VOGONS

Reply 40 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is the adapter, just open up the proset utility in the systray and connect to your network. You also need to go to network in control panel and install tcp/ip for the Intel 2100 card, otherwise you won't get an IP address.

And yeah, ME is better in those ways but you do lose some DOS compatibility. It's DOS 8.0 (technically, but it's not that different). I've heard things about EMS being disabled, etc.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 41 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you know anything about Windows 98SE unattended installation disc? Looking on this website and MSFN, I've seen a few mentions. But it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth or something. Looks like it was something well known at the time over 8 years ago or something.

Personal Blog

Reply 42 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My stupid laptop is obtaining new problems all the time...

Let's see...I reinstalled DOS 7.10 after formatting the drive then setup Windows 98SE, but now it seems Windows 98SE is removing the CD-Rom drivers from DOS!? *Sigh* Maybe the cd for DOS is malfuctioning...previously I've burned CD's only to find out that they can start acting weird overtime of using them multiple times

My brain is so fried from attempting this for like 20+ hours...I'm gonna take a walk outside...I'm probably turning back to using Windows ME as well, after re-reading the dell support page about Win98 on the Latitude D600, maybe playing around with the resources will make the cd-rom recognizable...

Personal Blog

Reply 44 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I skimmed through this thread and I don't think anyone suggested installing the motherboard chipset drivers. You have to install that driver on the Latitude D600, or the optical drive and cardbus devices won't work. Anything else that needs updated drivers probably won't work either. 98SE and ME don't come with the driver for the Intel 855PM chipset.

I have 9x drivers for most things in the D600, except the modem and wireless. Mine came with a BCM94603 wireless card which doesn't seem to have 9x drivers. I can post the drivers I have here if you want.

I went with Windows ME on my Dell Latitude D600, the main reason being it comes with USB mass storage support built-in. That is such a life saver when the PC in question has a motherboard too new for 98SE or ME. 98SE doesn't have USB mass storage support, so if the CD drive and cardbus are unusable when first installing 98SE, it is very difficult to get into the PC to finish installing things. I've had some marginal luck installing incorrect CD drivers, another way would be to make a little partition on the HDD with fdisk before installation with the USB mass storage driver inside it.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 45 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

I skimmed through this thread and I don't think anyone suggested installing the motherboard chipset drivers. You have to install that driver on the Latitude D600, or the optical drive and cardbus devices won't work. Anything else that needs updated drivers probably won't work either. 98SE and ME don't come with the driver for the Intel 855PM chipset.

I have 9x drivers for most things in the D600, except the modem and wireless. Mine came with a BCM94603 wireless card which doesn't seem to have 9x drivers. I can post the drivers I have here if you want.

I went with Windows ME on my Dell Latitude D600, the main reason being it comes with USB mass storage support built-in. That is such a life saver when the PC in question has a motherboard too new for 98SE or ME. 98SE doesn't have USB mass storage support, so if the CD drive and cardbus are unusable when first installing 98SE, it is very difficult to get into the PC to finish installing things. I've had some marginal luck installing incorrect CD drivers, another way would be to make a little partition on the HDD with fdisk before installation with the USB mass storage driver inside it.

In both Windows 98SE and ME I installed the chipset from the Dell Website (Although it was meant for Windows 2000) http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/pro … de-d600/drivers
Had I used the wrong one? Is the intel one any different from the one on the dell website? Please do post drivers if there's anything excluded from previous posts! According to unofficial posts on the dell community, getting the laptop to recognize the cd-rom drive requires editing the resources or something

Personal Blog

Reply 46 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, you need a driver for 9x, a 2000 driver won't work. I got the Intel 855PM Win9x driver from Intel's website.

Here's the (partial) drivers for the Dell Latitude D600, it includes instructions, yes you'll be manually installing drivers a lot. Includes motherboard chipset, video, sound, ethernet and cardbus. Not included is the modem and wireless. The only one I haven't tested much is the cardbus. To know for certain which specific cardbus model to use from within the driver, I'd have to use 2000 or XP and install the standard driver in order to see which version of the O2Micro cardbus controller is being used.

Edit: zip file updated with wireless driver and client.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7teli2255px … _Drivers_V2.zip

For posterity here, I will mention that yes, on the Dell Latitude D600, the IDE channel driver typically shows as non-functional. I tried the method mentioned at Dell's site, which has you going to the device manager, IDE channel properties, resources, uncheck automatic settings, pick the bottom option from the list, then flip through the addresses until one with no conflictions is found (such as 00EF - 00FF). That method worked fine for me. The IDE channel shows up as generic, but it works ok.

Last edited by notsofossil on 2016-04-21, 07:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:
No, you need a driver for 9x, a 2000 driver won't work. I got the Intel 855PM Win9x driver from Intel's website. […]
Show full quote

No, you need a driver for 9x, a 2000 driver won't work. I got the Intel 855PM Win9x driver from Intel's website.

Here's the (partial) drivers for the Dell Latitude D600, it includes instructions, yes you'll be manually installing drivers a lot. Includes motherboard chipset, video, sound, ethernet and cardbus. Not included is the modem and wireless. The only one I haven't tested much is the cardbus. To know for certain which specific cardbus model to use from within the driver, I'd have to use 2000 or XP and install the standard driver in order to see which version of the O2Micro cardbus controller is being used.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q8xd6we3d3j … ude_d600_9x.zip

For posterity here, I will mention that yes, on the Dell Latitude D600, the IDE channel driver typically shows as non-functional. I tried the method mentioned at Dell's site, which has you going to the device manager, IDE channel properties, resources, uncheck automatic settings, pick the bottom option from the list, then flip through the addresses until one with no conflictions is found (such as 00EF - 00FF). That method worked fine for me. The IDE channel shows up as generic, but it works ok.

Thanks! I'm gonna try this tomorrow morning! 😀

Personal Blog

Reply 48 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a couple of mobo chipset installers in the download, I wasn't sure which one to take from Intel's website so I grabbed them both. I used the 'auto' one and it worked fine for me.

If using Win98SE, you'll have to come up with a way to get the mobo chipset driver into the hard drive, or the unofficial USB mass storage driver.

Reply 49 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

There's a couple of mobo chipset installers in the download, I wasn't sure which one to take from Intel's website so I grabbed them both. I used the 'auto' one and it worked fine for me.

If using Win98SE, you'll have to come up with a way to get the mobo chipset driver into the hard drive, or the unofficial USB mass storage driver.

Thank you!!! My windows ME laptop is almost done! It just need internet now 😉

For Cardbus, do I need to do PCMCIA socket or do I press PCI Card in device manager?
And wireless is almost setup too! I just need to figure out after installing Intel Pro Wireless 2100
1. Go to control panel
2. Click on networking
3. Install TCP? I'm unsure how to do this step. I tried to click add then have disk, entered the pro wireless 2100 and looked for the win9x inf. but that says it has no information for software???

Personal Blog

Reply 50 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is your CardBus card? If you're using the internal wifi (Pro Wireless 2100) you don't need an external card...

In the networking dialog, go Add ---> Protocol ---> Microsoft ---> TCP/IP
And that's it.

Reply 51 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

What is your CardBus card? If you're using the internal wifi (Pro Wireless 2100) you don't need an external card...

In the networking dialog, go Add ---> Protocol ---> Microsoft ---> TCP/IP
And that's it.

Sadly I don't think its working

2016-04-07 11.22.02.jpg
Filename
2016-04-07 11.22.02.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Personal Blog

Reply 52 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For cardbus, if Windows ME has given the cardbus slot a generic driver, update that. If not, then it will be in the unknown devices.

I think we need to confirm exactly what network devices you have. On my Dell Latitude D600, My ethernet and wireless are both Broadcom. BCM57xx and BCM94603 I think. Intel should have 9x drivers for the Pro Wireless 2100. The wireless card can be user changed, flip the laptop over and take look, there's a cover with one screw for the wireless card. You can always look at the physical wireless card to figure out what it is exactly.

I really need to get some Pro Wireless 2100 cards, my D600 and C640 could both use internal wireless.

When in doubt of your hardware or driver, you can try letting Windows determine if the driver is correct, using the update driver option in device manager. It doesn't always help, but occasionally Windows takes the new driver. In the case of the video chipset (ATi Radeon 9000), Windows never likes taking the driver, but it works fine.

Reply 53 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, that screen means your drivers aren't installed, only the ProSet utility is installed.

Go to the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLLANINT\PROW2100\WINSE-ME and run the SetupWLD utility. If that doesn't work you can use the Have Disk option in Device Manager to install the drivers manually.

Now here's the thing:

When installing these drivers, beware: sometimes right after installing them Windows will refuse to boot. But if you can get it to boot, then after that it will work perfectly every time. It's very finicky. Maybe you should just try letting it sit there for a while when it hangs at the boot screen and see what happens. Oh, but now that I think about it, it might work with Windows ME, who knows!

UPDATE: New post while I was writing this...

notsofossil wrote:

For cardbus, if Windows ME has given the cardbus slot a generic driver, update that. If not, then it will be in the unknown devices.

I think we need to confirm exactly what network devices you have. On my Dell Latitude D600, My ethernet and wireless are both Broadcom. BCM57xx and BCM94603 I think. Intel should have 9x drivers for the Pro Wireless 2100. The wireless card can be user changed, flip the laptop over and take look, there's a cover with one screw for the wireless card. You can always look at the physical wireless card to figure out what it is exactly.

Yeah, I forgot about that... Both of my laptops have the 2100 card. But if his has the Broadcom I think I have drivers for those I could post. And yes, the drivers that he has are the ones from the Intel site for the 2100 for 9x.

Reply 55 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the network adapter

2016-04-07 11.44.37.jpg
Filename
2016-04-07 11.44.37.jpg
File size
2.19 MiB
Views
File license

Remaining missing drivers

2016-04-07 11.49.21.jpg
Filename
2016-04-07 11.49.21.jpg
File size
2 MiB
Views
File license

Personal Blog

Reply 56 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first one is your ethernet LAN adapter. The second one labeled "PCI Network Controller" is the wireless adapter.
Follow notsofossil's instructions to open the panel on the bottom of the laptop, and find out what your wireless adapter is. I don't have Broadcom wireless drivers but I do have one for Dell WLAN minicard 1370 or something like that (some of the D600's came with this card). If that's what you have then I have drivers.

Reply 57 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

The first one is your ethernet LAN adapter. The second one labeled "PCI Network Controller" is the wireless adapter.
Follow notsofossil's instructions to open the panel on the bottom of the laptop, and find out what your wireless adapter is. I don't have Broadcom wireless drivers but I do have one for Dell WLAN minicard 1370 or something like that (some of the D600's came with this card). If that's what you have then I have drivers.

Thank you, now just need to figure out how to unscrew something so stubborn...

Personal Blog

Reply 58 of 208, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The screw for the RAM cover stripped on me, I think somebody glued it in. If you are looking at the underside of the laptop with the I/O ports at the top, the wireless cover is on the right.

Seeing as you have broadcom ethernet, there's very good odds your wireless card is broadcom too. My Google-fu couldn't find a 9x driver for the BCM94603 card. You may have to buy an Intel Pro Wireless 2100 card off eBay, or maybe some variety of Dell True Mobile wireless card like the 1150.

Reply 59 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

The screw for the RAM cover stripped on me, I think somebody glued it in. If you are looking at the underside of the laptop with the I/O ports at the top, the wireless cover is on the right.

Seeing as you have broadcom ethernet, there's very good odds your wireless card is broadcom too. My Google-fu couldn't find a 9x driver for the BCM94603 card. You may have to buy an Intel Pro Wireless 2100 card off eBay, or maybe some variety of Dell True Mobile wireless card like the 1150.

Turns out you are correct, my oppa had unscrewed the wireless card drive open and it turned out its the Broadcom card...

I guess until I buy one, I'm gonna go with my wireless card bus...
EDIT: Found this http://www.wireless-driver.com/broadcom-bcm94 … 000-xp-drivers/
There is a driver for the BCM94309MP card!

It installed, I just need to figure out how to access it and connect online

I'm not sure what to do after installing this though

Personal Blog