patches often isn't listed in the upload description but if there's a cover scan there's a good change it's shown there. Or in some cases you can guess the file name (e.g. from earlier or later patches) and search that.

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you'll quite often find dead links to patches, but as long as you can find the filename google is still your friend

Reply 5 of 5, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For System Shock 2, don't use the official patch. Instead go here:

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

It's a fan site/forum/file download site for System Shock 1 and 2,and you should follow the instructions on that webpage. It includes SS2Tool, which automatically installs all needed patches, and SCP (Shock Community Patch, an optional but very recommended all-in-one comprehensive collection of fan-made fixes, balances, and improvements, involving literally thousands of things in the game.

Seriously, don't play the game with just the official patch, instead set up the game using the downloads on that webpage. It really is by far the best way to play this superb game.