VOGONS

Dos questions

Topic actions

First post, by Dennis1959

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am new.

I started with a 486sx as my first real computer, back in Dos 5, and upgraded to 6.22, that was a long time ago.

I recently got a computer given to me, and as usual, I like upgrading to make them as good as they can be.

this thing is an HP Pavilion a6000, it has a floppy with a 3.5 i put in, 4 sata ports, and IDE port, and even a special drive bay for HP media drives, I got a 640GB off e-bay and it plugs right in and works great.

So I am triple booting 3 drives, hit esc, then choose the drive to boot from, XP Pro, Vista Home, and Dos 6.22/Win 3.11

GoT the cd-rw working in dos, and have an sound blaster/ensonic PCI card coming as it i supposed to work in the PCI port with dos/win

What I am considering is trying Dos 7.1, I have downloaded some files 3xstart, cwsdpmi, cwsparam, that are supposed to let win 3.11 run in dos 7.1, by modifying the io.sys.

Questions, will Dos 6.22 files like xcopy, smart drive etc... work with Dos 7.1 or dos Dos 7.1 come with all of those files? I have the image files I just have not written them to the disks yet. what I wanted was for win 3.11 to run under Dos 7.1 for the fat32 that will let me have 120GB drive to play with rather than just a 2GB drive

This is not going to be a gaming machine, I just want the nostalgia of triple booting those three systems, being able to listen to music, play videos in all three OS's, I also intend to get win 3.11 online, I have a nic card coming that has dos drivers included, and my Spectrum internet uses a router so I should be able to plug an ethernet cable directly from the card to the router and be able to go online, I have mise 3 and 4 downloaded, and am hoping that when all of the hardware is installed and the drivers up and running all i have to do is click on the browser and hope i get online. (XP and Viista) are already online, using a Netgear USB dongle.

The first time I got online I had bought a nic card installed it, and I was able to use "Boot Magazine" maybe the 3rd issue and it told me exactly what to do installing the drivers and then adding them into the config.sys-autoexec.bat and I had a network!!!

I was in Denver when windows 95 came out, my friend's brother was a beta tester for 95 so got to test drive 95 too, all 25 floppy disks of it, so I am kind of wanting to relive the dos/win 3.11 days, yes I know there will not be much online content that these relic browsers can load but hey if I can just get some to load ill be a happy camper.

Much of the stuff about Dos 7.1 and the problem with the io.sys I read here.

Thanks Guy's.

Reply 1 of 3, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is really cool, and even more impressive that you were able to multi-boot all those ancient OSes. My suggestion would be to backup your DOS 6 install and install 7 to test it. If it doesn't work, just remove 7 and copy 6 back.

Reply 2 of 3, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is very likely that those files will have a version check and refuse to work.
But you can use files from Windows 95 / 98 folder C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

Reply 3 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SETVER can be used to get around the version check of some executables from older versions of MS-DOS. However, DEFRAG, UNDELETE and SHARE doesn't work with FAT32 partitions so stay away from these.

Windows 3.x in MS-DOS 7.1 works after patching with W3XSTART, but has some important caveats:

• For "32-bit file access" and a reliable permanent swap file, a FAT16 partition around the first 4 GB of an HDD will be necessary. Otherwise, I/O performance will be crippled.
  • VSHARE.386 must be disabled.

I recommend reading the documentation included with the patch as well.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS