VOGONS

First post, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Happy Friday everyone... ahh, we made it 🤣

Not sure if this should go in the Windows secton, or the Video card section.. feel free to move it where it belongs.

Anyhow, I just recently put together a fresh Windows 98' gaming machine (my first ever retro rig 😀 ). One of my main reasons for building this was to play the ATI enhanced version of Wipeout. So, along with the game, I went ahead and purchased an ATI 3D Rage Pro 8MB AGP card, which the game requires in order to run.

So after installing nothing but the chipset drivers, direct x, and latest legacy video drivers from ATI's website...The first thing I did was install Wipeout.

And of course, it fails to launch. The setup for the game DOES detect my card, which is good. I tried installing this game on another system WITHOUT the Rage card, and it wouldn't even install, so we're half way there at least.

When I try to run it, it throws an error "Wipeout Error - 5000: Could not initialize CIF" (screenshot included).

I know CIF is the 3D Rage API, so I'm thinking it's a driver or .dll issue. I've downloaded a .zip file from this website containing EVERY single version of CIF, but I'm not sure where to place it. Is there a specific driver version anyone can recommend?

I also found this website, which goes CRAZY In-depth about the ATI CIF API. https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_3D_CIF/

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! 😦

Attachments

• ATIWipeout.jpg
    Filename
    ATIWipeout.jpg
    File size
    586.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Retromangia on 2017-04-01, 22:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromangia wrote:

latest legacy video drivers from ATI's website...

There's your problem.

Gona's website (https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_3D_CIF/ ) says to use older drivers, and shows you a list of what works for Tomb Raider and MechWarrior 2, I expect Wipeout is the same.

Also, unless you're planning on running Wipeout (ATI 3D Rage version) on Windows 7 with a 3D Rage CIF -> OpenGL wrapper, you've posted to the wrong forum, so I've taken the liberty of moving it to where it belongs: Marvin -> Software.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromangia wrote:

Thanks Stiletto. If anyone could shed some more detail on this, I would really appreciate that. You basically told me what I already knew 😁

No, you said you're running the latest video drivers, ie. "wme-j5-30-1-b02.exe" - which Gona tested and said "it didn't work"

REGARDLESS of the big package of CIF DLL's you found... Gona is saying DON'T RUN THE LATEST VIDEO DRIVERS. Use the packages he's tested.

The NEWEST he tested that worked was driver package "SP10912.EXE" (the filename is clickable) but there are older ones too. NEWER than that, he tested, and it didn't work in either Tomb Raider or MechWarrior 2.

You may not be able to mix the latest video driver with a CIF DLL and expect it to work. Switch to something Gona tested before mixing and matching files around. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 11, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stiletto... you are the man!.. listening to the game playing in the background as I type this 😁

After what you said, I was able figure out Gona's web of ATI madness 🤣. Dude, that guy is like a mad scientist, and I owe him one for all his hard work. Without that map I'd be totally in the dark. Is he on these forums?

Most of the links for the drivers are actually broken, but thankfully he noted the exact installer name for each driver... And after some googling was able to find everything I needed.

So let's just say Wipeout doesnt like anything new. I went back 1 by 1, working my way backwards from latest driver to oldest driver.

The Latest driver that Wipeout will play nice with is based on DirectX 2. The later dx5 & dx6 drivers do not work for Wipeout.

The latest driver that's compatible with Wipeout is Driver version 4.10.2499 (SW v5.25-c9y). These are actually drivers from a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop. The only small nag is Windows device manager recognizes the card as the Rage LT Pro, instead of the actual Rage 3D Pro. I don't think that's big deal is it?. DXDiag still shows it with 8mb Ram.

If anyone needs it, feel free to PM for the correct driver. Glad to share this info, I'm hoping someone will find my information useful one day 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20170401_134526.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170401_134526.jpg
    File size
    589.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ That's cool. You should upload the working driver combination to VOGON Drivers.

BTW, how does this version of Wipeout compare to the PSX version? Does it have analogue steering, for example? And the music? Back in the day, I used a namco neGcon analogue pad, and it worked great.

Reply 7 of 11, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know it's funny you say that. After I got it working on my PC, I went and loaded up the PS1 version. Only thing is, it was using the epsxe emulator on my Windows 10 machine... Perhaps down the road I'll do a proper side by side comparison of both versions

Reply 8 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Retromangia wrote:

After what you said, I was able figure out Gona's web of ATI madness 🤣. Dude, that guy is like a mad scientist, and I owe him one for all his hard work. Without that map I'd be totally in the dark. Is he on these forums?

Yes. Not as active as he used to be, but he's here:
Gona

BTW: If you ever want to play Wipeout ATI 3D Rage version on a modern PC, there is a 3D Rage CIF wrapper called glRage: https://github.com/ata4/glrage
It's still not all that well known.

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 11, by Retromangia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Stiletto, I'll make sure to thank him. I've seen that wrapper before, but there's very little instructions on how to set it up. I would love to give it a try, but not sure how to put it all together. Perhaps a question for Gona.

thanks again,
Retro

Reply 10 of 11, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old post, but still. You can use the latest modified J5.30.1-B02 driver. It works, i have it.

j5.30.1-3dcif2 if no ragexl card, fastest should be 5.40.1-bo2f-3dcif, difference is small, latest j5.30.1 driver probably still the best.
https://www.upload.ee/files/12336721/rage-3dcif.zip.html
Re: Proprietary 3D API's

Edit, Please read!
J series works only with multiple and different driver installations 5.40x + j series or macxw4+j series, something like that, i just did not test it with clean installation, all new installations with just j series driver, it does not work, because of the mix of the driver files, Thank you Gona.

This is beta for XL, but tested with clean install! Do not look readme.txt, it is old one 😀
Updated direct3d to 4033, opengl is 1068 (quake2 runs faster), 3dcif works, 3dmark99 works now with directx6.1 or later. Nfs5 works now ok, if directx7 installed.
https://www.upload.ee/files/12384381/MACXW4_4 … L_Beta.zip.html

Last edited by marxveix on 2020-10-13, 07:57. Edited 1 time in total.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
marxveix wrote on 2020-09-30, 18:38:
Old post, but still. You can use the latest modified J5.30.1-B02 driver. It works, i have it. […]
Show full quote

Old post, but still. You can use the latest modified J5.30.1-B02 driver. It works, i have it.

j5.30.1-3dcif2 if no ragexl card, fastest should be 5.40.1-bo2f-3dcif, difference is small, latest j5.30.1 driver probably still the best.
https://www.upload.ee/files/12336721/rage-3dcif.zip.html
Re: Proprietary 3D API's

Awesome, thanks for correcting me, and for all your hard work on this so far! 😀

Stiletto