VOGONS

MechWarrior 2 | 3D card conversion files

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PowerVR files posted here are not the PCX2 version, but PCX1. How can I tell? No bilinear filtering and the files are dated september 1996.

I know there are videos from the PCX2 version on Youtube, so please post those files if possible

I were maybe a tad too quick by posting this. I just find it a bit strange that no-one has mentioned this before, so I started thinking it could be something with my system. I know leileilol and another user here on Vogons had a discussion about the PowerVR version and the difference in performance the both of them experienced. Well, if they had two different version that explains it, but this could just be coincidence.

RoyBatty wrote:

I'll check my PowerVR version and see if the files differ.

Very nice!

I can confirm that the Mechwarrior 2 was bundled both with the PCX1 and PCX2 (source archived videologic site). Also from the good Kanajana's Mechwarrior 2 site we can read:

Performance/Appearance: The earlier PCX1-based Apocalypse 3D lacks bilinear filtering, much like the Matrox Mystique, but my screenshots are from the later PCX2 and they rival the 3Dfx version in some ways. (The PCX2 is ~50% faster than the PCX1, plus it has more 3D features.) The fog effects in the game are quite nice for the time. The frame rate for the PCX2 appears to be slightly slower than the Voodoo, but they are still pretty high. The PCX1 would have been way slower, especially on the CPU's available back in 1996-97, as it was more CPU dependent than the Voodoo. Overall, I would rate the PowerVR version on the PCX2 just right behind the 3Dfx version and highly recommend it. The same game on a PCX1 without bilinear filtering would leave it looking somewhat like the Mystique version and is not worth it with PCX2 based cards being so cheap.

He does not confirm two PowerVR versions (as he is more describing the cards themselves), but the other game that came with the PCX1 (Ultimate Race) did have a difference in supporting bilinear filtering between the version bundled with the PCX1 and the PCX2.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 23 of 66, by YCH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Vetz,

Indeed the Mech2 PowerVR version includes files from 1996, but the game certainly runs with what looks to be bilinear filtering on textures. See old thread here with my pics:
Re: PowerVR Fun Thread

Reply 24 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, as I expected I was a bit too quick posting here on Vogons.

*Thorough check to find out what the hell is going on with my system incoming* 😜

Reply 26 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
YCH wrote:
vetz wrote:

Yeah, as I expected I was a bit too quick posting here on Vogons.

*Thorough check to find out what the hell is going on with my system incoming* 😜

What PowerVR card do you have?

Matrox M3D PCX2, so there should be bilinear filtering as in your screens.

The only accelerated SGL game where I haven't seen it before is in the PCX1 version of Ultimate Race.

Reply 27 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After trying loads of different drivers I finally managed to get bilinear filtering turned on in Mechwarrior 2!

The magic driver: Apocalypse 3Dx 4.1.2
Could not find a Matrox m3D driver that worked, but the 3Dx driver seems to work fine even if the card doesn't entirely match.

Reply 28 of 66, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi I have scoured the forums for an answer to this problem but cant find a resolution. I have got mechwarrior 2 working thanks to this thread in xp BUT I am using dgvoodoo as stated in the walkthrough an where it sayd I have to select glide.dll and not glide2x.dll dgvoodoo doesnt seem to want to save my settings so i end up with white filled textures. Every time i try to select the glide.dll it doesnt save my config. Has anyone got any suggestion that could help me please?

Reply 29 of 66, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use nGlide.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 30 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
voodoo do-er wrote:

anyone have the voodoo2 patch for this game ?
I herd about it over on 3dfxzone.it but on one has it

There are no Voodoo2 patch for this game. To get it running, just add this into a .bat file:

set SST_GRXCLK=90 set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4 set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6 set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6 set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1 set SST_TMUMEM_S […]
Show full quote

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
set SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
set SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
set FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=3
mech2.exe

Reply 31 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just want to add that if you are converting a retail Windows version to 3DFX and want to run it on Windows 7 64bit with the nGlide wrapper, then you need to do the following:

1. Download nGlide and install it. http://bit.ly/ZmbtbR
2. Copy all the files from your Mech2 CD to a folder on your harddrive. Call it Mech2Setup.
3. Download http://toastytech.com/files/Is3Engine.zip and extract into Mech2Setup.
4. Set Windows 95 compatibility on setup32.exe, run it and install the game.
5. Copy dplay.dll from Mech2Setup/DirectX to the game installation folder.
6. Download the 3DFX conversion files (those on Vogons don't work for converting!) So please use these: http://www.mediafire.com/?l6wp13inn80e3a8
7. Set Windows 95 compatibility on mech2.exe
8. Run the game with mech2.exe and enjoy!

Reply 33 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Could someone please reupload the Orchid version posted before? 😊

I've checked the files, the Monster and Orchid versions are exactly the same.

Reply 34 of 66, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uhhh, so no differences between them.. 😵

I have been wondering if there's actually a way to fix the missing 3rd person Mech's textures in the 3dfx version.. or would we need MW2's source code to do something like this?

Reply 35 of 66, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible to have multiple editions installed at the same time? I have the physical discs for the 3dfx and the pentium editions. My latest rig has a Stealth 3D 4000 and a Monster 3D II in it. If I install the 3dfx version and then the pentium version into a different folder, can I add the s3 files to convert it over and play either on the same machine?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 37 of 66, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doing that right now actually. I've got the virge version working perfectly. Had to run the installer for the 3dfx version directly from the msinst file on the cd to get it to install, put it into another folder. Had some green screen issues with my v2 card on the install of that version before I tried the virge one.

20131028_223155.jpg

Not the best shot but I wanted to get it without flash, etc. The colors are correct in the image including the vertical banding. That's actually from the monitor I'm using. It's an older dell 17" lcd I saved from the dumpster at work.

I swapped the v2 for the v1 and am about to give it a try.

Reply 38 of 66, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can now confirm that multiple versions of the game installed to seperate folders will run in the same machine. I doubt that's news to anyone, but it's vindication on my part that dicking around with all this hardware instead of just playing the titanium editions or whatever was worth it.

I had to run each from their respective mech2.exe files in each folder to keep them seperate but it worked.

3dfx version was a monster labeled disc, and the s3 was a standard pentium edition disc with the virge specific files added into the folder.

Reply 39 of 66, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to create a batch file to make the Mechwarrior 2 version run correctly on a Voodoo 2. See my previous post in this thread.