VOGONS

First post, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So recently I got a copy of Tomb Raider Gold from a Goodwill and decided to check it out (I already had the game on Steam but couldn't be buggered to get it to run right). I got the game installed and it runs nice on my old PC, with one issue: the audio is very biased towards the left side; it still plays on the right side but it's super quiet. It shouldn't be an issue with my hardware because the setup program plays the sound test in the center channel, and every game except for this one has the audio working correctly. Has anyone had this issue before and found a fix? I enjoy the game but playing it like this hurts my head 😵

Specs:

Pentium II 300MHz
Voodoo 3 3500 AGP
SoundBlaster 16 CT2290 (plays all sounds except CD audio; output of it is being sent to the line-in on my motherboard)
SE440BX-2 (has an on-board Yamaha chip, YMF744 I think. CD audio is connected to this)

The audio set up has nothing to do with this btw; I plugged my headphones directly into the speaker out on the SoundBlaster and the audio was still screwed up.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 1 of 4, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume you're running the game in MS-DOS?
What options are there in the setup program, concerning sound cards? Which one have you selected?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is correct behaviour, everything is fine. It's "per design" and has always been like this with the PC version.

If it really bugs you play with Mono Sound Blaster option. Makes little difference in this game 😀

For best sound and music do check out the PSX version.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 4, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

If it really bugs you play with Mono Sound Blaster option. Makes little difference in this game 😀

For best sound and music do check out the PSX version.

I might end up doing that; didn't notice the option for that before. Thanks! Also, I might at some point but I prefer playing the game on PC.

Beegle wrote:

I assume you're running the game in MS-DOS?
What options are there in the setup program, concerning sound cards? Which one have you selected?

I selected the SoundBlaster 16 since it's the only sound card that I have.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U