VOGONS

First post, by Tommaso72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an IBM Aptiva with Windows 95b on it will all the original software that originally came with it. It looks as though it is new from factory and never used much at all. What I want to do is somehow clone the hard drive so that if it goes bad, all I will have to do is put another cloned drive in and have it back to original again. The problem is I do not know of any good programs to do the job with Win95. I have many programs for XP and even a couple for 98se, but none for Win95. I recently bought an IDE to SD adapter so I was thinking of cloning the drive to an SD and then if something happens just using that to boot. May be it would be a good idea to use that instead so that I can disconnect the original Fireball hard drive to save it and prolong its life. The original drive if in fat16 if that helps at all. Would I have to make the SD card also fat16É I have not used this IDE to SD adapter yet so I am a little foggy on how if works.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I noticed in Win95 there is a back up program that might work, but I donèt know if it will do what I want. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Tommaso

Reply 2 of 15, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Norton Systemworks Pro 2000 has a version of Ghost that works well with Windows 95. I just did a clone myself.

You can find it on archive.org.

Reply 3 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most disk imaging software I've seen boots off a CD or floppy and works independently of the OS.

Just about anything will do, as long as you have another system handy to generate the boot CD. Macrium Reflect and Paragon or Linux-based stuff like PING would do.

Reply 4 of 15, by Tommaso72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick response! I will try norton ghost as I have a cd already burned. I didnèt realize most are self booting and can image a drive regardless of OS. I just wonder if the Fat16 will be a problem. I will report how it works, thanks!

Tommaso

Reply 5 of 15, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Older Norton Ghost DOS versions does not need self booting, being in a bootable MS-DOS/Free DOS floppy is all that's needed. It can handle FAT16, FAT32, NTFS and even HPFS (OS/2) partitions/disks easily.

There is also a much modern cloning software (Acronis Trueimage) available freely from Western Digital and Seagate. This will help you create a bootable CD and will handle also all the modern OSs.

http://www.intowindows.com/download-acronis-t … ital-hdd-users/

Please note that these free versions of Trueimage will work only for WD and Seagate disks respectively. Either the source or target disk is being Seagate/WD is ok though (including external USB ones).

There are also Linux based self bootable free software available of course (Clonezilla, etc.) but I have not much experience with them.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 15, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, not all versions of Ghost will work with Windows 95, and some require OSR2. The version that comes with Systemworks Pro 2000 worked with my OSR2 build. This version does NOT allow saving an image to a CD-R, however. I can do this with Ghost 2003 on my 98SE box, and it is super convenient because you can have a different CD-R for different hardware configs, each one self-booting.

Reply 7 of 15, by Tommaso72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Paragon Hard Disk Manager, you guys think that will work wellÉ I am going to tackle this problem tonight and am going to use the advice I got here to work with. Thanks, I will update tonight how it goes - I got my fingers crossed.

Tommaso

Reply 8 of 15, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been backing up all my retro systems with a simple IDE to USB adapter. Makes it pretty effortless and you can get one for like $5 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-SATA-To-USB-2-0-C … r-/122172885280

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 15, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of full-disk-image utilities won't much care what filesystem is on the drive, either. Some, like Ghost, can pull some shortcuts if they can read the FS, but even if they can't, a bit-for-bit image is still possible.

If Paragon Hard Disk Manager doesn't work, there are several bootable Linux CDs that would do the trick, too. (If all else fails, the dd and cat tools can image a disk, in the brute-force-and-bloody-massive-ignorance mode.)

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 10 of 15, by Tommaso72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I kind of cheaped out. I just added my SD card as a secondary hard drive and used Windows back up to make a back up of my C drive, a full back up not incremental. I think this will work, the only problem being if the drive ever dies, I will have to reinstall Win95 from CD (which I have) and then open the restore back up program and restore from my Sd card. I am almost sure this is the way it works. Anyone want to assure me of this as I have never tried this before. It seems logical this will work, but I am sure a clone of the drive would have been much easier as I wouldnèt have to first install Windows 95 from disk.

Tommaso

Reply 11 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should probably emphasize that the reason most imaging programs run from a boot disk is that problems can sometimes crop up when a program tries to copy a file that is currently in use.

If you want, you can in theory get away with just re-starting in MS-DOS mode and using XCOPY32 to copy your Windows (and probably Program Files) directories to another disk.

Have you not tried any of the suggestions offered so far? Were any of them unsatisfactory for some reason?

P.S. Have you not noticed that your keyboard appears to be stuck in a Canadian French layout?
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/01/editoria … ion-marks-nowe/

Reply 12 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

clonezilla works fine for Win9x with one caveat: I have not gotten it to work when restoring to a larger drive for the purpose of expanding the partition to increase drive space. This works fine for XP and higher and linux, but for whatever reason, on Win9x the drive becomes unbootable. However, if you just restore the image to a larger drive and keep the partition table the same size (leaving the extra drive space unpartitioned), then it works fine. Weird. I even tried restoring without expanding, then later using gparted to expand the partition size and it still fails to boot after resizing.

I bet if you found an old copy of PowerQuest DriveImage on ebay, it would work fine. Thinking about doing that myself.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

You can always expand the drive after using GParted.

Doesn't work. Read my last post again. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bah, I've been doing that a lot today.

FAT32 can be safely expanded, but GParted might be clobbering the MBR. I'd try growing the volume and restoring the boot record on a test drive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder