Dos 6 conventional memory tricks

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 298, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I set mine to 9,256

I had problems running somke Lucasarts games like Sam and Max if they were set too low (crashes with a 'stack overflow' error) and also many Apogee games reccomended a minimum setting in their readmes as well 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 81 of 298, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

indeed, I had the problem with fate of atlantis 😀

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 82 of 298, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember going through all this hell, just to get Digital Sound FX in Monster Bash 😀 Took a good portion of 2 or 3 days of serious messing around (Googling) to achieve over I think 590KB EMS RAM though 😳 (Or whatever Monster Bash required)

This was with Windows ME and DOS 8.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 83 of 298, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might be able to find a version of Hyperdrive lurking somewhere on the Internet to replace Smartdrv. Otherwise, score yourself a caching IDE controller and do away with caching programs all together. 😀

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 84 of 298, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone here use the 4DOS command interpreter? I am having trouble getting it to load high. I know I have enough contiguous high memory available because I can load UNIVBE high with no problems, and it's ~18K. 4DOS is only 4K, and is supposed to load all but a few hundred bytes into upper memory. My understanding is that all it takes is 'UMBLoad = Yes' in 4DOS.INI to activate this, but apparently I'm wrong.

I've attached the relevant files in a zip, since apparently the board doesn't accept .bat or .sys attachments. The OS is DOS 6.22 and the 4DOS is 8.00. Does anyone have experience with this?

Attachments

• Filename
    4dosumb.zip
    File size
    1.64 KiB
    Downloads
    222 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 85 of 298, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm acually having an issue loading UNIVBE into high mem. Its ver 6.7 I think and its the last thing I need put in high mem. i'm trying to load it into region 1 where I have 22kb of free space and UNIVBE is only a tad over 19kb but it will not get out of conventional mem no matter what I try.

Reply 87 of 298, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

How's your mem/f and the line that loads the univbe like?

free upper memory

region largest free total free total size
-------- ----------------- --------- ------------
1 22,112 (22k) 27168 (27k)
2 8,336 (8k) 98,320 (96k)

my line for univbe is

LH /L:0;1,19024 /S C:\UNIVBE\UNIVBE.EXE

Reply 88 of 298, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try loading it earlier in the autoexec.bat.

Or, if that doesn't work, purposely load something else you have low. eg. If you have a driver that is only 5K, you'd rather leave that low than your 19K driver.

Reply 89 of 298, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

What if you just change it to LH C:\UNIVBE\UNIVBE.EXE ?

I presume Memmaker came up with the other stuff, which also suggests you could try running Memmaker again if you've changed other things since the first time you ran it.

Reply 90 of 298, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

What if you just change it to LH C:\UNIVBE\UNIVBE.EXE ?

I presume Memmaker came up with the other stuff, which also suggests you could try running Memmaker again if you've changed other things since the first time you ran it.

memmaker just moves things around, mostly splitting stuff up between region 1 and 2 but I end up with the same amount of conventional mem. when I run mememaker univbe was acually set as "LH C:\UNIVBE\UNIVBE.EXE" but was still being loaded into conventional mem. I added the other stuff in an attempt to load it into region 1 high mem but no luck.

Reply 91 of 298, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried loading only UNIVBE high and nothing else from the autoexec.bat? If it can be placed high, then try loading the other TSRs one by one. Sometimes, might need to reshuffle the sequence of loading of the TSRs.

How about even removing other device drivers from config.sys, except himem.sys and emm386.exe with it's normal settings?

And have you tried LH /L:1,19024 (without including region 0), first without /S switch and if not successful, with the /S switch?

And for further experimentation, reserving a slightly higher memory allocation, like

LH /L:1,20000 /S C:\UNIVBE\UNIVBE.EXE ?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 93 of 298, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got back from work so i'm going to try some of your suggestions. I did try removing the region 0 part and oddly enough doing that loads a very tiny fraction of univbe into upper mem. I think 80bytes. or bits or whatever it is its way less then a single kb

Reply 95 of 298, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding SHSUCDX I couldn't get Sam & Max to run properly with it at all using FreeDOS [no cinemas, no digital speech], had to resort to MSCDEX which unfortunately seems to take alot more conventional memory than SHSUCDX even when loaded high.

Btw this post is done from my DOS Gaming PC. 😁

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 96 of 298, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm...that's strange. I can run the CD using shsucdx. What version are you using? Or maybe it's the combination of freedos and other possible TSRs loaded with it. I'm running ms-dos 6.22.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 97 of 298, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Hmmm...that's strange. I can run the CD using shsucdx. What version are you using? Or maybe it's the combination of freedos and other possible TSRs loaded with it. I'm running ms-dos 6.22.

I think the culprit is FreeDOS itself, dunno if Sam & Max make a special call looking for something within MS-DOS itself or what but in FreeDOS I can't get it to run at all, the cinemas are missing, and no digital sound whatsoever.

So what I ended up doing is, deleted FreeDOS 1.1 and installed MS-DOS 7.1 that I ripped and customized from my Win98SE disc, now the game runs flawless. 😀

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.