VOGONS

Quake GOG music

Topic actions

First post, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heyyyo
Is there any way to extract the music from Quake's "game.cue" file from the GOG release? I want to put the extracted music in the music folder on my Windows 98 install of the game. I don't want to download the music from anywhere.
Thank you!

I am as smooth as a gravy train with flaming biscuit wheels.

Reply 1 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CUE file is only a descriptor, which you can open in a text editor and see what file(s) it is referring to. Those will be where the music is.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It refers to a bunch of tracks supposedly located in the game.gog file. How would I retrieve the audio files from there?

Reply 3 of 24, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's just a thinly disguised bin/cue. Open the cue in Isobuster and extract the tracks as wavs. Or mount in Windows with your image mounting app of choice and extract with Windows Media Player.

Reply 4 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx I have isobuster now. How do I use it to extract the tracks. I don't understand any of the cd stuff 🤪

Reply 5 of 24, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right click.

Reply 6 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I have all of the audio tracks (02 to 11) saved as .wav files in a folder. Every track is its own wav file. What should I do from here? Thank you.

Reply 7 of 24, by Matchstick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you are using a clean unaltered version of Quake on W98, "technically" it only supports AUDIO from a physical CD. it will not play from any "folder".

However, you can patch the Quake executable:
https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibili … m-dll-tutorial/
(not sure if this patch and software will run in 98)

Honestly the best way is to just make an actual legit Quake CD from the GOG release.
Re: Phil's "Playing GOG.com games on your MS-DOS Gaming PC" Thread

Reply 8 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just wasted a cd-r trying to burn Quake with imgburn. I took the game.cue file and burned it. I think the Windows 11 pc I was burning it with was okay with it but Windows 98 was not, even though I burned the disc at 16x speed. My Windows 98 pc's cd-r drive is pretty good for the time but I only have one home-burned cd-r that works on it and that was burned by someone else. Does anyone have any tips on making a working Quake cd for my old pc? Thanks!

Reply 9 of 24, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't have problems burning BIN/CUE images with ImgBurn. Do you have an audio cable connected between the IDE CD drive and sound card? That's the only way to get CD audio working with DOS applications.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 10 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The pc doesn't like the cds that I've tried to burn AT ALL. When I put one in, the computer freezes or becomes excruciatingly slow until I remove the cd from the drive. There is a connection between the sound card and the drive. Other games that use cd music like Hexen and Blood work perfectly. My problem is just that my pc REALLY hates most things that I try to burn. Only a few of my burned cd-rs have been readable by the pc and those were really old memorex ones that I ran out of. I just need to find out how to get my cd-rs to be read at all by the pc.

Reply 11 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cursed Derp wrote on 2024-05-23, 17:06:

The pc doesn't like the cds that I've tried to burn AT ALL. When I put one in, the computer freezes or becomes excruciatingly slow until I remove the cd from the drive. There is a connection between the sound card and the drive. Other games that use cd music like Hexen and Blood work perfectly. My problem is just that my pc REALLY hates most things that I try to burn. Only a few of my burned cd-rs have been readable by the pc and those were really old memorex ones that I ran out of. I just need to find out how to get my cd-rs to be read at all by the pc.

Getting good quality CD-R media can be challenging these days. What brand and type of media have you tried ? What brand/model drives are you using to burn and read the CD-Rs ?

Reply 12 of 24, by Matchstick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Burn at 4x, it may be slow to do, but may result in a cd that can be read by older cd/dvd rom drives.

Last edited by Matchstick on 2024-05-23, 20:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-05-23, 17:15:

Getting good quality CD-R media can be challenging these days. What brand and type of media have you tried ? What brand/model drives are you using to burn and read the CD-Rs ?

I have used these Memorex and Verbatim discs. The Verbatim ones are probably newer.
As for the drives: For the one in the Windows 11 pc that I'm using to burn the discs, it's an ASUS DRW-24B3ST. The one in my Windows 98SE pc is a TDK CDRW241040B.

Reply 14 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[/quote]

Burn at 4x, it may be slow to do, but may result in a cd that can be read by older cd/dvd rom drives.
[/quote]

I just got your reply. I'll try to burn at 4x, but last time when I tried to burn at a super slow speed Imgburn said that my drive was incompatible or something. Still, I'll try it.

Reply 15 of 24, by Matchstick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried putting all the required files on the 98 machine (usb thumb drive?) and then using your TDK CDRW241040B to burn the the disk?

Reply 16 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the disc burned at 4x speed and somehow it works now! At least kind of... for some reason the cd music is all fuzzy and weird sounding in game. Is there anything I can do about this? Thank all of ye!

Reply 17 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This sounds like you need a better CD drive, from the sound of it, that drive needs a proper cleaning inside or has a bad laser altogether.

Reply 18 of 24, by Cursed Derp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the cd music in Hexen and Blood sounds fine. The drive plays anything burned slow enough apparently. I haven't had any problems before with burned discs (besides not knowing the proper way to burn them) or with old game cds.

Reply 19 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still, drive being sensitive to media and/or burn quality like that does suggest the drive struggles, especially with the severe slowdowns you mention.