VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93J94Vu3GlM

I have many machines vintages, but they all crash running this demo realtime... I did test from p1 to p4. I cannot get this demo to run from starting to ending, it always crash halfway! I listen to it with a gus classic or a gus pnp. This demo is 1994 and I have era acurate computers : around p1-233, msdos, freedos, win98...

I ran it with a gus classis 3.73 ppro gxpro at 200mhz and a plenty of other computers, same result : screen turn black after bill gate goo... music continue to play but loop and never end.
I ran it with a gus classis 3.73 ppro gxpro downclocked at 8mhz, took ages to load ! render choopy too, still yet impressive ! : demo run through some effects or transition are choppy as hell while other parts are ultra fluid! Ultra slow at the teacup and duck part, then run the outtro perfectly. So my guess is that:

while released in 1994, this demo need a slower computer to run. It might crash on a p1-166 or faster.

Reply 1 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't remember whether it was this demo or another one, but if you copy the demo into a sub directory (folder) that had too many "levels", it wouldn't run or just freeze up.

Try running the demo from a folder that is just one "level" under your root (e.g. C:\Verses\verses.exe)
The demo should run fine on a fast 486 or low end Pentium 1.

Reply 2 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I never had issues running this on real hardware, but the thing is, most likely the fastest PC I've ever run this has been a Pentium 166 MHz, or 486DX4 100 MHz.

(EMF was Finnish demo group btw)

Reply 3 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For 1994, 'era-accurate' would be a 486DX2-66 VLB.
Pentiums were 'around' since 1993, but they were stupid-expensive and only available in servers. Not to mention you only had the 60 and 66 MHz models, the 233 MHz one was released years later.
The Pentium-era started around 1996 for 'regular' users (gamers, demosceners and such).
I would say that in the demoscene, it was roughly like this:
pre-1990: 8088/slow 286.
1990-1992: 286/386SX/386DX at 16 to 25 MHz
1992-1994: 486DX-33 to DX2-66.
1994-1996: 486DX2-66 VLB
1996-...: Pentium 90+

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 4 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might want to get the 1995 re-release:

Shortly after releasing the original version we discovered that the demo will hang if the machine is too fast, such as a […]
Show full quote

Shortly after releasing the original version we discovered that
the demo will hang if the machine is too fast, such as a P90. The
bug was trivial, but it never occurred during our beta testing, as
we had no access to a computer faster than a 486/66 back then. The
bug is now fixed.

Reply 5 of 9, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK final version works fine on P200MMX+SB16 (didn't have gus though), just in case uncheck read-only file attribute on EXE file and get enough RAM.

Also hangups can be caused by videocard hardware\BIOS issues, but I don't remember that demo changes videomode too often (except for IFS fractal part which is running at 640x480 and some others which use mode-x)

--wbcbz7

Reply 6 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I captured Verses from a Ti486DLC-40 / IIT4C87-40 / TSENG ET4000 / Gravis Ultrasound on a SiS Rabbit.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow ... must havent realised a fixed version exist. It's been a while since I watched that demo realtime on era acurate computers. Thanks alot!!!

Reply 9 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wbc wrote:

but I don't remember that demo changes videomode too often (except for IFS fractal part which is running at 640x480 and some others which use mode-x)

since my 58" toshiba vga lcd screen make a primary objective to inform me of every video mode change, I can assure you this demo change video mode often!