VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jim Cooper's Using MS-DOS 6.22 gives the following bit of interest, with some reasoning:

The DOS Setup program adds the following command to the default CONFIG.SYS file:
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\ /P

This configuration command tells DOS that COMMAND.COM is the command interpreter and that it is located in the \DOS directory on the C drive. The /P switch causes the command interpreter to be loaded permanently, not temporarily, in memory.

The preceding SHELL command enables you to place a copy of COMMAND.COM in C:\DOS and delete the copy in the root directory. This practice helps you maintain a clean root directory and protects COMMAND.COM from being replaced by an older version that might be on a floppy disk you are copying. If you accidentally copy the disk to the root directory, you don't overwrite the current version of COMMAND.COM.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 21 of 39, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know winworld "abandonware" is not the way to go, but you gotta work with what you've got. Are you using a USB floppy drive? Sometimes that causes issues with winimage. I used the images from there successfully on my 486.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 22 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xplus93 wrote:

I know winworld "abandonware" is not the way to go, but you gotta work with what you've got. Are you using a USB floppy drive? Sometimes that causes issues with winimage. I used the images from there successfully on my 486.

Yeah, a Sony USB drive. Does RawWriter work usually?

Reply 23 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USB floppy drives are a different animal completely and won't work with FDD imaging utils well at all. Just directly copy files off directly instead if that's the case

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

USB floppy drives are a different animal completely and won't work with FDD imaging utils well at all. Just directly copy files off directly instead if that's the case

So I just extract the image then drag and drop those files onto the disk?

Reply 25 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If an imaging utility won't work, I'm not sure how you can make a bootable MS-DOS 6.22 floppy with your USB floppy drive. Extracting the files from the image and copying them to the disk will certainly not suffice.

Reply 26 of 39, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not create a Win9x, 2k, or XP boot floppy directly from Windows using the Windows floppy format utility, boot the PC onto which you want to install MS-DOS with that (it should create a RAM drive with all required utilities), and do a base format of the hard disk and create a bootable FAT16 partition on it? Then make some non-bootable floppies that contain MS-DOS, copy their contents to your freshly formatted hard disk, and install directly from the hard disk. Wouldn't that work?

Reply 27 of 39, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Why not create a Win9x, 2k, or XP boot floppy directly from Windows using the Windows floppy format utility, boot the PC onto which you want to install MS-DOS with that (it should create a RAM drive with all required utilities), and do a base format of the hard disk and create a bootable FAT16 partition on it? Then make some non-bootable floppies that contain MS-DOS, copy their contents to your freshly formatted hard disk, and install directly from the hard disk. Wouldn't that work?

IIRC, low level access to create a boot sector isn't possible on USB floppy drives.

Reply 28 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

There should be an even easier solution here. Consider the first post:

Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on my Pentium. However, every time it starts loading MS-DOS, it states, "Bad or missing Command Interpreter. Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (e.g, C:\COMMAND.COM"

As long as command.com is on the floppy, specifying "A:\COMMAND.COM" ought to get the computer into a state where MS-DOS can be installed.

Reply 29 of 39, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
There should be an even easier solution here. Consider the first post: […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on my Pentium. However, every time it starts loading MS-DOS, it states, "Bad or missing Command Interpreter. Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (e.g, C:\COMMAND.COM"

As long as command.com is on the floppy, specifying "A:\COMMAND.COM" ought to get the computer into a state where MS-DOS can be installed.

Oh yeah, looks like boot sector is there, so maybe just copy files from image onto the disk without formatting.

Reply 30 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
There should be an even easier solution here. Consider the first post: […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:

Oh yeah, looks like boot sector is there, so maybe just copy files from image onto the disk without formatting.

So I should get a new disk, leave it unformatted, and then extract the files there? Is it that easy?

Reply 31 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
11justsomekid wrote:

So I should get a new disk, leave it unformatted, and then extract the files there? Is it that easy?

No. You do have to extract the images, because the boot sector contains information that you won't get from just copying the files.

If I were you I would try to find a computer that has an actual floppy drive and not a USB one, and extract the images there instead.

Also, it's possible your floppy disks are old and defective, and it doesn't matter what you do cause they'll corrupt your data. Maybe you should try brand new floppy disks.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 33 of 39, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
No. You do have to extract the images, because the boot sector contains information that you won't get from just copying the fil […]
Show full quote
11justsomekid wrote:

No. You do have to extract the images, because the boot sector contains information that you won't get from just copying the files.

If I were you I would try to find a computer that has an actual floppy drive and not a USB one, and extract the images there instead.

Also, it's possible your floppy disks are old and defective, and it doesn't matter what you do cause they'll corrupt your data. Maybe you should try brand new floppy disks.

I've been using new ones, and my school's computer still have floppy drives, so maybe I can use those! If not, I know where to find tons of Pentium 4 laptops with FFDs.

Reply 34 of 39, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
11justsomekid wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:
No. You do have to extract the images, because the boot sector contains information that you won't get from just copying the fil […]
Show full quote
11justsomekid wrote:

I've been using new ones, and my school's computer still have floppy drives, so maybe I can use those! If not, I know where to find tons of Pentium 4 laptops with FFDs.

Yeah, new disks. Real floppy drive, and 9x or admin privileges. When it comes to writing raw data you can never be too safe. Also stash some of those P4 laptops away for your future self. Also helps when you need a legacy system for things like this. I've got a PIII Dell ready to boot at any time for legacy ops. As for USB floppy drives the only ones I use are the TEAC ones that are commonly OEM branded. Mine being a Dell model. I know IBM used them as well.

Reply 35 of 39, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

IIRC, low level access to create a boot sector isn't possible on USB floppy drives.

Does that include the early ones that were just a regular floppy disk drive in a 3.5" enclosure?

We really need a large-scale test to confirm what works on which drives.

Reply 36 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:

[..]Yeah, new disks. Real floppy drive, and 9x or admin privileges.[..]

Be careful, Windows 9x is hazardous for backing up and restoring floppies, because it modifies the boot sector without permission.
Seriously, better use Windows 3.1 and WinImage 3.0 for that purpose or a real Operating System, like Windows NT/2000/XP/..
I don't want to know how many disks were killed because of Windows 95/98.

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/the-ihc-damage/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 37 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Be careful, Windows 9x is hazardous for backing up and restoring floppies, because it modifies the boot sector without permissio […]
Show full quote

Be careful, Windows 9x is hazardous for backing up and restoring floppies, because it modifies the boot sector without permission.
Seriously, better use Windows 3.1 and WinImage 3.0 for that purpose or a real Operating System, like Windows NT/2000/XP/..

That does not appear to be of particular concern when it comes to writing copies of downloaded MS-DOS 6.22 installation floppies.

Reply 38 of 39, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Jo22 wrote:
Be careful, Windows 9x is hazardous for backing up and restoring floppies, because it modifies the boot sector without permissio […]
Show full quote

That does not appear to be of particular concern when it comes to writing copies of downloaded MS-DOS 6.22 installation floppies.

My main machine I use for imaging is a Dell C810 with Me. Works perfectly.

yawetaG wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Does that include the early ones that were just a regular floppy disk drive in a 3.5" enclosure?

We really need a large-scale test to confirm what works on which drives.

IDK how possible that will be due to the amount of drive/controller combinations there are out there. My recommendation is have a spare computer to use for imaging. an old laptop can be pretty cheap compared to something like a kryoflux if all you need to do is dos/pc disks.

Reply 39 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Jo22 wrote:
Show full quote

No, not in particular, but does that matter ? It's just a general warning. 😅 I've seen several books (from the library also),
which had their floppies not beeing write-protected. It was especially worse with 5.25" floppy disks.
The librarians were apparently unaware that these disks required their write-protect tab to be applied,
which is exactly the opposite to how it is done on more common 3.5" disks (and ancient 8" disks also).
http://jesusnjim.com/training-tips/floppies.html

This is very sad if someone realizes that most people who lend these books are nolonger using
period-correct (->safe) machines anymore, but some cheapo Windows 9x machines. 🙁
Then all it needs to "ruin" a historic floppy is a newb who clicks on the floppy icon. 😢

xplus93 wrote:

My main machine I use for imaging is a Dell C810 with Me. Works perfectly.

Sure it works. But if the write-protection slider is not in a safe position, you originals may get overwritten.
According to the link, it doesn't require much to trigger that. A simple "dir a:" is all it needs.
Perhaps a click on drive a: does the very same in explorer (speaking under correction, I was never so keen to actually try that).
Anyway, it was not meant as a critique. I was just worried. If you're an careful, experienced user it might be okay for you.
On WinImage, you can also use the verify/compare option to make sure the disk is still fine condition.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//