Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

Re: Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Postby C.J. » 2019-1-21 @ 09:16

Disabled the smartcard reader now and starts up faster.

So I disabled in BIOS what I do not need since I do not need wireless/modem. Also in windows 98se itself I disabled the smartcard reader, giving me boot problems slowing it down.

I'm still very happy most things work. I mean all the drivers are fine no conflicts, the laptop can shut down and does not tell me to shut it off. Battery indicator works finally.

Anyway what is not working right, my guess is the DOS sound in DOS itself still untested atm. But from what I read here, I need one file to correct this?

What else - the buttons on the laptop for volume controle, so vol up vol down and mute do nothing for me atm.
C.J.

Postby JiaoTongNan » 2019-2-04 @ 23:13

Sorry to replying so late...
For enabling the battery in the taskbar, you have to enable ACPI as written in the instructions.
For troubleshooting the sound:
-Did you install all the main system updates first? This is required or else Win98 will give an annoying popup about a missing file and the driver installation will be futile.

DOS Sound:
Try setblast.exe! Play around with DOS sound settings until you get sound! But make sure Win98 has sound first!!!
download/file.php?id=15196
JiaoTongNan

Postby C.J. » 2019-2-09 @ 13:45

Yeah battery indicator is working but instructions I read on here did not help me, did this though:
Using Registry Editor, add the "ACPIOption" (without quotation marks) string value with a value data of 1 to the following registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Detect"
If the value "ACPICheckDate" exists, DELETE this value, or the ACPI detection will not take place.
Go to Control Panel -> Add New Hardware and search for new hardware to detect the new ACPI hardware.

ACPICheckDate did exist and that was the reason why the battery indicator still did not work with me.

All the updates are installed for windows 98se, windows 98se sound is working alright. Already tested out a few games and the windows sounds are working as they should.

OK thanks a lot for that file I'll fiddle around with it in DOS. I guess put it in the main root? C:\ ?

Only have to make the mouse work better it's acting up being a bit sluggish in Win98se, installed some logitech drivers but still same and one other driver but nothing. Still have to try it in the docking station if the PS2 port work better for it with an adapter to USB. Though the laptop mouse cursor can move smoothly with the laptop touchpad, just when I connect a USB mouse the mouse is sluggish.. it's a standard optical mouse btw of logitech.. which is why I tried logitech drivers.
C.J.

Previous

Return to Software