Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote:

Thank you so much! I can't thank you enough keenmaster!!! So little people know how to do this >.<

I'm getting a headache from this...I'm so new to DOS and don't really know how to install those drivers...
Why can't this stupid computer just recognize my dvd drive x_X

No problem at all! I enjoy helping people, really I do. I don't know why 98 doesn't recognize the drive on these models. It is pretty annoying.

JiaoTongNan wrote:

drive C: won't use fdisk, D: isn't recognized, A: isn't valid.

Aha. This means the hard drive isn't formatted yet, and the CD is installing itself as drive C. So everything I said about drives A or D before? Use drive C now. EXCEPT for after you do all the stuff with fdisk: after that, the hard drive becomes drive C and the CD becomes drive D.

leileilol wrote:

Because it's not real. It's bootleg. It's fake. It's misleading.

No. DOS 7.1 is the DOS that comes with Windows 98, rebranded as version "7.1", which means it's totally legit. In your case, you must use this DOS since it's the only one (made by Microsoft, that is) that supports FAT32 drives. Every previous version uses FAT16, which doesn't support drives greater than 2 GB. In the strictest possible sense you might say that it's "bootleg", "fake", or "misleading" but it still works, and the DOS 7.1 boot disks that you can find give you a great collection of all the drivers and utilities you need to run DOS. Trust me, I've used DOS my whole life and done this about 5 million times.

JiaoTongNan wrote:

DOS 7.10 apparently can't do fdisk and won't recognize the DVD-RW drive (CD-RW that can only read DVD).

It will do fdisk, you just have to find where it is. Fdisk is a separate utility that will run in any DOS, but you need the special Windows 98 ("7.1") version that works with FAT32. Could you list the contents of the C drive? I might be able to tell you where to find fdisk. And yes, it will recognize the CD drive if you install the right drivers. And your if your disk drive will read DVDs, then it will automatically read CDs as well so if that wasn't working before than it's either some weird glitch or your drivers aren't/weren't installed correctly.

JiaoTongNan wrote:

DOS 6.22? (No CD version)

DOS 6.22, as I mentioned above, won't work with drives larger than 2 GB. It's a great DOS except for that.

JiaoTongNan wrote:

Ultimate Boot disk??? (Don't really know what that is)

That's DOS 7.1, with everything you need stuffed onto a floppy disk. If you don't have the floppy drive module for your laptop then this is useless to you.

JiaoTongNan wrote:

FreeDOS?

FreeDOS would work fine (maybe - don't quote me on that, I've never tried it in this situation before), just make sure you install it with the CD drivers. Windows 98 setup will replace the base system files (MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM) with the 98 versions though.

EDIT: Waaaait a minute... are you booting from the hard drive or the CD drive when you press F8? You might want to press F12 at the BIOS so you can select the CD for boot. Hmmmmm... sorry, didn't read your previous post carefully enough.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 21 of 208, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Because it's not real. It's bootleg. It's fake. It's misleading.

No. DOS 7.1 is the DOS that comes with Windows 98, rebranded as version "7.1", which means it's totally legit.

Pretty sure the DOS which shipped with Windows didn't involve pop-up windows about checking addons, not working with fdisk, and pop-up a window stating that "MS-DOS is licensed under the GNU GPL".

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Pretty sure the DOS which shipped with Windows didn't involve pop-up windows about checking addons

Dude, you did not read the previous posts properly. He was installing DOS 7.1 on his laptop using the custom-built DOS 7.1 CD setup utility, and it asked him if he wanted "add-ons" installed, which iirc was stuff like DOSSHELL. There are NO pop-up windows whatsoever in 7.1. It works and runs exactly like the 98 version.

leileilol wrote:

not working with fdisk

He can't run fdisk because it isn't in the current path. If I'm not mistaken he didn't complete the DOS 7.1 setup, and so either fdisk wasn't copied over or the PATH variable wasn't set.

leileilol wrote:

pop-up a window stating that "MS-DOS is licensed under the GNU GPL".

??? I've never, ever seen that before. Can you give me a screenshot? Because if DOS 7.1 says that then it's obviously wrong. But I don't think it does, at least not outside the setup utility, and even if it did it would not make DOS 7.1 as bad as you say.

Reply 23 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've reinstalled MS-DOS 7.1 w/ an add-on which is a graphic vision file manager. This is what it looks like. I am not used to using a computer without a mouse

20160404_204158[1].jpg
Filename
20160404_204158[1].jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20160404_204152[1].jpg
Filename
20160404_204152[1].jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
20160404_204147[1].jpg
Filename
20160404_204147[1].jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
20160404_204101[1].jpg
Filename
20160404_204101[1].jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license

Personal Blog

Reply 24 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... That's about the most minimal install you could possibly have. No CD drivers though... Try reinstalling with the full install, then see what's there. At that point in your graphical file manager you should be able to access the CD drive; if you can't then your DOS install CD doesn't install CD drivers (maybe) and perhaps you should try the FreeDOS 1.1 full ISO install. If you want help with the DOS shell keyboard commands then I can give you a simple tutorial 😀

Reply 25 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I reinstalled using full install. I think it fixed the CD-ROM driver. Now I can use D: in the command., fdisk is usable too now. I went to fdisk and it said there was already a DOS partition w/ FAT32. I am on step 4 now, dvd drive seems to work now

4. Now run the command "sys a: c:". (if this doesn't work run "sys d: c:" instead.) Same thing as FDISK, it might be in the DOS or SYSTEM folder if it doesn't run automatically.
5. Now your hard drive is formatted with the bare-bones system files. Next you install the drivers you need:
6. Make a folder called DOS on the C: drive.
7. Find the DOS or SYSTEM folder on the CD. Copy the following files to the C:\DOS folder:
-HIMEM.SYS (XMS memory driver)
-EMM386.EXE (EMS memory driver)
-VIDE-CDD.SYS (CD driver, part 1)
-SHSUCDX.SYS (CD driver, part 2)
-EDIT.COM (text editor)
8. Now, using EDIT, create two files in the root of the C drive: CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. These will instruct DOS to load those drivers you copied earlier. The contents of CONFIG.SYS need to be as follows:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\EMM386.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IDE-CD
DOS=HIGH,UMB

The contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT are as follows:

@ECHO OFF
PATH=C:\;C:\DOS
SHSUCDX /D:?IDE-CD

That's it! Reboot your computer without the CD in the drive and the hard drive should boot up to the DOS prompt, and you should be able to read any CDs you put in by going to the D: drive.
If you want I can explain to you exactly what all of those commands above mean and what the drivers do 😁
Now you can follow the rest of my instructions above to install Windows 98.

I need to figure out how to make a folder in DOS, I've never done so before. Should I use the graphical viewer for MS-DOS?

Personal Blog

Reply 26 of 208, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote:
I reinstalled using full install. I think it fixed the CD-ROM driver. Now I can use D: in the command., fdisk is usable too now. […]
Show full quote

I reinstalled using full install. I think it fixed the CD-ROM driver. Now I can use D: in the command., fdisk is usable too now. I went to fdisk and it said there was already a DOS partition w/ FAT32. I am on step 4 now, dvd drive seems to work now

4. Now run the command "sys a: c:". (if this doesn't work run "sys d: c:" instead.) Same thing as FDISK, it might be in the DOS or SYSTEM folder if it doesn't run automatically.
5. Now your hard drive is formatted with the bare-bones system files. Next you install the drivers you need:
6. Make a folder called DOS on the C: drive.
7. Find the DOS or SYSTEM folder on the CD. Copy the following files to the C:\DOS folder:
-HIMEM.SYS (XMS memory driver)
-EMM386.EXE (EMS memory driver)
-VIDE-CDD.SYS (CD driver, part 1)
-SHSUCDX.SYS (CD driver, part 2)
-EDIT.COM (text editor)
8. Now, using EDIT, create two files in the root of the C drive: CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. These will instruct DOS to load those drivers you copied earlier. The contents of CONFIG.SYS need to be as follows:

DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\EMM386.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IDE-CD
DOS=HIGH,UMB

The contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT are as follows:

@ECHO OFF
PATH=C:\;C:\DOS
SHSUCDX /D:?IDE-CD

That's it! Reboot your computer without the CD in the drive and the hard drive should boot up to the DOS prompt, and you should be able to read any CDs you put in by going to the D: drive.
If you want I can explain to you exactly what all of those commands above mean and what the drivers do 😁
Now you can follow the rest of my instructions above to install Windows 98.

I need to figure out how to make a folder in DOS, I've never done so before. Should I use the graphical viewer for MS-DOS?

mkdir

Reply 27 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, since you've installed DOS 7.1 successfully using the full installer instead of the manual install, you can go ahead and skip all the way to step 5 of my post about installing Windows 98 (i.e., the step with "Reboot with the USB flash drive"). When xcopy gives you a prompt about "file or directory" choose directory.

Reply 28 of 208, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Leilei, yeah I think there's two hackjobs of DOS 7.1 making the rounds - one being an actual copy of DOS 7.1 as provided by Windows 98/etc., the other I'm not sure but maybe a hack of FreeDOS with all the strings changed to "MS-DOS 7.10" (and also including some commercial apps included in the Microsoft version).

Either way, the latter's maybe a bit risky due to the scene nature of its package, whereas the former is illegal to download from some random site being as it wasn't intended to be distributed without Windows 98, and if you don't own Windows 98 you aren't permitted to use it etc.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

OK, since you've installed DOS 7.1 successfully using the full installer instead of the manual install, you can go ahead and skip all the way to step 5 of my post about installing Windows 98 (i.e., the step with "Reboot with the USB flash drive"). When xcopy gives you a prompt about "file or directory" choose directory.

Alright, I plugged in my 32gb flash drive w/ a folder called drivers. Not sure if DOS is recognizing it though. I tried every letter of the alphabet after plugging it in. Doing Copy or xcopy on C: will give me "Invalid number of parameters 0 File(s) copied" and "Required parameter missing".

I'm going to try transferring the files onto a disc and copy drivers from there
EDIT: Didn't work

Personal Blog

Reply 30 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be you've got "USB legacy emulation" turned off in the bios. Or you could try a different USB drive, not all of them are compatible... It should show up as drive E:
And for the DOS 7.1 thing, I didn't know there was a bootleg FreeDOS rebranded as 7.1 out there. I guess I'd better do some research before I speak... 😒 But since the OP does own Windows 98 he can use the rebranded 98 DOS, right?

Reply 31 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

It could be you've got "USB legacy emulation" turned off in the bios. Or you could try a different USB drive, not all of them are compatible... It should show up as drive E:
And for the DOS 7.1 thing, I didn't know there was a bootleg FreeDOS rebranded as 7.1 out there. I guess I'd better do some research before I speak... 😒 But since the OP does own Windows 98 he can use the rebranded 98 DOS, right?

Sadly, I don't think the Dell D600 has USB legacy emulation in the bios, just bio emulation which is already turned on. I've already used the rebranded DOS.

So far, I researched the DOS commands and it seemed to have copied my CD's folder "Drivers" I hope. I'm not sure if it only copied one file or the whole folder...I'm currently installing Windows 98 to find out!

Personal Blog

Reply 32 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you keenmaster486! After the installation of DOS, I went straight to setting up Windows 98SE. A wizard came up during installation to remove old drivers, I pressed cancel and now the laptop recognizes the cd drive! Hooray!!! (Oh and now I can spell recognize properly after having to spell it so much! 😀 )

It didn't work to copy drivers, but its no biggie since my dvd drive can deliver the drivers!
(HOORAY I'M ONE OF THE NEW PEOPLE IN THE WORLD THAT CAN SETUP WINDOWS 98SE IN A DELL LATITUDE D600!!!)

Oops, scratch that off, the audio driver is acting up weird. I'm being told to deliver a CAB called kmixer.sys;DRIVER20;CAB...My Win98SE disc doesn't have it...

Personal Blog

Reply 33 of 208, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote:
Thank you keenmaster486! After the installation of DOS, I went straight to setting up Windows 98SE. A wizard came up during inst […]
Show full quote

Thank you keenmaster486! After the installation of DOS, I went straight to setting up Windows 98SE. A wizard came up during installation to remove old drivers, I pressed cancel and now the laptop recognizes the cd drive! Hooray!!! (Oh and now I can spell recognize properly after having to spell it so much! 😀 )

It didn't work to copy drivers, but its no biggie since my dvd drive can deliver the drivers!
(HOORAY I'M ONE OF THE NEW PEOPLE IN THE WORLD THAT CAN SETUP WINDOWS 98SE IN A DELL LATITUDE D600!!!)

Oops, scratch that off, the audio driver is acting up weird. I'm being told to deliver a CAB called kmixer.sys;DRIVER20;CAB...My Win98SE disc doesn't have it...

point it to the sound card drivers instead

Reply 34 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:
Thank you keenmaster486! After the installation of DOS, I went straight to setting up Windows 98SE. A wizard came up during inst […]
Show full quote

point it to the sound card drivers instead

Didn't seem to work oddly. I installed Windows 98 Service Pack and now sound works!

Personal Blog

Reply 35 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote:

😁 Congratulations. It is probably about the newest laptop you can successfully install 98 on... anything newer I've found tends to have Intel GMA graphics that 98 has no drivers for 😐

JiaoTongNan wrote:

Didn't seem to work oddly. I installed Windows 98 Service Pack and now sound works!

Weird. Must have had some generic AC'97 drivers that worked with the sigmatel audio... good thing.

Reply 36 of 208, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:
:-D Congratulations. It is probably about the newest laptop you can successfully install 98 on... anything newer I've found ten […]
Show full quote
JiaoTongNan wrote:

😁 Congratulations. It is probably about the newest laptop you can successfully install 98 on... anything newer I've found tends to have Intel GMA graphics that 98 has no drivers for 😐

JiaoTongNan wrote:

Weird. Must have had some generic AC'97 drivers that worked with the sigmatel audio... good thing.

Now I dunno anything with a Go 6800 Ultra or slower should work as well.

Reply 37 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Almost works! Just a few issues with Win98's stubbornness...this error and my mouse not working...yet my flash drive does, ironic, my mouse said compatible with Windows ME, and my flash drive is brand new this year...(Darn it Windows 9x, you're so terrible yet I love you anyway...)

Invalid VxD dynamic ink call from CBTNDIS3(01) + 00005CD6 to device "0028", service 8029.
Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct this problem.

To continue running Windows press Y or ENTER. To quit the current program press N. If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable. Do you want to continue?

Does anyone have any idea what this could mean?
Never mind, I figured out it was just the bad card bus installation

Still need to work with the mouse though, it worked fine on Windows ME yet not 98SE. Don't forget the PCI, Universal Host Controller, and a controller?, hopefully someone will eventually come up with universal drivers one day...I wished the Unattended Windows 98 Disc still existed...it seemed so nice...

Better yet, do you think there would be any difference if I tried to install Windows ME, after installing the DVD drivers from DOS?

Personal Blog

Reply 38 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... from what other people were saying Windows ME might remove your CD drivers, so no guarantees... but you could try it. And you did install the "universal" USB drivers I included in that zip file? Because I thought there was a good mouse driver there, but maybe not.

Reply 39 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Hmm... from what other people were saying Windows ME might remove your CD drivers, so no guarantees... but you could try it. And you did install the "universal" USB drivers I included in that zip file? Because I thought there was a good mouse driver there, but maybe not.

I had installed the universal driver. Like mentioned earlier, my newer 32gb Lexer flash drive worked, but my mouse with Windows ME support didn't...

There must be something newer in Windows ME that allows less errors in my experience...
Both will hang during boot if anything is plugged into usb during boot-up.
Windows 98SE wouldn't install a mouse's driver, Windows ME installed it just fine after a few seconds
Windows 98SE wouldn't work with software for the cardbus would give me an error, completely making the cardbus unusable, Windows ME almost completely worked, but needed me to insert CD
I've read somewhere Windows 98SE w/ kernelex couldn't run a certain newer version of flash player that Windows ME w/ kernelex could run
Windows 98SE required all updates in order to use the audio driver, ME worked fine out of the box
Windows 98SE has no native usb driver, Windows ME does
Microsoft updated DirectX 9 w/ ME compatibility until 2008, Windows 98SE stopped 2006
Windows 98SE had a lot of conflicts and issues, Windows ME didn't (Although this could be due to installing over DOS, but we'll see after I test it

Windows ME is way underrated 😦 plus if you need DOS, there's unofficial programs which can allow DOS again.
Edit: Well, Windows ME doesn't work through DOS 7.10, bummer...

So far
-Windows ME + USB, Video, and Audio
-Windows 98SE + DVD Drive, USB (Minus mouse), Video, Audio
...There must be some way I can make Windows 9x work on this 10 year old machine...

The internet doesn't work on Windows98SE, cardbus won't work. I installed the intel pro 2100, do I need to install an adapter as well?

I managed to find something called "Unattended Windows 98 Boot Cd" after searching for a very long time on the internet. Why was it removed from MSFN?

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2016-04-06, 04:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Personal Blog