TANDY Dos-Gaming-Thread (1000RL/HD)

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 177, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

What software do you use for the serial routing to the mt32?

Just modified game drivers, where I've adapted the MPU-401 routines for serial-port (COM1) usage. These drivers are all available in subsequent pages of the following thread, along with a small executable (SER31250.COM) that will set the PSSJ UART to 31250bps:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?70359

Reply 122 of 177, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently swapped-out the dimming CM-11 monitor with its newer-style (and less-used) counterpart. I'd thought that I was quite ready to move on from this system, but apparently not, having recently completed "Conquests of Camelot" on it besides. C'est la vie...

20190927_1_s.jpg

20190927_2_s.jpg

Reply 125 of 177, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I think the CM11 is a rebranded 1084 ?

Couldn't say. The actual picture tubes may be similar, in any event.

In other news, I swapped the Iomega Jaz with an external Microtech PCD-47B unit tonight; it having been on the to-do list for some time. There's no associated performance benefit, but the noise reduction is worthwhile, despite the hit to the overall aesthetics.

20190930_1_s.jpg

20190930_2_s.jpg

I'm really quite done with this system now. No, really. 🤣

Reply 126 of 177, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:

I'm really quite done with this system now. No, really. 🤣

Well, so much for that. Again. 🙄

2020rl_1_s.jpg

A longed-for Aiwa ACD-300 has replaced the Panasonic KXL-RW10A, and a CM-32L has been swapped-in for the MT-32. Go Super Dimension Fortress Macross Tandy 1000 RL!

Reply 128 of 177, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have once again been fiddling with my Tandy 1000 TL. On boot it totally skips the XT-IDE BIOS and goes straight to DOS-in-ROM. My A: drive and B: drive still work fine, the VGA card works fine (and always displays in color now when it was graying out somewhat commonly before), and nothing else seems out of the ordinary. Running the TL setup program, setting date and time, etc., all of it is otherwise fine. I even swapped the XT-IDE for a serial port/floppy device with a boot ROM and saw no activity. Is there something obvious I disabled/enabled that would break searching for ROM's at boot? This thing was chugging along fine last week.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 129 of 177, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure how likely a scenario it might be, but it's possible the system's EEPROM contents are corrupt. Any change in behavior if you run SETUPTL /A, toggle between DISK > ROM > DISK, save, and reboot?

Reply 131 of 177, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2020-01-24, 04:05:

Not sure how likely a scenario it might be, but it's possible the system's EEPROM contents are corrupt. Any change in behavior if you run SETUPTL /A, toggle between DISK > ROM > DISK, save, and reboot?

I tried what you suggested and it was no good.

After hours of fighting with it, I did what I mentioned a long time ago in this thread; I downloaded and built the XT-IDE BIOS myself. I took the configuration program, tossed it on my Tandy setup disk, and it was able to load the BIOS already on the EPROM, reconfigure it, flash it, and boot again.

I don't think I've ever had an "all-in-one" PC that had this many bizarre problems before.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 132 of 177, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I FINALLY found myself a SCSI CF card reader. Actually it is the same one you have. I really hope you documented your adventures with the Rancho RT1000B SCSI as I don't expect it'll be easy to get it going.

Reply 133 of 177, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back on my Tandy1000 😀 I got a nice converter board so I can hook-up my Nec71VM to my Tandy1000RL/HD.
That is really nice. I can still use TGA because this TFT does support 15.6 Khz. Great 😀

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 134 of 177, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. still searching for a gui that supports 640x200@16 and has icons like geoworks or qm3.
Right now I have installed gem12 and deskmate. I don't like deskmate, I prefer gem.

Reply 135 of 177, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-03-04, 18:08:

btw. still searching for a gui that supports 640x200@16 and has icons like geoworks or qm3.
Right now I have installed gem12 and deskmate. I don't like deskmate, I prefer gem.

Wonder if the Windows 2 Tandy 1000 4 color driver could be hacked for the more advanced 16 color mode?

Not Saying Windows 3.0 has icons like gem but...

Reply 137 of 177, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I begun ripping games because hdd-space is limited. I use "kgb" to determine what files are used by the game and deleting what is not needed. Sometimes there are crazy flags used to start the tandy-mode and for some games I did not have figured it out yet. I don't think I can upload these "Tandy-only versions" somewhere due to copyright reasons. If you use a tandy1000 too and will make this for yourself, I can give you the needed information.

It's really a great machine and it makes so much fun.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2021-03-06, 11:03. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 138 of 177, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@cloudschatze
I wrote to these people selling the serial to midi adapter, but they did not answer yet. I think I should search for a different solution to hookup the mt32 to my t1000.

Reply 139 of 177, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-03-06, 11:01:

@cloudschatze
I wrote to these people selling the serial to midi adapter, but they did not answer yet.

I have several extras. If you'll provide me with your mailing address in a PM, I'd be happy to send you one.