VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

When I start the installer for dark forces 2 on my 95 system I get an error.

The error is
Error Message 112 "Setup Is Unable to Decompress and Copy All the Program Files"

System specs
166mhz pent none mmx 1mb l2
64mb ram
1.2gb had with about 900mb free
On board pci cl video card
external cd drive via printer parallel port
Win95b

What I tried so far.
Check that c:windows\temp and c:temp were not missing. Both were not missing.
Checked that the hdd was not full. Was not about 900mb free.
Coppyes the install dir form the disk to the hdd. That alowed the installer to run. But it would not install the game right.

I'll try to copy the inter cd on to the hdd and report back.
In the meantime dose anyone have any tips or ideas?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might pay to delete the contents of the two TEMP directories (C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and C:\TEMP) before attempting another installation.

Also, it is possible that your Disk 1 media is scratched or damaged. If you have another system available, try to install it on that system. If you get the same error, then that suggests a media problem.

It's also possible you have hard drive corruption, so a low-level scandisk for bad clusters might also be in order.

Reply 3 of 8, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But it would not install the game right.

What does it mean "not right"?
Does it install but doesn't work, asking for CD?

Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe), go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\lucasarts entertainment company\jediknight\1.0 and set the following values pointing to your CD-ROM drive (F: in my case):

Analyze Path	REG_SZ	F:\INSTALL\SysCheck.exe
CD Path REG_SZ F:
Source Dir REG_SZ F:\
Source Path REG_SZ F:

(I used the minimal install, if that matters)

Reply 4 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Doesn't copy everything over.
I manually installed the game, but it's bugging me about DX now. I'll get it working, just need to get dx sorted now.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
leileilol wrote:

That's by design. All cutscenes are played off the discs. All music are redbook tracks.

I guise the game is only cut screens and red book tracks 😵

would only install the exe and a few other files. it would skip the rest then bitch about missing files

Reply 8 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Azarien wrote:

Stop worrying about files, because it's normal for a game from this period not to copy all the files, only the necessary ones. The question is: does the game run?

No, bitches about missing file and will not run. Like I said I manually installed the game and it now works.