Dos 6 conventional memory tricks

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 227, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote:

What about upper memory, is it used just for loading that stuff or is it important to try to have as most free memory as possible?
Sorry for the dumb question.

Not a dumb question mate. It's the whole point of having forums like this one.

There's a glitch in the matrix.

Reply 221 of 227, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is easier to get conventional memory than I thought at the beginning.

EMS:
1) use umbinfo (--> note system bios and video ram + rom extension, eyes on parts that are marked as unused)
2) set up EMS properly (--> doing it correctly will give you a nice amount of upper memory)
3) use DOSMAX to loadhigh stacks, fcbs, buffers.. etc. (--> provides another 6K free conventional)
4) use SHELLMAX and ENVIMAX to loadhigh command.com
5) you should have 625K free conventional memory (---> 625 because I use HIMEMX instead of HIMEM. With himem you would've 626K)

The same for NOEMS, except that you don't have to set a frame.

In addition: some guys here reported having good compatibility with JEMMEX. So do I. Until now I have no program that refuses to work with JEMMEX. And I am getting 630K of free conventional memory.

That worked great for me on my current system (signature).. No guarantee for other systems. I will reactivate my 486 and my K6+ during christmas holidays and I will tell if it works there, too.

Last edited by Lazar81 on 2019-12-02, 21:51. Edited 2 times in total.

PIII-S 1400 | CHAINTECH 6VIA5T | 2 x 256 MB HYNIX RAM | ASUS V8460 ULTRA DELUXE | CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER 16 CT1740 | CRUCIAL 120 GB SSD | LG DVD WRITER | GOTEK FLOPPY EMULATOR

ROLAND MT-32 | ROLAND CM-32L | YAMAHA S-YXG50

Reply 222 of 227, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

you know you can just do in config.sys

shell=c:\command.com /c lh c:\command.com /e:512 /p

to load it high without any other utils? works in dos5 and up.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: http://kråketær.com :: mega-tokyo.com ]-/\--

Reply 223 of 227, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:
Show quote
Lazar81 wrote:

you know you can just do in config.sys

shell=c:\command.com /c lh c:\command.com /e:512 /p

to load it high without any other utils? works in dos5 and up.

You can do that. But this loads high a second command.com. a first one stays in lower memory. So 3K less conventional - but maybe I forgot something. Perhaps there is a way to get rid of the first one. To me it looks like SHELLMAX+ENVIMAX are first choice.

PIII-S 1400 | CHAINTECH 6VIA5T | 2 x 256 MB HYNIX RAM | ASUS V8460 ULTRA DELUXE | CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER 16 CT1740 | CRUCIAL 120 GB SSD | LG DVD WRITER | GOTEK FLOPPY EMULATOR

Reply 224 of 227, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

You can do that. But this loads high a second command.com. a first one stays in lower memory. So 3K less conventional - but maybe I forgot something. Perhaps there is a way to get rid of the first one. To me it looks like SHELLMAX+ENVIMAX are first choice.

thats what the /c /p do. disgards the first one, makes the second one permanant.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: http://kråketær.com :: mega-tokyo.com ]-/\--

Reply 225 of 227, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first one still occupies 3K of conventional memory. Discarded or not... If there isn't a way to get it out of the conventional memory why should this be better than my current way?

Reply 227 of 227, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I turned back to my green USB2PS2 adapter because USB drivers caused to many problems.

Tried qemm (qemm97) again - everything runs ok. But I am not convinced that it suitable to serve as standard. Can someone tell something about compatibility with games... Any issues? For now I still stay with DOS standard.