VOGONS

Reply 100 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Asomodai wrote:
Yes. My windows recognises my CD DVD Drive without having to go through DOS installing drivers. I just made sure I installed the […]
Show full quote
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I have a few questions to make sure everything is properly setup:
Did you fix resources (Does Windows recognize your cd/dvd drive?) if you didn't, make sure you boot to dos at least once and do everything in the directions before modifying any resources!

Yes. My windows recognises my CD DVD Drive without having to go through DOS installing drivers. I just made sure I installed the correct Chipset drivers and modified the resources.

I'll be giving that client a go asap.

The Synaptics driver that was provided within the thread causes VXD error on startup which has borked my installation. This is the third time it has happened so will probably not install it next time!

Do not download anything unless stated! I never tested those drivers DosFreak provided, so I have no idea what they can cause! The reason you must go into like stated in the instructions is so it still works after modifying resources, you do not need to install any Windows 9x drivers in DOS. The only thing we need to figure out (if you plan to use dos) is getting VDMSound 9x working! Because of the sound driver's lack of DOS support, we must figure out a way to make it emulate a sound blaster for DOS, if you plan on using DOS programs! Games appear to work fine in native dos, there's just no sound.

Personal Blog

Reply 101 of 208, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:
Asomodai wrote:
Yes. My windows recognises my CD DVD Drive without having to go through DOS installing drivers. I just made sure I installed the […]
Show full quote
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I have a few questions to make sure everything is properly setup:
Did you fix resources (Does Windows recognize your cd/dvd drive?) if you didn't, make sure you boot to dos at least once and do everything in the directions before modifying any resources!

Yes. My windows recognises my CD DVD Drive without having to go through DOS installing drivers. I just made sure I installed the correct Chipset drivers and modified the resources.

I'll be giving that client a go asap.

The Synaptics driver that was provided within the thread causes VXD error on startup which has borked my installation. This is the third time it has happened so will probably not install it next time!

Do not download anything unless stated! I never tested those drivers DosFreak provided, so I have no idea what they can cause! The reason you must go into like stated in the instructions is so it still works after modifying resources, you do not need to install any Windows 9x drivers in DOS. The only thing we need to figure out (if you plan to use dos) is getting VDMSound 9x working! Because of the sound driver's lack of DOS support, we must figure out a way to make it emulate a sound blaster for DOS, if you plan on using DOS programs! Games appear to work fine in native dos, there's just no sound.

Can I make a suggestion? Can you replace the Original post with the updated driver pack and the fresh instructions?

I wanted to give the Synaptics driver a chance. It hasn't worked, no problems. Now we know 😀

Reply 102 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made a bundle including all drivers and the instructions :>
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8947c02817ktb6 … D600_Drivers.7z

Still need to solve getting Audio to work under DOS >.<
I need to figure out this error when installing VDMSound 9x!
58575cb07fe35_VDMSSounderror.png.5c3a439678aeab2fed3407bc99ed4daa.png

Personal Blog

Reply 103 of 208, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Best of luck with that! I am looking on with interest!

So at the moment the only devices that do not work according to Device Manager is PCI Card and PCI Universal Serial Bus (I thought I installed the USB Universal driver, any ideas?)

I installed Odyssey, however it does not recognise the wi-fi card.

Reply 104 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Asomodai wrote:

Best of luck with that! I am looking on with interest!

So at the moment the only devices that do not work according to Device Manager is PCI Card and PCI Universal Serial Bus (I thought I installed the USB Universal driver, any ideas?)

I installed Odyssey, however it does not recognise the wi-fi card.

Just plug in a flash drive then when windows wants to install software for it, let it do its default search and it should install it 😀
Note: Never leave a usb plugged in while Windows 9x boots otherwise it will cause the boot to hang!

Rather odd why Odyssey doesn't work...I've used it myself to find it working properly? (I know this because we're both using the exact same hardware and wireless card)
I'm gonna re-upload it to include Buffalo Wireless Utility as well (supports up to WPA)

Personal Blog

Reply 105 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update: If the PCI card has an issue, you will need to manually have the very bottom resource of it changed because its conflicting with something else!
(Oh Windows 9x how you're always so unstable...oh well, I love you anyway)

Personal Blog

Reply 106 of 208, by shaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:
Made a bundle including all drivers and the instructions :> http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8947c02817ktb6 … D600_Drivers.7z […]
Show full quote

Made a bundle including all drivers and the instructions :>
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h8947c02817ktb6 … D600_Drivers.7z

Still need to solve getting Audio to work under DOS >.<
I need to figure out this error when installing VDMSound 9x!
58575cb07fe35_VDMSSounderror.png.5c3a439678aeab2fed3407bc99ed4daa.png

Strange. I got it to install. But I am having trouble going to DOS. I can edit the exit to dos.pif and get it to reboot and go to DOS, but not go directly to DOS from Windows. Do I need to setup a special config and autoexec to do that? And dosdrv.bat will only load for me in Windows. If I try to load it from DOS it hangs on vxdsinit and says vxdsload must be run from Windows. So how can you get it to work in DOS? In the readme it states it won't work in Win98

Reply 107 of 208, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not clear on exactly what you're trying to do. VDMSound for Win9x is alpha software and I wouldn't even bother trying it. Also, Windows 98 already in theory provides its own Sound Blaster emulation for programs running from an MS-DOS prompt. Is there a particular program you are using for testing?

In any case, nothing you can do will help if you exit to DOS one way or another - like it says, it's supposed to be run from Windows.

Reply 108 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I'm not clear on exactly what you're trying to do. VDMSound for Win9x is alpha software and I wouldn't even bother trying it. Also, Windows 98 already in theory provides its own Sound Blaster emulation for programs running from an MS-DOS prompt. Is there a particular program you are using for testing?

In any case, nothing you can do will help if you exit to DOS one way or another - like it says, it's supposed to be run from Windows.

I'm planning to check again if there's a way to setup the Sigmatel audio on DOS soon. I'm using DOS games to check if the sound works in DOS mode.

If that doesn't work:
The issue here is that the integrated sound made for the Dell Latitude D600 isn't DOS compatible so I must find another way.

Personal Blog

Reply 109 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

According to here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/l … /3517/t/4236475 Sigmatel Audio depends on DirectX in windows...leaving it useless in direct DOS. Unless I can find some way to get VDMSound 9x working or find a workaround, the sound cannot work on DOS.

Personal Blog

Reply 110 of 208, by shaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So is it possible to use a DOS SB compatible driver that would recognize the Sigmatel audio? Or would someone have to hack a driver? Like I said above I got it to install and I checked a game but it was hit or miss if the sound worked but the game would lock up even without me loading the vdmsound. I don't have a lot of DOS games to test.

Reply 111 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shaq wrote:

So is it possible to use a DOS SB compatible driver that would recognize the Sigmatel audio? Or would someone have to hack a driver? Like I said above I got it to install and I checked a game but it was hit or miss if the sound worked but the game would lock up even without me loading the vdmsound. I don't have a lot of DOS games to test.

Darn my tired mind, I didn't notice your first post!

I'm unsure how to solve many of these issues...I too am experiencing inability to directly enter dos via application that requires it and can only use dos programs by manually having windows restart to dos mode then type the commands. I've only tested one game so far and never experienced locking...I'll try testing more if I can.

I know for sure the reason sound is hit and miss is because the 9x port was based off an older, less reliable version...and it hasn't been updated in over 10 years I think.

Typing this pretty late...
I'm gonna try to see if I can do anything about this...I may need to reinstall my laptop though because I cannot get past the screenshot I posted.

Personal Blog

Reply 112 of 208, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I too am experiencing inability to directly enter dos via application that requires it

What exactly happens when you go to Start->Run and type "command.com" ?

and can only use dos programs by manually having windows restart to dos mode then type the commands.

Let me emphasize that if you do that, you will never get sound.

Reply 113 of 208, by shaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
What exactly happens when you go to Start->Run and type "command.com" ? […]
Show full quote
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I too am experiencing inability to directly enter dos via application that requires it

and can only use dos programs by manually having windows restart to dos mode then type the commands.

Do you know if there are any laptops that will have sound in DOS? Or have all of them used directx?

Reply 114 of 208, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JiaoTongNan wrote:

According to here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/l … /3517/t/4236475 Sigmatel Audio depends on DirectX in windows...

I'm not sure exactly what the person in that thread was referring to, but it's not quite accurate to say that it "depends on DirectX" – it simply depends on the Windows drivers.

But like I said – it should be possible to run at least some DOS games without exiting Windows, and you might be able to get sound in such cases without having DOS drivers. Hence my question: what exactly happens when you go to Start->Run and type "command.com" ?

Do you know if there are any laptops that will have sound in DOS?

I don't know offhand, but there have probably been threads about such things before.

Reply 115 of 208, by shaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:

According to here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/l … /3517/t/4236475 Sigmatel Audio depends on DirectX in windows...

I'm not sure exactly what the person in that thread was referring to, but it's not quite accurate to say that it "depends on DirectX" – it simply depends on the Windows drivers.

But like I said – it should be possible to run at least some DOS games without exiting Windows, and you might be able to get sound in such cases without having DOS drivers. Hence my question: what exactly happens when you go to Start->Run and type "command.com" ?

I get a command prompt at C:\Windows\Desktop

Reply 116 of 208, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shaq wrote:

Yes, that is what should happen, but Mr. Nan was saying:

Reply 117 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shaq wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
What exactly happens when you go to Start->Run and type "command.com" ? […]
Show full quote
JiaoTongNan wrote:

Do you know if there are any laptops that will have sound in DOS? Or have all of them used directx?

Sorry I caused a bit of confusion. I made a mistake there, only the video driver of the dell latitude d600 requires directx. But it doesn't appear to affect video capabilities in dos, so forget everything I said about DirectX.

shaq wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what the person in that thread was referring to, but it's not quite accurate to say that it "depends on Dir […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:

When I get time, I'll try to see if I could find a sound blaster emulator for 9x or something.

Personal Blog

Reply 118 of 208, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JiaoTongNan wrote:

When I get time, I'll try to see if I could find a sound blaster emulator for 9x or something.

Look, there's no such thing. There's the internal Sound Blaster emulation (theoretically) provided by Windows 98 in sbemul.sys, there's the alpha version of VDMSound (which doesn't seem to be worth messing with), there are hardware-specific things provided by Creative (and possibly others), and there's DOSBox. Windows 98 has been around for almost twenty years now and I am reasonably confident in stating that you will not find something else.

Reply 119 of 208, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You do not need vdm sound under win98se.

Win98 has a soundblaster pro emulation build in.

Just open a dos-box inside Win98 and type SET.

There should be a line displayed BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4.

This works for most Dos-Games.