VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 101, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All P4's don't have digital thermaldiodes inside (that's why CoreTemp can't show temperatures for them), so that 60C isn't... that accurate.
65nm P4 are really cool in general (best P4's there are, and rev. D0 is best 65nm Pentium 4).
With water cooling you may be able to get to 4GHz on Conroe (aka. Core 2 Extreme X6800).
They like low temps and 65nm is build like tank and 1,7V is nothing (with proper cooling).

C2D E4600 @ 1,7V for 3,4GHz and 40C on air ?
Why/How ?
You meant 1,37V ?

157143230295.png

Reply 25 of 101, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello.

54bbfa64a4393.png

It's not hard. Just requires patience 😀

There's plenty of things to help. I have the RAM Patch and the SATA patch from R. Loew. On top of that you really should install the unofficial 98SE service pack.

BTW: For network drivers you can just use the NDIS2 drivers still provided by all major manufacturers for legacy reasons.

My favourite ones are those with a genuine OPL3 in the silicon (i.e. YMF 7xx and a couple of aztech cards, maybe few others). I'm quite liking the fact that you can get a nice MIDI Softsynth alongside running DOS games.

Right now I've got it running on a Z97 platform without major issues 😉

First off, I have heard from friends that there exists somewhere on the internet a very very heavily modified windows 98 install. Said install will work all the way up to I7 cpu's, provide rudimentary multi-core support, and even support large ram up to 3.5 GB (32-Bit Limit) and all sorts of newer video cards.

I was going to say "that would be mine" (you can PM me for info) but rudimentary multi-core support... nope. It doesn't exist and it will never exist. The closest thing that exists is a multi core SDK where you have to write the software and include those libs to use multiple threads/CPUs/cores.

Reply 26 of 101, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oerg866 wrote:

and all sorts of newer video cards.

I was going to say "that would be mine" (you can PM me for info) but rudimentary multi-core support... nope. It doesn't exist and it will never exist. The closest thing that exists is a multi core SDK where you have to write the software and include those libs to use multiple threads/CPUs/cores.

Please elaborate, what cards exactly? GTX 400/500/600/700 series possible?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 27 of 101, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The "all sorts of newer video cards" is a really generous exaggeration. There simply has never been any code written for cards newer than the first generation of 7 series cards. 7xxx is all you can get unless you count the VBEMP9x which works on everything basically.

Anyone who says he's got low-level support for anything newer is lying his ass off 😉

Reply 28 of 101, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oerg866 wrote:

The "all sorts of newer video cards" is a really generous exaggeration. There simply has never been any code written for cards newer than the first generation of 7 series cards. 7xxx is all you can get unless you count the VBEMP9x which works on everything basically.

Anyone who says he's got low-level support for anything newer is lying his ass off 😉

Haha, who knows, I was expecting you to be a NV driver dev guy who happens to be into retro stuff! 😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 39 of 101, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, R.Loew is very strict about his software. He would probably find you, and tell you to remove the link to his software. To his credit, there are no free alternatives to his software, such as the 98SE SATA patch, or the RAM patch, or the NVIDIA 512MB+ VRAM patch.
I would pay for it too, if it was a symbolic $5 or less, not $20!