VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on my Pentium. However, every time it starts loading MS-DOS, it states, "Bad or missing Command Interpreter. Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (e.g, C:\COMMAND.COM". Is this just from where I found the boot disk, how I got it onto floppy, or is it my computer? How can I fix this; it's so frustrating! RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

(I hope this is the right place to put it; I already moved it once.)

Reply 1 of 39, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Command.com is the command line program, essentially the DOS "front end". Sounds like your MS-DOS 6.22 was not installed correctly, or the install disks are incomplete. There should literally be a file called "command.com" in one of the install disks for MS-DOS.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 2 of 39, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be at C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM by default. The installation process should've created a CONFIG.SYS file at C:\ root defining that path for the SHELL variable. One or the other is missing or corrupt, or something.

Make sure you're actually booting from the right drive. (Boot order is configured in BIOS.)

A boot floppy will have the equivalent files at A:\ root.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

Command.com is the command line program, essentially the DOS "front end". Sounds like your MS-DOS 6.22 was not installed correctly, or the install disks are incomplete. There should literally be a file called "command.com" in one of the install disks for MS-DOS.

I looks like my disk image is fine; "command.COM" is 54,645 bytes, according to WinImage. Maybe it's the process of unpacking onto the disk?

firage wrote:

It should be at C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM by default. The installation process should've created a CONFIG.SYS file at C:\ root defining that path for the SHELL variable. One or the other is missing or corrupt, or something.

Make sure you're actually booting from the right drive. (Boot order is configured in BIOS.)

A boot floppy will have the equivalent files at A:\ root.

A:\DOS\COMMAND.COM does nothing. The error just pulls up again.

Reply 4 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've discovered something. When I look into the files (from WinWorldPC), COMMAND.COM is there, but after getting those images onto disk (by WinImage and RawWrite), COMMAND.COM and some other files don't show up when I look on the disk. So is it a writing issue?

Reply 6 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Dunno we use original media here not "abandonware". hint hint.

A real copy of 6.22 is $55. My computer, monitor, soundcard, and keyboard were about $20 less than that. I'm cheap, ok? 😢

Reply 7 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
11justsomekid wrote:

COMMAND.COM and some other files don't show up when I look on the disk. So is it a writing issue?

What OS are you using to check which files are there?
If you haven't set your file manager to show hidden files, then COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and maybe some other files will appear to be missing. They're there, just hidden/system flagged.

COMMAND.COM should be in the root directory, i.e. C:\ or A:\ etc. It's as relevant whether it's in C:\DOS as it is whether it's in any other directory other than root (you can change this behavior in CONFIG.SYS but why would you want to?).

Somehow MS-DOS 6.22 has been installed wrong. Try booting from a startup disk and running the command "SYS A: C:". You may have to run this from C:\DOS or wherever the SYS.COM program is located.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 39, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My COMMAND.COM has always been directly in C:\>, and other DOS commands in C:\DOS> on multiple versions of DOS I tried.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 9 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
What OS are you using to check which files are there? If you haven't set your file manager to show hidden files, then COMMAND.CO […]
Show full quote
11justsomekid wrote:

COMMAND.COM and some other files don't show up when I look on the disk. So is it a writing issue?

What OS are you using to check which files are there?
If you haven't set your file manager to show hidden files, then COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and maybe some other files will appear to be missing. They're there, just hidden/system flagged.

COMMAND.COM should be in the root directory, i.e. C:\ or A:\ etc. It's as relevant whether it's in C:\DOS as it is whether it's in any other directory other than root (you can change this behavior in CONFIG.SYS but why would you want to?).

Somehow MS-DOS 6.22 has been installed wrong. Try booting from a startup disk and running the command "SYS A: C:". You may have to run this from C:\DOS or wherever the SYS.COM program is located.

I would try using SYS, but it won't even bring up a prompt. Every time it boots, it just gives the error. No matter what I type, it brings the error up again.

Reply 10 of 39, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Beegle wrote:

My COMMAND.COM has always been directly in C:\>, and other DOS commands in C:\DOS> on multiple versions of DOS I tried.

It's definitely under C:\DOS\ in my 6.22 installations. It would be at the root in the case of floppies or drives that were prepared with the SYS command.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 11 of 39, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What type and size of hard disk are you installing to?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
11justsomekid wrote:

I would try using SYS, but it won't even bring up a prompt. Every time it boots, it just gives the error. No matter what I type, it brings the error up again.

Oh, so you haven't even gotten started installing yet! Your boot disk won't even boot, is that what you're saying?

Could be you got some bad images. Abandonware sites aren't necessarily reliable.

Reply 13 of 39, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:
Beegle wrote:

It's definitely under C:\DOS\ in my 6.22 installations. It would be at the root in the case of floppies or drives that were prepared with the SYS command.

That is weird. I'm using 6.22 too, and it installs as I said everytime by default. I don't use the SYS command or move files afterwards.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 14 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have never, ever in all my life seen a DOS installation put COMMAND.COM in the DOS directory.

It's always in the root.

Reply 15 of 39, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it certainly has been a couple of years now since I last ran the installation from the floppies; I don't move anything, but admittedly I can't rule out a step in the installation process couldn't have affected the path. I'd have to check. I'll take your word that I'm mistaken on the most common default path. The other way seems common, but the line "SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM" does appear a lot around the web and 6.22 literature. I think earlier versions would've been likely to differ on this point, too, before possible changes for Windows compatibility.

Not that any of this is actually relevant to the original issue, just trivia really.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 17 of 39, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

COMMAND.COM is in both the root and DOS directories on my 486. That said, my memory says that COMMAND.COM has always lived in root. I've seen it so many times after running a directory listing, it would look out of place if it weren't there. It's probably always been in C:\DOS too, I just don't study its directory listing as often, so I couldn't swear to it without looking.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 39, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The file does in fact appear to install in both locations, you're absolutely right. That mystery's solved, then. 🤣 (Missed Windows hides the root copy from me but not the other, earlier. 😊) Suppose the root one is good to always have there as backup in case everything goes wrong with CONFIG.SYS.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 19 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, it seems I haven't fully searched through my DOS directory before 😀

But, is there a situation in which the SHELL variable would be set to the COMMAND.COM in DOS rather than in root?