VOGONS

First post, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello classic computer fans,

I have a beautiful (and noisy!) HP Vectra RS/25C over here. I need a working Setup & Utilities disk to enter the BIOS and set the clock speed to full power (the graphics card driver only accepts a 386 or higher). After having formatted the hard drives it runs in slow mode (which obviously was not a smart thing to do 😊 ).

So far I have downloaded the .TD0 file from here: http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=61 Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't get that file extracted. I've exhausted all three options in Teledisk, I have tried different disks and floppy disks (incl. 720K 3.5''), but the only thing Teledisk does is copying the image file to another disk, without extracting any of its contents. I'm probably a noob or rookie, but can anyone tell what I do wrong? Or perhaps even better; can someone just send me the extracted files?

Your help is so much appreciated, because this is the only way I can get this rare classic fully working again!

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well that Teledisk image file is perfectly fine, I can't imagine why you weren't able to write a floppy out of it.
Since this disk is bootable though, here is an .IMA file that you should be more comfortable writing it with something like WinImage (on a 720KB 3.5", unless you modify it):

Filename
QERSSETP.zip
File size
256.62 KiB
Downloads
110 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you still just want the individual files, just say it. I believe a disk image is the way to go with this.

Reply 2 of 6, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you. I'll have another look into it soon. I guess the problem might be that I write the file to a 1.44 MB disk (using an USB disk drive on my modern pc) and then ask Teledisk to write the image from the 1.44 MB to a 720K disk?

Reply 3 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You mean you transfer the image file to some computer capable of running Teledisk using a HD disk? This isn't of course any problem, but I'm not sure I understood you correctly.
Anyway, you can even write it directly on your modern PC now that you have an .IMA file. Just make sure that your USB floppy drive writes DD disks, not all can.

Reply 4 of 6, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I use an older system (AST in my signature) to write image files, but the file first needs to be downloaded with my modern pc. Thereafter I need to transfer the file to a disk (with my USB disk drive) and then I can read it in my old AST. It's probably not the most efficiënt way but that's all I can do at the moment. I don't have any experience with Teledisk (apart from my recent attempts), all I know is WinImage but I use that very little, I don't have much experience with creating bootable disks, so I make a lot of mistakes 😊 Anyway, I'll try it again soon, I'll let you know. Thanks.