Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

Re: Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2017-12-24 @ 05:07

I'm not super active on these forums, but my interest in 9x never dies so I come check every month at minimal. But be cautious because I'm not constantly on the forums. If you need something critical, message me on MSFN forums.

dosquest wrote:Hey, how's the progress?

Turns out the trottled CPU is a result of the laptop seeing the charger as counterfeit, ironic because an aftermarket charger from ebay bypasses the test unlike a damaged Dell AC Adapter.

After countless headaches of Windows 98SE, I settled with ME. You may ask "WHY!?" and the answer simply is that Windows ME works stable unlike 98SE, ironically. My 98SE installations proved to be quite problematic and required a bunch of work for an unstable system that simply lagged with a USB mouse. Windows ME is pretty much ready out of the box to begin installing important components while 98SE needs to be updated a bunch and may still give nagging errors of asking for a cab file.

As mentioned by a user earlier, the modified broadcom card causes boot failures on 9x

Also figured out an issue of Windows 9x hanging on boot *could* be fixed by enabling ACPI on the installation (worked for ME).

A small list of fixes/workarounds on 9x
-ME freezing after a while? Set a screensaver to prevent this as much as possible!
I believe the problem with 9x freezing on a D600 is because of how the drivers are written. The instructions on the WDM drivers cause freezing if the system hibernates, so you must set a screensaver to prevent this.

I still haven't figured out how to enable sound in native dos, but I just use DosFreak's DOSBox compiled for 9x.

dosquest wrote:I recently picked up a Dell D400 which is sorta similar to this one. Except, it uses the Intel integrated graphics and what looks like AC97 drivers. Though, I'm having a heck of a time finding drivers for it. I thought I had found audio drivers, and I installed them, and on one install of Windows 98SE the sound worked...for one startup, then upon reboot it would only play static out of the speakers. Then, after another fresh install, it would BSOD after installing the exact same sound drivers. Now, I can't seem to find the sound drivers anymore. The graphics drivers are really hard to find also, I managed to find the driver, then lost it, pulling my hair out over this...

Did you install the chipset drivers first? They are very critical otherwise the sound driver installation may fail.

I'll try looking and help you, but I cannot make any promises.
EDIT: I found there are two model drivers, a VDM, and VXD model. I would recommend trying the VXD model first because mixing VDM and VXD drivers may cause instabilities.
VXD:
http://support.advantech.com.tw/support ... e=Download
VDM:
https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver ... tion/4342/

I do not have a D400, so I cannot test these.
JiaoTongNan

Postby keenmaster486 » 2017-12-24 @ 05:48

I'd like to mention that I just fully installed Windows 98 on my D600 using these instructions. Boo-yah!

But I had to make my WiFi security WEP for it to work. My laptop has the Intel 2100 card. Anyone had any luck with WPA on this card? I'm using the Lenovo drivers and the Odyssey client manager.

EDIT: Oh, I'm posting this from said laptop using RetroZIlla! It's surprisingly fast.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Very silly indeed: https://audaxeundum.wordpress.com
keenmaster486
Oldbie

Postby dosquest » 2017-12-24 @ 05:58

Oh wow! Thanks! I couldn't find any chipset drivers...let alone know where to find them...I will check out those sound drivers. Now, as for the Intel graphics chip drivers, any ideas on that?
Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.
dosquest
Oldbie

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2017-12-24 @ 20:40

keenmaster486 wrote:I'd like to mention that I just fully installed Windows 98 on my D600 using these instructions. Boo-yah!

But I had to make my WiFi security WEP for it to work. My laptop has the Intel 2100 card. Anyone had any luck with WPA on this card? I'm using the Lenovo drivers and the Odyssey client manager.

EDIT: Oh, I'm posting this from said laptop using RetroZIlla! It's surprisingly fast.

If you only need WPA, use Buffalo Client Manager.
If you only need WPA2, use Odyssey Client.
A member of MSFN gave us Odyssey Client! WPA2 is now available on 9x!!!

dosquest wrote:Oh wow! Thanks! I couldn't find any chipset drivers...let alone know where to find them...I will check out those sound drivers. Now, as for the Intel graphics chip drivers, any ideas on that?

The chipset is an Intel 855GM, the driver for the Dell Latitude D600 may work. They're both Intel 855, but the D600 has 855PM. If not, tell me and I'll look for one.

A new, updated bundle (now includes wireless utilities!)
http://linkshrink.net/7jat66

I'm amazed, over 227 people have used my bundle! What a blessing it is to know teenage me is helping people ^_^

The forums won't let me update the very first post to update this link...I wanna make it convenient for anyone who finds this place via google!
JiaoTongNan

Postby KCompRoom2000 » 2017-12-24 @ 21:45

dosquest wrote:Now, as for the Intel graphics chip drivers, any ideas on that?

Here's an Intel Extreme Graphics driver for Windows 9x that should work on your Dell Latitude D400 (and should also work on the D500 and D505 which also used the same Intel GPU):
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7005/Intel-R-Extreme-Graphics-2-driver?product=81528
1988-96:SL-54U5|P233MMX|64MB|Virge325|YMF719-S
1995-98:P2B-VE|C433|192MB|Rage Pro|Voodoo2|CT4500/32M
1998-01:GX150MT|PIII-S 1400|384MB|GF4Ti4200|CT4670
2000-05:A8V|A64 3700+|2GB|RadeonX800
KCompRoom2000
Oldbie

Postby keenmaster486 » 2017-12-24 @ 23:23

JiaoTongNan wrote:If you only need WPA2, use Odyssey Client.

I know - I'm using Odyssey Client.

It attempts to connect using WPA2 OR WPA (either one) but it keeps saying "searching for *my SSID* " without actually connecting.

When I set my router to WEP, it works perfectly.
keenmaster486
Oldbie

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2017-12-25 @ 02:25

keenmaster486 wrote:
JiaoTongNan wrote:If you only need WPA2, use Odyssey Client.

I know - I'm using Odyssey Client.

It attempts to connect using WPA2 OR WPA (either one) but it keeps saying "searching for *my SSID* " without actually connecting.

When I set my router to WEP, it works perfectly.

After searching a bit, it's because the Pro Wireless 2100 did not have WPA compatibility until Dell released a newer driver which supported it. Unfortunately, it's W2K or later.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en ... Id=R105328

IBM Driver (unsure if this supports WPA2)
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds001832

Are you using the A or B model?
JiaoTongNan

Postby keenmaster486 » 2017-12-25 @ 03:29

Ah, that would make sense.

I'm using the A model.
keenmaster486
Oldbie

Postby dosquest » 2017-12-25 @ 07:14

None of the drivers you linked worked. The chipset refused to install. The sound drivers installed but didn't detect any driver, and the graphics drivers failed with an unknown error "hardware installation halted, unknown hardware error. Please see program documentation." I checked the readme, no mention of any helpful info.
Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.
dosquest
Oldbie

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2017-12-25 @ 07:31

keenmaster486 wrote:Ah, that would make sense.

I'm using the A model.

dosquest wrote:None of the drivers you linked worked. The chipset refused to install. The sound drivers installed but didn't detect any driver, and the graphics drivers failed with an unknown error "hardware installation halted, unknown hardware error. Please see program documentation." I checked the readme, no mention of any helpful info.

Like mentioned before, the sound and video drivers are probably dependent on the chipset to work.

Try this site
Click on the win9x136.zip link.

Another alternative I found
Try both at this point.
JiaoTongNan

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2018-9-04 @ 05:59

In case anyone finds this topic via search engine, I am proud to say I found a proper cardbus driver to work on Windows 98SE/ME! For once CNET did a wonderful job!
https://download.cnet.com/O2Micro-Cardb ... 63918.html

If a cab file is missing during installation, go to C:\Windows\System to find the cardev.exe file!

Also, I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE usage of the Broadcom Wireless Card. It causes system instability because it was originally meant for Windows 2000 and modded to work on 98SE/ME!!!

With this good news, now WPA2 card buses can be used on the laptop instead of an alternative wireless card or using the faulty broadcom driver!

Last but not least, I finally figured out how to enable DOS' sound! It appears it works natively on Windows ME once DOS is re-enabled! O_O But on my previous Windows 98 installation it didn't work, so the SETBLAST.EXE file will be critical to use to change which and where the DOS sound driver is used!

http://linkshrink.net/7URrxi
JiaoTongNan

Postby C.J. » 2018-9-21 @ 11:19

Hi, I am new to Vogons and in need of help (a lot of it I think) haha. So I'm trying to install win98se on my D600. My D600 has an internal cd/dvd drive and no floppy drive so I'm using an external floppydrive. I have the original win98se install cd-rom with original boot disk. I think I got most of the drivers for win98se itself, maybe all but haven't gotten around to test that because win98se is not yet installed with cd/dvd working.

I did not know that it'd be this much of a hassle so I just went on installing win98se on the D600. Which it froze time after time on the hardware or start menu in setup. So I checked the ram memory, pulled them out and put them in and it installed Win98se. But no cd/dvd drive detected. So then I found Vogons.org, followed what ýou did here.

Here's what happened next. So yeah it's obvious I followed all the steps but what went wrong?
I installed DOS 7.10 (DOS UNION) and it worked. Then installed windows on top and it failed.. some errors and it told me to shut off the system.

Ok again began at the top partition deleted format etc. But now with creating the folder DOS on my C drive and putting in himem.sys/emm386.exe/vide-cdd.sys/I could not find shsucdx.sys anywhere so I just put in all files so that'd be nasm.mac shcdx86.com shsucdx.com shsucdx.nsm
So after that I made the autoexec.bat and the config.sys following directions on Vogons.

After I created those it did not work since all files were in DOS but the path was not right. Was set on C:\ not on C:\DOS. Ok then I fixed these missing file errors, by setting the path right I had it configured to look for those files in the root but they are in the DOS folder which contains all the files. Is that right?

It boots up without errors in DOS atm and the cd drive works assigned to the letter D.

So now I can install win98se without the problems I had earlier right?

Oh I also put 3 xcopy files on the C:\ because xcopy did not work, well because it wasn't there I suppose. Can I leave those there?

Another question is, can I install teac drivers for my external floppydrive since prior before I found this forum and the drivers the floppy drive froze all the time in win98se? I have not tested the teac drivers yet.

I'll wait for answers and then probably go ahead installing I think, want it to go better this time so I do not have to reinstall again. I also put in a new battery and cmos battery since both were very dead.

Thanks in advance,
C.J.
C.J.

Previous

Return to Software