VOGONS

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Dual Boot Windows XP SP3 + Windows 98 Second Edition on my AMD Athlon XP computer. I want to install XP SP2. Can i install on the same partition as Windows XP SP3 without lossing Dual Boot?

Reply 2 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Err... You want to replace SP3 to SP2? Or something else?
WinNT4 and later detect Win9x and correctly add it to boot.ini.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just curious, why do you need SP2, as well ? Don't get me wrong, I still really like SP2:
It's quick, stable and very compatible - including with certain types of utilities.
But if your rig is powerful enough for SP3, then... why ?
Do you plan to install another type of XP (Home/Pro or other language) which comes with SP2 ?
Sorry, I'm just curious. You don't have to respond to my post, if you don't like to. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sandi1987 wrote:

I have Dual Boot Windows XP SP3 + Windows 98 Second Edition on my AMD Athlon XP computer. I want to install XP SP2. Can i install on the same partition as Windows XP SP3 without lossing Dual Boot?

Yes as long as you already installed Windows 98 First. If you install XP and then 98 second it will kill the XP boot loader.

You can also make a 3rd partition and install XP SP2 on it. XP differentiates between each partition with a separate drive letter. Vista and later do not and force the OS to appear as C:.

That is one reason why XP reigns supreme.

Also in the Boot.ini you will see it specifies a different partition drive number if you install it on the 3rd partition.