VOGONS

First post, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Elianda and me spent a good amount of time individually trying to get this game to work on real hardware yesterday. The most painful part appears to be in the sound department.
Getting the basic game to work without sound/music is not a big deal and pretty straight forward, but getting sound to play is near impossible - unless you use emulators.

The SB16 setting never seems to work (while it does under Microsoft Virtual PC) and real SB16 cards working with jittery sound when selecting the SB/SBPro modes.
UltraSound always crashes with a DOS4GW error message, no matter if a classic or InterWave based GUS is used. IWSBOS slightly works with SB/SBpro modes with the same jittery sound as on a real SB16 - funnily enough, the crash doesn't happen in DOSBox and sound/music works great there.

Any idea what might cause this or even better how to get the game working on real hardware?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2 of 13, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's one of the things I tried actually. Didn't help either - in fact whenever the setup program would crash and throw an unsupported opcode with DOS4GW it would just freeze with DOS32A

[Z?]

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I remember why I buried that cd.... not only the tables are meh but GUS does indeed reboot or freeze my system. SBPRO2 works fine though ...
The game is so weird, like a monkey put together some tables with weird config and batch files and redirections and cr*p like that... back to the storage for it 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got to admit I really like the first table and the physics are quite good for a DOS pinball. But the setup ... true nightmare fuel. Makes me wonder how I managed to get the demo running back in the day.

[Z?]

Reply 5 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using an original release CD-ROM, or is this part of a compilation (Pinball Madness 4, for instance). Encore (publisher of the Pinball Madness series which many call shovelware) used to pull stunts like omitting music for some pinball titles on the Pinball Madness CD-ROMs, so it pays to be skeptical about whether or not you got the whole game.

Reply 6 of 13, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried the original CD-ROM release + the ripped crack by Hybrid (without the redbook audio).
As said ... they work perfectly in DOSBox, but fail really bad on real hardware.

[Z?]

Reply 7 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound in Absolute Pinball seems to work well on my current setup. Have tried with a Sound Blaster AWE64 and an Audio Excel AV310 (no sound in SB16 mode for the AV310) on an Abit LX6 with a C3 "Samuel 2" CPU. Running it in MS-DOS 7.1 and using UMBPCI to get enough conventional memory. Only thing I noticed are that that samples in the music cuts off too early somtimes.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 13, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thread necromancy!
Just gave this game another spin with a non-PnP GUS ... same issue.

If anyone can briefly describe what DOSBox does different ... or even better report that the game works on real hardware with a GUS - that would be largely appreciated.

[Z?]

Reply 9 of 13, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to see Martin Mathis' comments on this game: http://www.lastbandit.com/pinrevue.html?pbr_absolute

I had a particular installation problem with the MS-DOS version and the install instructions are contradictive in a few places. To avoid too much detail, the standard installation refused to find certain data files on the CD-ROM. I could start the menu but not get to any tables. Unless there is a unique problem with my CD-ROM reader or the drivers, it almost looks like they screwed up with relative path references inside an executable. I worked around it by installing the entire CD-ROM PINBALL subdir in the root of the install partition. It still requires the CD-ROM but at least it works though it uses 19MB instead of 8MB disk space. I'd like to hear from others about this oddity. Then, I dislike that regardless of the installation dir, an INI file is written to C: root and each time I start the game, some file is copied from the CD to the HD, duh.

Since you essentially use a mounting process in DOSBox, maybe that's why it works because you are more or less doing the same thing if you use Martin's approach. Might be worth a try.

Reply 10 of 13, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm roughly familiar with that issue but the game works fine without sound and with soundblaster cards. Problem seems to be related to the GUS implementation.

Ironically ... the crashes only seem to happen when I input the correct settings for the GUS ... if I enter invalid ones the game remains silent but works. Same for the soundtest ... usually it would crash with an illegal opcode in dos4gw.exe, if I enter bogus it claims to have found a 256k GUS but won't work because it requires 512k ram.

[Z?]

Reply 11 of 13, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Friend of mine figured it out ... only happens to GUS cards with >512k RAM. If you set 512k in DOSBox-X or use a real card with 512k it works.

[Z?]