VOGONS

First post, by maxrate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I recently built a 486 computer. I used to work at a computer store in my teens and I had to build these all the time. Was hammering out about a dozen computers a week (part time job).

Reason for my writing; I am having trouble getting Doom (either the shareware or the registered full version) to work. The game starts up, I can use the menu for a few seconds, and it hangs/stops dead. I have to press the power button.

Sometimes, if I move the cursors up and down quick enough I can start the game play. It will work for a few minutes then hang.

Very odd. I have tried some many BIOS settings, different video adapters, different RAM, I'm not sure what is wrong.

Not sure what information I should be posting otherwise. I'd hate to see this 'new' 486 computer be trashed because of something silly. I can't even get that old Dominos Pizza game 'avoid the noid' to run - but other programs (including my old BBS software) run just great.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? Anything I could post here?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... it'd be nice if you'd post the full specs of your system.

VGA card problem maybe?

Try swapping/reseating RAM sticks.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 12, by maxrate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will do - I left the computer at my workshop. I'll bring it home tomorrow, so I can take some pictures and take an inventory of all the parts. I bought the mobo on eBay a couple of months ago. Basic machine with DOS 6.22 - was fun to put together!

Reply 3 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could it be a stability issue? Maybe try BIOS defaults or even reducing timings to slowest to see if it gets more stable.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 12, by maxrate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played with many BIOS settings - even put 'defaults' back in. I messed with the timings in the BIOS. I've changed video cards, I'd put different RAM in (even a single 8 MB stick). When I run basic DOS apps, all is well - no crashing it seems. I've made sure the computer is not on turbo mode too. I do not recall DOS ever crashing much at all back when these machines were current - it was pretty rare (based on my memory from a long time ago!) I've even disabled the external cache too.

Reply 6 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rekon your on the right track.
Strip the PC back to basics. Video, Ram, HDD, that's it
Boot into dos bypassing config.sys/autoexec.bat

See if Doom runs now, and then slowly start building the PC up from that point.

Reply 9 of 12, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using Doom+ Executable, and see if it works. https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/ … .2.zip/download
Maybe its a compatiblity issue.

Do other Games also have this Problems ? try Descent.

Have you tested your memory subsystem ? run memtest86 2.0

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 10 of 12, by Alex_C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Switch off "Turbo Switch Function" in the BIOS, if it exists. This cured a similar problem with Doom for me, in an Opti 495XLC board.

There's a Microsoft support notice about it causing hangs with some versions of Windows 9x, which gave me the clue. You'll lose the use of the turbo switch, though.

Reply 11 of 12, by maxrate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for extremely late reply everyone. I found the problem after all. The motherboard settings (jumpers) were incorrect. I am using a Intel DX4-100 overdrive chip, the settings were for another CPU. The table on how the jumpers should be set was a little misleading in terms of the way it was organized. Good lesson for me! Thankfully, nothing bad happened to the CPU. DOOM runs perfectly - no crashes. Thanks to everyone whom made suggestions.