VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Wow, that reminds me of my childhood! :) In the 90s, I spent a whole evening when I tried to accomplish something like that. . M […]
Show full quote
95DosBox wrote:

I saw those researching for that 5MB 95 version but sites are long gone and there was mention of a Windows 3.1 that fit on a floppy..

Wow, that reminds me of my childhood! 😀 In the 90s, I spent a whole evening when I tried to accomplish something like that. .
My goal was to make the mouse tutorial program runable off the floppy disk. Can't remember why I wanted that, though.
I guess I liked it, because it was so incredible cinematic (I was impressed by the animation).
Also have a look at this article at winhistory.de : Windows 3.1 on a bootable floppy disk
I think another person also managed to get a more complete version to run off a 2.88MB floppy. Can't find the link right now, though.

Edit: If you like the idea of a whole OS fitting on a single floppy, have a look at MenuetOS or KolibriOS.
They are both written in assembler and got a few SDL programs ported over. DOSBox is one of them.

There was also a version of QNX which came on a bootable floppy.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 41 of 43, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Wow, that reminds me of my childhood! :) In the 90s, I spent a whole evening when I tried to accomplish something like that. . M […]
Show full quote
95DosBox wrote:

I saw those researching for that 5MB 95 version but sites are long gone and there was mention of a Windows 3.1 that fit on a floppy..

Wow, that reminds me of my childhood! 😀 In the 90s, I spent a whole evening when I tried to accomplish something like that. .
My goal was to make the mouse tutorial program runable off the floppy disk. Can't remember why I wanted that, though.
I guess I liked it, because it was so incredible cinematic (I was impressed by the animation).
Also have a look at this article at winhistory.de : Windows 3.1 on a bootable floppy disk
I think another person also managed to get a more complete version to run off a 2.88MB floppy. Can't find the link right now, though.

Edit: If you like the idea of a whole OS fitting on a single floppy, have a look at MenuetOS or KolibriOS.
They are both written in assembler and got a few SDL programs ported over. DOSBox is one of them.

Yeah but the fun part is getting an old OS that had some decent software support and running it. Currently tapping into that 98SE testing to find optimal settings. Later I will back track down to Windows 3.1 later to play around but may need to dig out a Win 3.1 graphics card for testing it. This one might be easier to load into the Ramdrive without hacking. So if space is a premium on the floppy disk then zipping it to decompress on the Ramdrive might work if tight on space. Then it will run without floppy lag.

Reply 42 of 43, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an old laptop that doesn't support sound in native DOS (sound chip is too new) but I've got sound in windows 95\98. I plan to use it as my old games machine. I wonder is there any DOS games that 100% won't work while launched under Windows 95\98? Trying to evaluate my losses 😀

Any workarounds for such games? Why they won't work? I thought old Windows are friendly for DOS stuff. Thx.

Reply 43 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vorob wrote on 2020-07-03, 14:21:

I wonder is there any DOS games that 100% won't work while launched under Windows 95\98? Trying to evaluate my losses 😀

There is M-Soft's Knowledge Articles on DOS games , as linked earlier in the thread.

Any workarounds for such games? Why they won't work? I thought old Windows are friendly for DOS stuff.

Honestly, there's not much at all to be gained by avoiding DOSBox on an up-to-date machine.