VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have around hundred floppies. Most of them are probably bad. Each time I record an image on them, there is a error. Occasionally I can found few good ones, that are able to keep data.
Is there a dedicated software in MS-Dos, that checks entire 3.5 floppy? Or I should use scandisk?

What tools are for that in Windows 7? I have USB floppy.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there some problem with Scandisk? The alternative would be Chkdsk, specifically with the /r switch. Offhand I'm not sure if that still works in Windows 7 for checking floppies.

There are various other programs such as Norton Disk Doctor, but offhand I cannot recall any particular freeware alternative that would be significantly better than Scandisk.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:

*Urks* Sorry, that's not so good. Drives from that era were disposable items (maybe excluding the early models from the late 90s; ie, these meant for the original iMac).
They do work, but are about as reliable as the last batch of 3.5" floppies ever made.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:

Are you using a USB-hub or is it directly connected to a USB port? I always get write errors with WinImage if I try to use a hub. With direct connection I have written hundreds of images to disk and rarely get any problems.

Reply 5 of 5, by manuelink64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have suspicions about a disk, try the format a: /u command. the bad sectors are marked to never be used again.

[Unisys CWP] [CPU] AMD-X5-133ADZ [RAM] 64 MB (4x36) FPM [HDD] Seagate 8.4GB [Audio] SB16 SCSI 2 (CT1770) [Video] ATI Mach64VT2 [OS] Windows 95 OSR2.5