VOGONS

Windows NT 4.0

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 64, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

run dmacheck.exe
or regedit it

google is your friend 😀

there is no per device control, but per channel control... but the drivers allow different devices per channel to use DMA mode or PIO mode, whereas triones attempts to set DMA mode on all devices on a channel, but fails if one device doesn't support DMA

the triones drivers support the 430 series and 440LX chipset officially, but I got it to work with 440BX under vmware in DOS... 440BX uses an updated version of the southbridge, but I guess since it's close enough to the 440LX, the drivers didn't complain 😀

Reply 23 of 64, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheLazy1 wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Another good link to check out for NT4 people is: http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/winnt4.htm

Ugh.
I've tried that SP6a slipstreaming tutorial several times now without success.

Thats because you have to reapply SP6a anyway so its not so good, there is a thread on msfn somewhere about how to do it (I'm not sure where the thread is atm but I do have a copy of all the necessary stuff to do it), including all the registry so it does work out of hte box but it does put a lot of unessential stuff from NT4 Server into the Workstation install.

EDIT: found it http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/109439-slipst … aming-nt4-sp6a/

Reply 24 of 64, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NT was not designed to be slipstreamed... the first windows that allowed slipstreaming was 2000, and now MS has taken that away again with vista and 7... the only way to "slipstream" vista/7 is to do "reverse integration", which basically means installing it onto a fresh system then repackaging the install files... messy!

Reply 25 of 64, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

How is NT4 with out-of-the-box drivers btw?

very bad
all of the standard issue drivers for non-generic hardware (such as video cards and sound blaster 16) are watered down, outdated and buggy... even if they worked, they worked poorly, but in many cases BSODs weren't surprising

even with SP6, things didn't improve much.... if there's any hope for getting anything running smoothly, you better get the newer drivers from the manufacturers

Reply 26 of 64, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:
very bad all of the standard issue drivers for non-generic hardware (such as video cards and sound blaster 16) are watered down, […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

How is NT4 with out-of-the-box drivers btw?

very bad
all of the standard issue drivers for non-generic hardware (such as video cards and sound blaster 16) are watered down, outdated and buggy... even if they worked, they worked poorly, but in many cases BSODs weren't surprising

even with SP6, things didn't improve much.... if there's any hope for getting anything running smoothly, you better get the newer drivers from the manufacturers

Thanks. I guess I'd better start downloading 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 64, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm I really haven't had a problem when there are out of the box drivers my Pentium 133, Pentium MMX 166 boxes both have NT4 SP6a with OOB drivers (except maybe the ESS Audio Drive/ Crystal something or rather) and they work just fine, maybe the NIC is different to I can't actually remember since I sortof installed NT4 and then didn't do anything more.

Reply 29 of 64, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awergh wrote:
TheLazy1 wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Another good link to check out for NT4 people is: http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/winnt4.htm

Ugh.
I've tried that SP6a slipstreaming tutorial several times now without success.

Thats because you have to reapply SP6a anyway so its not so good, there is a thread on msfn somewhere about how to do it (I'm not sure where the thread is atm but I do have a copy of all the necessary stuff to do it), including all the registry so it does work out of hte box but it does put a lot of unessential stuff from NT4 Server into the Workstation install.

EDIT: found it http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/109439-slipst … aming-nt4-sp6a/

Actually, the installer complains about missing files.
Maybe it's because of the wording of the directions but I've tried interpreting them a few different ways but nothing has given me a good install.

Would it be against the rules for someone to upload their updated SP6a install disc?
I do have a valid license here.

Reply 30 of 64, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually have a couple NT disks which were very late versions. I'll go look em up...

I had a look, but even though my disk has a date in 2001, the files show a date of 10-01-1997 alas

Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 64, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure NT4 Workstation/Server only ever game in RTM and SP1 form on disk and Terminal Server in SP3 form.

Nah, there were integrated SP3 copies of Workstation and Server too. I've got old Technet discs of both kicking around here somewhere. I dunno how common they were, though... they may have only been available through Technet.

Reply 34 of 64, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Pretty sure NT4 Workstation/Server only ever game in RTM and SP1 form on disk and Terminal Server in SP3 form.

Nah, there were integrated SP3 copies of Workstation and Server too. I've got old Technet discs of both kicking around here somewhere. I dunno how common they were, though... they may have only been available through Technet.

I wonder if BA has them...

Report spammers here!

Reply 35 of 64, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

Third party support for USB..., but no KernelEx.

I'm wondering if something similar could be done.
It's been years since I touched any windows code though.

I wonder if you could do something like:

1) Create loader which opens the target app suspended
2) Patch the target's import address table to point missing functions to a wrapper dll

A quick look shows CreateProcess() is only Win2K and up so maybe this isn't the good idea I thought it was.

Reply 36 of 64, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I loaded Windows NT on to my P3 laptop and it's pretty quick, but there are two big problems.

1) It will not boot on it's own, only a floppy with ntldr, boot.ini, ect.. will boot the system.
2) So far I have tried several drivers to get the cardbus controller to work but with no luck. O2 Micro OZ6832 Solved.

Reply 37 of 64, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) It will not boot on it's own, only a floppy with ntldr, boot.ini, ect.. will boot the system.

I'm a little confused how this happened did you use a dodgy disk or install from a plain i386 directory because with a proper install it will boot by itself no problem. Hmm although I have done inplace upgrades using the i386 directory (workstation to terminal server) using this method but maybe you installed using the three nt4 floppy disks, either way a normal install shouldn't require a floppy disk to boot.

Reply 38 of 64, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only a few modifications were made, it properly installs and boots under VirtualBox but hangs during boot on my laptop.
I have a sneaky feeling that Windows won't properly install the bootloader/mbr if GRUB was installed previously.

It's really, really strange.