Topic actions

Reply 240 of 244, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carrera wrote on 2021-03-17, 10:27:

I remember that tip as well!
Also, if you were lucky to have 2 hard drives setting those parameters to the other drive could sped things up a bit...

Woah, what's the logic in that? Something related to seek times?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 241 of 244, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically.. Yeah
In general if you could afford it you put the operating system on one hard drive and all other stuff on another as you tend to read from one and write to the other thus saving (admittedly milliseconds) time.
It was probably not very useful....

There was also a trick of doing this with the other functions. I am nut sure it was SmartDrive or the swap file maybe...?

Reply 242 of 244, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, splitting temporary file areas, swap and other things across multiple drives, as well as seperating the OS out from applications is still very common - think about a modern multi-tasking operating system; it's nearly always doing more than one thing at a time. In the days when hard drive transfer rates were measured in single digits to dozens of megabytes it was incredibly easy for one badly performing process to lock up your system by starving all IO.

Move the IO for that application to another drive/channel, and your other applications (and the OS itself) can continue with other IO requests while that application (slowly) performs its reads and writes.

Reply 243 of 244, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ I think the same.

I guess ROM-based operating systems like Atari TOS did have an advantage here.

They had instant access to their libraries of code, without needing fixed disk drives.

In fact, they still have that advantage.
They never had to fight over disk i/o with the applications.

Operating systems like Windows will always be behind in this specific point, I think,
unless they are being run on a RAM drive.

Speaking of RAM drives/disks, Linux has the ability to run in such an environment (TO RAM argument).

However, if we're a little bit sarcastic, we could say that it requires that option somewhat badly also.
It handles everything through the file system, after all (everything's a file). 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 244 of 244, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, today's operating systems keep a lot in the ram and therefore kinda run from a "ram drive". It's not a new idea...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!