VOGONS

Installing Windows 98SE on Dell Latitude D600

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 208, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone have Windows 98SE/ME drivers for the Intel Wireless 2100 and PCTEL 2304WT Modem? I bought a Dell Latitude D500 to give to a friend who wants a Windows 98 laptop. I was able to find the drivers for the rest of its hardware from this thread and the Intel Graphics Driver archive on VOGONS Vintage Driver Library (GPU is an Intel 855GM). Having the drivers for the Wifi card and modem aren't important, but would be nice to have for completion in case the person wants to use either function.

Reply 201 of 208, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've gotten Windows 98SE installed on the Dell Latitude D500 and have run into a bit of a roadblock. I've gotten every driver to install fine except for Audio. Once I got the Audio driver installed, I hear static when I should be hearing the Windows 98 startup sound. I once got it to work for a little bit, then it would do buzzing sounds. I've installed the Microsoft Security Update February 2004 CD. I can't install Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack 3.66 because whenever I try to, the INF installer stops responding. Someone mentioned having to install a Service Pack but unfortunately he didn't mention which one. This is odd because I didn't have this problem when I installed Windows 98SE on my D600 and both laptops have the same sound controller.

Help, please?

Reply 203 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-06-18, 03:02:

Does anyone have Windows 98SE/ME drivers for the Intel Wireless 2100 and PCTEL 2304WT Modem? I bought a Dell Latitude D500 to give to a friend who wants a Windows 98 laptop. I was able to find the drivers for the rest of its hardware from this thread and the Intel Graphics Driver archive on VOGONS Vintage Driver Library (GPU is an Intel 855GM). Having the drivers for the Wifi card and modem aren't important, but would be nice to have for completion in case the person wants to use either function.

Unfortunately, no. You're just going to have to purchase a semi-mini PCI wireless card that supports WPA2 and use odyssey client. There really is no workaround to getting Intel Wireless 2100 working because Dell never released Windows 9x drivers.

This is the right modem?
https://download.cnet.com/PCTEL-2304WT-V-92-M … 9_4-108337.html

You should provide the hardware IDs to make searching for these drivers easier!

Last edited by JiaoTongNan on 2022-11-13, 07:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Personal Blog

Reply 204 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vldouse wrote on 2022-10-06, 14:32:

Kcomproom2000,

Can you post a working link for D600 audio, I have everything else working but sound. I have spend a month looking.
Thanks

Here ya go!
https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018 … ver-bundle.html

This is the bundle I created in case any of the links died.

Personal Blog

Reply 205 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-06-29, 01:38:

I've gotten Windows 98SE installed on the Dell Latitude D500 and have run into a bit of a roadblock. I've gotten every driver to install fine except for Audio. Once I got the Audio driver installed, I hear static when I should be hearing the Windows 98 startup sound. I once got it to work for a little bit, then it would do buzzing sounds. I've installed the Microsoft Security Update February 2004 CD. I can't install Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack 3.66 because whenever I try to, the INF installer stops responding. Someone mentioned having to install a Service Pack but unfortunately he didn't mention which one. This is odd because I didn't have this problem when I installed Windows 98SE on my D600 and both laptops have the same sound controller.

Help, please?

The only potential suggestion is perhaps installing DirectX 9 if you haven't already. Otherwise, I might advise trying Windows ME. Whenever I installed Windows 98SE on my D600, Windows was constantly sluggish, crash-happy, and even slow to boot for no reason. I had far more success with Windows ME, plus Windows ME is easier to setup with pre-installed USB support.

Personal Blog

Reply 206 of 208, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have already bought a Dell Laptop Latitude C600 but the connector for the AC charger is not the usual, it is a 3 pins conector. I cannot find any AC charger and I would like to test the laptop , at least to know if it still works or not. Do you know any trick to connect the laptop to any PSU?. Thak you very much

Attachments

Reply 207 of 208, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jnemo2004 wrote on 2022-12-26, 17:56:

Hello, I have already bought a Dell Laptop Latitude C600 but the connector for the AC charger is not the usual, it is a 3 pins conector. I cannot find any AC charger and I would like to test the laptop , at least to know if it still works or not. Do you know any trick to connect the laptop to any PSU?. Thak you very much

The compatible AC adapter models for this generation of Dell laptops are PA-6 and PA-9. Should be able to find either one for sale online. Other than that, I don't have the pinout on hand right now.