VOGONS

windows 3.11 share drive problems

Topic actions

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i am trying share my Pentium pc c:\ drive on windows 3.11 to my windows 10 pc for backup purposes instead of using floppy disks or discs

my windows 10 pc sees the windows 3.11 drive but cant access it - windows 10 says can't find share path

windows 3.11 sees the same drives on networks and when I try access my windows 10 pc it say network is busy

what I am doing wrong

Reply 1 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not even sure that's possible. At the very least, you'll need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in Windows 10, but there's a whole bunch of security weirdness you might have to get into as well. Probably the LMCompatibilityLevel, as in https://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2015/08/ … ows-vista-home/ .

Reply 2 of 37, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Jorpho said, that's tricky (if possible at all). Apparently, Vista and up nolonger support the encryption Win 3.11 ueses.
This remind me of an older thread, which was about Win98 and Win7 : Windows 98 PC suddenly stopped appearing in the Network on my main (Windows 7) PC

As a workaround, you could try to use an XP machine as a "bridge" between generations.
Either by using a VM or a real machine.

Or you could also try to install another WfW 3.11 in a VM on your host PC and let it talk directly to you network.
f you have shares enabled for that VM, you can mount a local directory on your Win10 PC.

AFAIK, Virtual PC 2007 does allow that.
You'll then perhaps need the VM additions from 2004 version (DOS Virtual Machine Additions.VFD)

Edit: You can also try VMware Player for that if you're attempting to run Win9x or XP. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 37, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i did manage to see and access a shared folder on my xp machine but it starts copying and freezes the windows 3.11 machine

UPDATE

the virtual machine route work mixed with using an xp machine (or any other device that modern windows can access) to copy from real windows 3.11 over network

the virtual machine with windows 3.11 installed and using bridged connection in lan settings and network drivers and tc/ip installed and it see everything on your real network

I couldn't get a shared folder in VMware to work in virtual 3.11, it is enabled in settings but not appearing in win 3.11 (unless I am missing something)

But Would prefer to have a direct network connection from my old Pentium windows 3.11 to modern window 10 machine but this is the a good workaround

Reply 4 of 37, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:

i did manage to see and access a shared folder on my xp machine but it starts copying and freezes the windows 3.11 machine

Sorry, no idea what's wrong there. 🙁 I have no problem connecting a XP VM and a WfW VM right now.
It also worked with real hardware (386 PC w/ 3COM NIC) the last time I tried..

That's what the winhistory page says :
"What makes Windows for workgroups easy to access the Internet (the available browsers are more than obsolete) and can also share files with newer versions of Windows. However, up to Windows XP in both directions, starting Windows Vista the security levels are too high and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 can only hold files."

Link: Windows for workgroups (winhistory, English translation)

Robhalfordfan wrote:

I couldn't get a shared folder in VMware to work in virtual 3.11, it is enabled in settings but not appearing in win 3.11 (unless I am missing something)

Hmm.. In Virtual PC, there's no special support for Windows 3.1 (seamless mouse aside) so the DOS folder sharing utility is required.
Perhap's it's similar in VMware (haven't tried yet).

Robhalfordfan wrote:

But Would prefer to have a direct network connection from my old Pentium windows 3.11 to modern window 10 machine but this is the a good workaround

I see, that's understandable. Perhaps this page can help you to solve one of the problems, dunno :
http://dan.van.derveer.com/twenty/2014/03/11/ … m-windows-3-11/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 37, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had no problems sharing folders in WFW 3.11 and accessing them from Windows 7, just not the other way around. In order for this to work properly both your Windows 10 and Windows 3.11 machines must be in the same IP range, i.e. 192.168.x.x. I know for certain that Virtualbox defaults to using NAT when setting up a network, which puts your virtual machine in a different network, i.e. 10.50.x.x. You'll be able to see the virtual machine from Network Neighborhood, but you won't be able to access the folder because Windows 10 thinks your Win 3.11 machine is in a different network.

Here's how you can tell:

From the command prompt in Windows 10, type IPCONFIG
Make note of your wireless IP, or NIC IP address and default gateway.

From the command prompt in Windows 3.11, type IPCONFIG
Again, make note of the IP address and default gateway.

If the first two octets don't match, i.e. 192.168.x.x and 10.50.x.x, they're not in the same network, and you won't be able to access the shared folder.

[EDIT]

These IP schemes I've mentioned may differ from yours, and are only for example purposes.

Reply 7 of 37, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have TCP32 installed in WfW, right? You're not trying to mess around with NetBEUI?

I can attest that with Linux and the other way around, it's extremely simple. On the Linux machine just run:

net usershare add shared /home/<user>/shared/ shared Everyone:F guest_ok=y

Then assign a drive letter in Windows File Manager and you're in business. You can even sync the time from Windows using

net time \\linuxpc /set

Since you're working with VMs, just grab a Ubuntu Live ISO and try it out.

If you don't want to have a VM or PC running Linux all the time, you could get a Raspberry Pi to use as a Samba server. The Pi could also act as a wifi gateway for your DOS box.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 9 of 37, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you're mixing something up. Samba is a server that speaks the SMB protocol and allows you to create Windows shares on a Linux machine. It works flawlessly with WfW 3.11.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 10 of 37, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosgamer wrote:

Since you're working with VMs, just grab a Ubuntu Live ISO and try it out.

If you don't want to have a VM or PC running Linux all the time, you could get a Raspberry Pi to use as a Samba server. The Pi could also act as a wifi gateway for your DOS box.

i am using real hardware and only using vm as workaround to transfer files on and off my real penitum 1 machine (backup purposes)

and like to to have a direct lan connection from my p1 win 3.11 machine to to my win 10 machine

Reply 13 of 37, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brickpad wrote:
I've had no problems sharing folders in WFW 3.11 and accessing them from Windows 7, just not the other way around. In order for […]
Show full quote

I've had no problems sharing folders in WFW 3.11 and accessing them from Windows 7, just not the other way around. In order for this to work properly both your Windows 10 and Windows 3.11 machines must be in the same IP range, i.e. 192.168.x.x. I know for certain that Virtualbox defaults to using NAT when setting up a network, which puts your virtual machine in a different network, i.e. 10.50.x.x. You'll be able to see the virtual machine from Network Neighborhood, but you won't be able to access the folder because Windows 10 thinks your Win 3.11 machine is in a different network.

Here's how you can tell:

From the command prompt in Windows 10, type IPCONFIG
Make note of your wireless IP, or NIC IP address and default gateway.

From the command prompt in Windows 3.11, type IPCONFIG
Again, make note of the IP address and default gateway.

If the first two octets don't match, i.e. 192.168.x.x and 10.50.x.x, they're not in the same network, and you won't be able to access the shared folder.

[EDIT]

These IP schemes I've mentioned may differ from yours, and are only for example purposes.

This is similar to my experience. I had no problem reaching to a shared folder in a Windows 3.11 or Windows 9x shared folder but not otherwise. But I also am quite sure that not only first two octecs, but first three should be same according to my experience : like 192.168.1. 10 and 192.168.1.15. Being in the same "workgroup" might also help (mine are in the same workgroup but I'm not sure what happens if they were not).

Just as a precaution for eliminating common issues: Install the latest 32bit TCP IP package for Windows 3.11 (I don't remember the version number, sorry). Do not forget configuring your Windows 3.11 machine as a DHCP client and point it to correct addresses (gateway and DNS - should be your router's IP address). Run ipconfig in your Windows 3.11 machine from your modern pc (or your modern pc from your windows 3.11 machine) to be sure that it receives an IP address from you router. Check the correctness of the configuration by pinging your Windows 3.11 machine (if you are getting errors with PING, you are doing something wrong in configuration).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 14 of 37, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok try that and set the gateway and dns to my router and try pinging from my win 3.11 to the router and my windows 10 pc and it got replys

and in windows 10 pc and I pinged to my win 3.11 machine and got replys

when go to map the win 3.11 drive on my win 10 pc I get "the network path was not found" and when run the windows network diagnostics I get "your dns server might be unavailable"

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2017-02-27, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:

what is samba

Samba specifically is an open-source version of SMB, the Windows networking protocol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

dosgamer wrote:

I think you're mixing something up. Samba is a server that speaks the SMB protocol and allows you to create Windows shares on a Linux machine. It works flawlessly with WfW 3.11.

As per the above link, starting with Windows 2000, SMB runs on TCP port 445. WfW won't be able to use that at all and requires NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Reply 17 of 37, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

As per the above link, starting with Windows 2000, SMB runs on TCP port 445. WfW won't be able to use that at all and requires NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Oh my god, I didn't know that ... good thing my WfW 3.11 didn't read that link and continues to work flawlessly with Samba over TCP/IP without any hassle 😁

sambawfw311.jpg

Reply 18 of 37, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could write up more on this later on but I DO do this almost daily between my 486 and my Windows 10 machine - with the 486 running DOS/Win311FW/Win95 in most cases.....

REQUIREMENTS

- Send unencrypted Passwords to 3rd party SMB Servers set to enabled - reason for this setting is because the older Windows versions (Pre-2000 at least) don't have this feature and therefore just get gibberish when you try to login to a 3rd party SMB Server (aka, the 486)

- It really helps or may even be required to join your modern PC to the same workgroup as the Windows 3.11 for workgroups PC (that's how WI set it up, I don't need a domain network at home).

- You will want to use TCP/IP on your Windows 3.11 PC - you can do this using TCPIP32B.EXE (which used to be on the defunct Microsoft BBS), I often only have that protocol on my vintage PC's now as I never use any other protocols except in direct application support of them (ie network games of things like Doom or whatever from DOS).

I have run into problems with limited access shares - so I just set full access with no password for everything. I know, not secure, but like someone whose smart is going to keep anything they want to protect on their 486 system or keep it on the network full time.

(ACCESS)
WIN+R
//MACHINENAME
USERNAME
PASSWORD
Should see the shares

If not, there's probably something not set. If you are concerned about Security and want to transfer files, you can use Mike Brutmans mTCP Suite and a FTP Client - that's how I admin my 8088's filesystem from my Windows 10 machine (using FileZilla - though sometimes I use the 486 for that task through WS_FTP LE).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 19 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:

ok so basically samba is useless in win 3.11

Did I say that..?

I said in my first post that you need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If you have not done that yet then it might explain why you are getting nowhere.
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com … in10-NAS-Access

dosgamer wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Oh my god, I didn't know that ... good thing my WfW 3.11 didn't read that link and continues to work flawlessly with Samba over TCP/IP without any hassle 😁

Very good, you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Clearly you did not consider that a hassle. 😜