Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

Re: Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Postby C.J. » 2019-1-21 @ 09:16

Disabled the smartcard reader now and starts up faster.

So I disabled in BIOS what I do not need since I do not need wireless/modem. Also in windows 98se itself I disabled the smartcard reader, giving me boot problems slowing it down.

I'm still very happy most things work. I mean all the drivers are fine no conflicts, the laptop can shut down and does not tell me to shut it off. Battery indicator works finally.

Anyway what is not working right, my guess is the DOS sound in DOS itself still untested atm. But from what I read here, I need one file to correct this?

What else - the buttons on the laptop for volume controle, so vol up vol down and mute do nothing for me atm.
C.J.

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2019-2-04 @ 23:13

Sorry to replying so late...
For enabling the battery in the taskbar, you have to enable ACPI as written in the instructions.
For troubleshooting the sound:
-Did you install all the main system updates first? This is required or else Win98 will give an annoying popup about a missing file and the driver installation will be futile.

DOS Sound:
Try setblast.exe! Play around with DOS sound settings until you get sound! But make sure Win98 has sound first!!!
download/file.php?id=15196
JiaoTongNan

Postby C.J. » 2019-2-09 @ 13:45

Yeah battery indicator is working but instructions I read on here did not help me, did this though:
Using Registry Editor, add the "ACPIOption" (without quotation marks) string value with a value data of 1 to the following registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Detect"
If the value "ACPICheckDate" exists, DELETE this value, or the ACPI detection will not take place.
Go to Control Panel -> Add New Hardware and search for new hardware to detect the new ACPI hardware.

ACPICheckDate did exist and that was the reason why the battery indicator still did not work with me.

All the updates are installed for windows 98se, windows 98se sound is working alright. Already tested out a few games and the windows sounds are working as they should.

OK thanks a lot for that file I'll fiddle around with it in DOS. I guess put it in the main root? C:\ ?

Only have to make the mouse work better it's acting up being a bit sluggish in Win98se, installed some logitech drivers but still same and one other driver but nothing. Still have to try it in the docking station if the PS2 port work better for it with an adapter to USB. Though the laptop mouse cursor can move smoothly with the laptop touchpad, just when I connect a USB mouse the mouse is sluggish.. it's a standard optical mouse btw of logitech.. which is why I tried logitech drivers.
C.J.

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2019-2-25 @ 08:15

C.J. wrote:OK thanks a lot for that file I'll fiddle around with it in DOS. I guess put it in the main root? C:\ ?

Only have to make the mouse work better it's acting up being a bit sluggish in Win98se, installed some logitech drivers but still same and one other driver but nothing. Still have to try it in the docking station if the PS2 port work better for it with an adapter to USB. Though the laptop mouse cursor can move smoothly with the laptop touchpad, just when I connect a USB mouse the mouse is sluggish.. it's a standard optical mouse btw of logitech.. which is why I tried logitech drivers.

Eh, I'll try to respond when I can. Life has been very busy for me lately.

I'm not sure what causes the sluggish mouse. This once occurred to me when I did a 98SE installation. Windows was extremely slow. It may require a reinstallation...or Windows ME. I am REALLY not sure what causes this issue. You can try reinstalling drivers, but I cannot guarantee anything.
JiaoTongNan

Postby C.J. » 2019-2-28 @ 10:14

Ah ok same problem here atm. I'll try a few things or a few mice :-) But I do however got eveything I need to try fixing the mouse. I haven't had time to fiddle around in DOS yet with the file you sent me, but will let you know when I get my DOS sound fixed or if I had any probs.

Hmm just ran into a new problem, well I figured it out the adapter from the laptop does not work with the docking station. So you have one for the laptop and one for the docking station.. I did not know this. I only had one A/C adapter with the laptop/docking station which output is 19,5V / 4,62A. I never had a docking station before :-/

I did buy an original del A/C adapter later on ebay which says 19,5V / 3,34A and it works alright connected directly to the laptop. But not with the docking station, you get this standard error msg where it says the adapter does not meet the power requirements.. which is right because it's 3,34A instead of 4,62A.

Now have to order a new cable or buy an original A/C adapter for the docking station since it does not have a EU plug.
C.J.

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2019-5-13 @ 06:23

This is late, but yea, you have to buy a third-party adapter. Dell just sucks at meeting their own power requirements.

A while back, I bought an old dell charger at a thrift store. It worked fine for a while but due to twisting of the cord, the system claims it doesn't work properly despite working on another laptop just fine.

I hope you're enjoying Windows 9x on this "modern" laptop, I'm lovin' it ;)
I also recommend installing Revelations Pack 9.7 and a task manager. Makes the system more stable.
JiaoTongNan

Postby C.J. » 2019-5-23 @ 13:19

Got the 2nd hand Dell charger from the U.K. through ebay for the docking station. Same store I ordered the other Dell charger from for the laptop itself. I am not using the docking station yet though. First fixing DOS sound then the mouse.

I am enjoying it a bit but not as much as I want to because I am still fixing problems with DOS sound or well trying to. Setblast.exe did not fix my problem, though windows 98se sound is working fine. I tried every combination, took awhile but nothing only error when I pressed test. I also tried blast.exe and setsound.bat while I was at it, nothing either. Is there anything I should pre-prep in windows 98se before using setblast.exe????

edit:
I don't know if I was clear but I'm trying to get sound working after exiting windows 98se and reboot in DOS. I managed to get sound working with the file you sent me in Windows 98se commandprompt (while still in win 98se) and it saved it to autoexec.wos instead of bat, wondering if I should edit the .bat file myself but I guess that does not fix anything. I also tried using dossound program for ac97 but did not work in DOS itself (well the program did but still no sound).

I will look into Revelations and task manager programs/packs, thanks for the tip.
C.J.

Previous

Return to Software