VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to hear that,
Maybe there is something wrong with the power supply?: either the PSU or the Power Grid. Old houses tend to have horrible grounding, and I found that does give issues.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 21 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sucks 🙁 I've had this happen to TWO Socket 478 boards, which resulted in me not having any Pentium 4 build.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 24, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the seller of the 2nd board contacted me and ask how I wanted to handle it. Big seller, lots of boards, I'm hoping they'll just do a swap. I may have to go with the P2B-F instead of the P3B-F, but if the pcb is right, they are extremely similar. Actually, going through the manuals and online info, I can't find much to differentiate the two except BIOS versions. The P2B-F board is cheaper, so they may be willing. Maybe even give me the difference back 😀 They have mostly (by a MAJOR margin - big seller,) positive review, with the negatives dealing mainly with poor communications. Which is why their quick response surprised me a bit. If they just want to do a refund, a replacement may take a while. As, I've sort of finished off my budget 🙁 My next two months are going to be on short funds too as I plan to go to an event in November, and have committed to making those payments.

As for the power supplies, I thought of that. They meter ok, though I can't measure fluctuations that accurately (no oscilloscope,) One has closer to 6V on the 5V line, but what I read said that should be OK. Still, I use the other one unless there is a problem and I bring it out after the board is already failing. The second one (my main one,) meters right on the line across the board 😀 Which is why it's my main one despite being 400W instead of 450W. Also, having lived in an old house, I never plug directly into the wall any more. I use high end power bars (the ones with voltage regulators and not just surge protectors.) They were expensive, but I could afford them back then. I have, off and on, considered getting a couple of UPS units as an added layer, but costs have slowed me down on those.

I'm starting to think that maybe there is something wrong with one or both of these Voodoo boards. They look good. If I clock the system below 500Mhz they work just fine. Sharp, clean images, no lines, no stuttering, even the analog pass through looks good (IMHO.) My P3V board had enough little issues, I was willing to accept that it was the problem, but with the Voodoo issue continuing and this board going poof, I may have to consider that it could be the cards. (NOTE: The first board failed before the Voodoo cards even touched it.) On that note, how would I find out if something is wrong with one or both of these cards? I'd hate to buy 2 new cards when I only need one. Though finding a specific card may be difficult, it may actually be easier to buy a pair.

If they just had Windows 3.1 drivers, I had considered getting a Voodoo 3 or later card as my main video and a Voodoo 1 for the games that can't use it. But the need for Windows 3.1 drivers and the fact that I want the Windows 98 game Thief to have access to 3DFX with more power than I used to have for it, is why I went with SLI Voodoo 2 cards. I seem to recall reading that Voodoo 3 with a Voodoo 1 works OK. Though I'd do a lot more research into it before committing. Moot though, as I can't find Windows 3.1 drivers for the Voodoo 3. Since I can't find Voodoo 3 drivers, I never checked on 4 or 5.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 23 of 24, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here is the V3-win3x driver

Attachments

• Filename
    V3-W31.zip
    File size
    919.51 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 24 of 24, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I should have updated here. Forgot about this thread 🙁 I found the Win3.1 drivers for a Voodoo 3 card and now have a Voodoo 3 installed as my primary graphics card. I also have both Voodoo 2's (in SLI) installed, and a Voodoo I as well. In all honesty, the Voodoo 3 & Voodoo 1 should be sufficient, but the Voodoo 2's actually out performs the Voodoo 3 card most of the time. I use a manual switch box to chose between the Voodoo 1 & Voodoo 2's. If there was a software method of switching off a PCI card (and if that didn't kill the pass through,) I would experiment with that instead, though.

Feeding Dragon