VOGONS

First post, by parzival

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble getting Screamer 2 to run on my retro rig and I was wondering if anyone had fix suggestions?

My computer is running Win 98 SE. Setup works under windows and my sound card (SB Pro emulation) is detected and functions properly. Running Screamer.pif causes the game to crash immediately. Running S2.bat results in a DOS/4GW error ("transfer stack overflow on interrupt 0Dh at 97:000074C8")

I tried booting my computer into DOS with expanded memory and setup fails to run (hangs at the graphical setup background). That said, S2.bat runs but the game has no sound.

Finally, I tried the voodoo2 3dfx patch (S2_3DFX.EXE) and that causes an immediate crash in windows and hangs on a black screen in DOS.

Hardware:
P3 1.1ghz
Abit BH6
512mb ram
Geforce 4 ti4600
STB Voodoo2 SLI
Aureal SQ2500 w/ Dreamblaster X2

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I remember correctly the setup is speed sensitive. CPU could be too fast.

You can disable caches in the BIOS, run setup and then enable them again.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by parzival

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

If I remember correctly the setup is speed sensitive. CPU could be too fast.

You can disable caches in the BIOS, run setup and then enable them again.

Hey Phil,
I tried disabling the caches and it still didn't work. I also just swapped in a P2 450mhz, which should work with a 1996 game, and it also didn't work.

But get this... I disabled my Vortex 2 and suddenly the game works. The 3dfx patch is still giving me an error that its unable to find the hardware, but I can now play the game.

Reply 3 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 The only game I documented on my website: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/screamer-2--bleifuss.html

😊

Reply 5 of 9, by parzival

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

🤣 The only game I documented on my website: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/screamer-2--bleifuss.html

😊

Hey Phil

There must be some differences between the GOG version and the official release because your process didn't work for me. 😢

Here are the things I've tried and how I eventually got it working:
- Installed your patch, but the game wouldn't launch.
- I read that Screamer Rally came with an official 3dfx patch for Screamer 2. I got an ISO for Screamer Rally and applied the official SC2 patch (attached to this thread if anyone wants it). Other card specific patches are included as well, such as Matrox Mystique, which you might find interesting. Anyway, the official patch wouldn't install because it couldn't find my 3dfx hardware. I switched my drivers from the Fast Voodoo drivers to the 3.0.2 reference drivers and the patch installed successfully. The new S2_3dfx executable looks the same as the executable on your website, except the patch also added a "HOTCGL" folder with some additional files. I still couldn't get the S2_3dfx file to work correctly - it hangs at a black screen.
- Then I heard there was a 3rd patch. Sure enough, I found a self-extracting "S2.exe" that is 1.3mb. Launching this executable gives a "3dfx chip not found" error.
- Finally, I tried creating a batch file to set the environmental parameters similar to a voodoo1. This also didn't work.

So I began to suspect it was my SLI setup. I tried removing one of my cards and then running the patched exe with the batch file. It worked! Obviously, I'm not going to break up my SLI setup every time I want to play old Glide games. I'm thinking it might be more advantageous to use a Voodoo 1 instead of dual Voodoo 2 cards, or build a system that is better tuned for older games.

Attachments

• Filename
    S2V2.txt
    File size
    277 Bytes
    Downloads
    283 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    SR Patch.zip
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Downloads
    306 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    s23dfx-archive.exe
    File size
    395.73 KiB
    Downloads
    458 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screamer 2 have 2 3dfx patches.
1) S2_3dfx.exe, 1031 kB. Uses glide2x.ovl. The only trouble with this patch - it not works with Voodoo2 (black screen freeze). V1 and V3 are ok (not sure about V4/V5). It is the known bug. More affected games are: Dreams to Reality, Prost Grand Prix, Tie Break Tennis.
2) s23dfx.exe, 1272 kB. Uses the static link. Works with V1 and V2. Needs environment variables for Voodoo2. Needs disabled SLI. And still can't detect the hardware if the CPU is too fast (similar to all others static linked 3dfx games).

P.S. Use "set SSTV2_SLIDETECT=0" to disable SLI by software.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2017-06-08, 17:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read here: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

I eventually got it working fine with sli (identical cards) on my k6-3+ setup.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 9, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
parzival wrote:

Finally, I tried the voodoo2 3dfx patch (S2_3DFX.EXE) and that causes an immediate crash in windows and hangs on a black screen in DOS.

I have a similar setup with a Voodoo2 and encountered the same problem with GOG Screamer2 and S2_3DFX. The black screen in DOS is actually that the game initializes the Voodoo2 card and so the card flips from pass-through mode to its own signal, but then the game crashes. It outputs an error message about missing files and dumps you back to the DOS prompt but you can't see it because the Voodoo2 is still flipped to outputting its own nothing.

I thought at first the missing files error message was a problem with S2_3DFX but a little digging revealed that the files it identified as missing were in fact missing. On a hunch it was something with the GOG version, I found an original boxed copy online... tried that, and it worked like a charm. I guess GOG removed some files that aren't required for typical game play?

Reply 9 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use the GOG release, it's actually the full installation CD.

Because this game seems to keep causing issues I did write-up on my website: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/screamer-2--bleifuss.html

It has all the files, instructions and screen captures as evidence.

AFAIK you must not load EMS memory.